Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Car is featured in January Panorama, page 68. Not sure I can link since you need to log in with PCA info to read it online. Many thanks to Randy Wells for his wonderful photos and write-up.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice write up. You had me looking amongst my reams of reading material (when I die they can make me a burial mound out of my books, magazines and manuals) for my January Panorama when it showed up in the mail yesterday, the 25th of January. The magazine pictures were superb and your car's condition made it look like a 1983 road test article.

Last edited by jhowell371; 01-26-2018 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-26-2018, 09:52 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I got mine a few days ago, and the first article I read was on your GREAT 944 Bill !

Randy Wells did a superb job on the presentation.

It will be fun to see it at Amelia Island and look forward to chatting with you there.
Thanks for the update ~~~

GREAT Read on really fantastic Porsche
Old 01-27-2018, 05:45 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

MGJ, the 944 won't be at Amelia. '73 911 will be. Looking forward to seeing you there.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

I started this thread over 27 months ago and it’s wild to see that it has almost 50,000 views. I am so very thankful for the entire experience, from reconnecting with the original owner to handing over the 944 to AlfaGTA as he is a great custodian of the car.

I read the Pano article today and it was honest and true, just like our 944. Thank you AlfaGTA for taking such good care of the 944 and sharing it at shows. Had I still owned the car, I can guaranty that over the past 27 months the car would have stayed under car cover in a garage the entire time and I would have neglected it due to my busy work/life schedule.

This is thread belongs to all, and I don’t want to detract from AlfaGTA’s 944 or the Pano article, but to piggyback on my last sentence, I would like to make a statement and I hope it is well received. My father past away recently from sudden cardiac arrest (age 73). He had a good life filled with love and family and is the person that infected my brother and I with the love of cars. I know that death comes to all, but I just wanted to have my dad around a little longer.

My father tried to teach me to work less and spend more time with my family. However, I didn’t listen well. I believe my dad is in a pic on this thread when we collected the 944 and rolled it out of the garage and onto a flat bed. So now, in honor of my father and my family, I am taking my father’s advice and spending more time with my family. If I still had the 944, I would make a point to drive and enjoy it regularly with family and friends.

AlfaGTA and I have communicated on this topic. He has the right balance of work and play and is making good use of his talents, skills and time. I wish him and all continued good health and happiness.

Drive and enjoy your cars....

Old 01-29-2018, 01:01 PM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Immediately recognized the car once I saw the article. Great job by AlfaGTA on keeping it in the shape it deserves!

CTK, my condolences for your loss. We call this a car community for a reason, because while we like to focus on the cars it is really all about the people. The 944 community is one of the best I've ever encountered, make sure you keep active in it! Unfortunately sometimes it takes the toughest of times to teach us the most meaningful lessons. My family went through a similar sudden loss a couple years ago and it was very difficult. Keep your loved ones close and make the most out of every day we are given!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Steven,

I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your Dad.

Hold his memories near to your heart and know we here collectively send the very best your way.

You have my number and if you ever just wish to talk, give me a ring
Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Steven, sorry for of the untimely loss of your dad, but glad to hear you are heeding his advice on life. Your dad was a wise man, pass his message down.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you screamin94z, MGJ and jhowell. I had a great relationship with my father and in his last year we vacationed together and did the Porsche driving school/experience. My father was not fast on the track (Lol). He just liked being there with me. I want to be the father to my kids that my father was to me. I wish that for all of you too.

My 991.2 GT3 (manual trans) will arrive at the end of April. I will post a link to the appropriate RL thread when I take delivery. My dad helped me spec the car. So, upon delivery, my first order of business will be to place my father's pic in the car and then drive it to the cemetery and toast to my father with my family.

On another note, I would love to meet AlfaGTA and MGJ in person; maybe at the Porsche parade in MO or some other place. My oldest daughter (8) loves the Porsche brand and I think the Parade (or some other events) may be a fun for her too.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:29 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Let's make a plan !

I am already planning to be at Amelia Island at the Concours..... and then follow it up with a 10 day stay at Bike Week in Daytona. Hopefully I will be accepted into the Parade at the Ozarks this summer. ( Have not had good luck registering the last couple of years.) How does any of this work for any of you ? I have to say I would love to meet EVERYONE here on this forum page that has commented. Joe Howell, how about you coming on down with one of your stellar 944s ? Let me see that series one beauty first tho before Bill does, because he may just haul that dude back to Tacoma with him !

Your remarks about your Dad gave me a real lump in my throat. I struggle with my Dad who will turn 93 this July with his mortality. ( he started a bit later in life with having children and I was his first born. ) He also is the reason I have a passion for vintage cars, bikes, and sports cars and his passion for driving extended to my younger brother as well.

There will be a huge hole in our family when he passes to his next life in the eternal realm.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When and where is the Ozarks parade? I live in SW MO.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Parade is 8-14 July at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Osage Beach, MO. According to the club site, registration is open. I won't make it, but for anyone reasonably nearby it should be well worth it. I went to '17 event in Spokane because it wasn't far away. I took two cars to the concours, which turned out to be a little too much "fun." My 911 scored 298.3, good enough for a gold rating. I got 0.7 points off for incorrect parts (difference of opinion), 0.3 points off for hood gaps (my bad) and 0.7 points off for dirt and dust (grease on hood latch and door hinge circlip as examples). It was my first Parade and I guess I wasn't quite ready for the level of examination.

Will attend Amelia Island Concours on 11 March because Parade car will be in the Porsche Carrera Class. Have been wanting to attend this event for years, but talk about a long way from Tacoma, WA.... They will also have a Martini Car Class at the concours as well as a Werks Reunion the Friday before.

Steven and I have spoken about our dads. He will keep him in his heart forever. Mine died, suddenly, 27 years ago and I think about him every day. My three brothers and I toast him with adult beverages whenever we get together.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:32 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I just had to add that I went thru this entire forum posting ..... yes all 342 posts so far, and refreshed my memory with just how great of a treasure this find was.

For both CTK ( Steven ) and AlfaGTA ( Bill )

And I also re-read the article in the Road Scholars write up and the story in our PCA magazine, both written by Randy Wells.

Wow.
Just a REALLY Great sportscar.

Folks, if you don't belong to Porsche Club and get the monthly magazine Panorama, you are only cheating yourselves. A Great Club, Great members, and a club magazine with no equal.

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)