Notices

Another UCR PCA email

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM
ucrwebmstr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile UCR Forums

I do the website for the UCR. Yes, I'm jealous of the rennlist forums. I think one of the main limitations of the UCR forums is the display of the user's real name, although from what I've seen of this thread, there is less anonymity than I thought. The user's real name is there to reduce the amount of moderation that needs to be done.

If you have any suggestions to improve the UCR site, I'm happy to consider them, assuming I am still around, as alluded to by one of the posters.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
+2

What makes Rennlist Canada great is that we manage to organize Fun Runs (that are larger and better organized than the UCR's), hold weekly "socials" every Saturday morning where newcomers are immediately made to feel welcome, organize and run private Porsche-only track events that provide more seat time and smiles per $ than the UCR DEs, and hold special events ( karting, detailing session, tech sessions,etc...) without a board of directors tangled up in petty politics and red tape; imagine that!?
Perhaps the UCR executive could learn a thing or two about running a club for Porsche enthusiasts from this place. If you can't do that, then as Chris D suggested, take this poisonous crap elsewhere...maybe in the general forum of the UCR?...but then again, nobody seems to post much of interest to true Porsche enthusiasts there!

FYI: I too am a PCA member as are the majority of people on this forum.
+3 and we would not be "Match Fixing" if we held our own Concours...

Why are we having all the UCR guys signing up on here?

Originally Posted by pickering993
+1

Please take this political BS somewhere else...its not wanted on Rennlist

Last edited by Zookie; 11-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zookie
+3 and we would not be "Match Fixing" if we held our own Concours... :
Why are we having all the UCR guys signing up on here?

Its more fun here
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Webmaster - FWIW, the only moderation this forum has required over the past three years is the odd for sale post by a non-member.

Glad to see more UCR guys on here

Best,
Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Richard: welcome to Rennlist where people like each other.
Post of the year!

Originally Posted by pongobaz
+2

What makes Rennlist Canada great is that we manage to organize Fun Runs (that are larger and better organized than the UCR's), hold weekly "socials" every Saturday morning where newcomers are immediately made to feel welcome, organize and run private Porsche-only track events that provide more seat time and smiles per $ than the UCR DEs, and hold special events ( karting, detailing session, tech sessions,etc...) without a board of directors tangled up in petty politics and red tape; imagine that!?
Perhaps the UCR executive could learn a thing or two about running a club for Porsche enthusiasts from this place. If you can't do that, then as Chris D suggested, take this poisonous crap elsewhere...maybe in the general forum of the UCR?...but then again, nobody seems to post much of interest to true Porsche enthusiasts there!

FYI: I too am a PCA member as are the majority of people on this forum.
Couldn't agree more, except the part about being a UCR member. I let my membership lapse, and now I remember why
Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 PM
ucrwebmstr
3rd Gear

Default Moderation

Bob:

I've followed a few posts on your main site that were deleted.

I see a lot of accusations in this thread that would probably not have been made if real names were attached. Interestingly enough, most of the moderation I have had to do concerned `killphil` Downe, and Richard Bain.

Zookie accuses the UCR of fixing the concours, without explanation or substantiation. Actually, I ran the 2010 coucours with 4 other people from the club. We thought it was a great event. Judging was people`s choice.

And why did someone try to sell tires in the middle of the thread?

Some of your posters seem very territorial.

UCR is open to new ideas. In the two years I have been webmaster, I have received only two suggestions from non-board members. I implemented one, the other is still in the works. No one has suggested anything in this thread other than that we are bad.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

webmaster - sorry don't know your name. My post referred to this forum. With 60,000 participants on Rennlist, a few over the top posts do get deleted. In the Canada section, people are well behaved. Sounds like you have a few colorful characters in UCR.

Best,
Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by SportsCarBoutique
This type of conversation is not necessary - UCR members don't need this type of BS.
Can't say that I agree... If we don't read the posts, and don't respond, the thread would pretty much dissapear... so it is obviously worthwhile.

As a long retired UCR member, I can tell you that I find these posts interesting, and if they feel like bringing the fight over hear... go nuts. Besides nobody is forcing me to read the posts...
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
PPo
Drifting

For what it is worth... Every previous encounter with Richard Bain, and the entire Bain group, at UCR DE weekends was very positive. Helpfull group, solid instructors who really just want to enjoy the weekend... and that was a long time ago, I have no idea if they changed, but I doubt those characteristcs would change...

Also, from my experience, Del Bruce also seemed to have his head screwed on straight when it came to priorities. The club is for the members to enjoy Porsche onwership, not to advance the smug sense of self satisfaction of those whose parents didn't love them enough.

It's a club...no different then a tree fort in the woods when you where kids. If it burns down, people will probably be upset for a day... but in the big scheme of things, screw the club, spend time with your friends and family.

What's that? Your friends and family don't talk to you anymore? Oh... now I understand why some people get concerened of losing power in the club. You alienated yourself from friends and family because of your self serving personality. Now, because you have enough money to buy a Porsche, you think that others who own the cars should somehow bow to your commands. You have no life outside of the club because you are a ***** by nature... I feel sorry for you if anybody that meets that description is reading this post. But do yourself a favour, sell the Porsche, visit a therapist, and learn how to interact with your family and try to develop friendships outside of a club. UCR members are only being nice to you because they have too... not because they want too...
Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

You crazy Ontario guys keep the Canada section interesting. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 PM
akw
Racer

Default Welcome to Rennlist!

reacp911, ucrwebmstr - welcome to Rennlist!

You have broken the golden rule. Your first post must contain an introduction and pics of your car.

Our resident hospitality director (not an officially elected position) has written two posts that help newcomers get their feet wet in the Rennlist forums.

Top 10 of Rennlist

If you are confused about which forum is the correct one for you to be posting in....our hosptility director also has a solution for that.

Is this the right forum?

Reposted below for your edutaintment

Top 10 of rennlist
1. Lurk for a while ..get to know the character .. and characters of any forum .. know what you are wading into

2. Introduce yourself in your first post like you would anywhere you are meeting people new.. talk about you and your car .. well really just your car .. we don't care much about you ..

3. If it is your first post and you are really stuck for help we wil give some latitude ..but your second post better have an introduction

4. if you are a newbie prepare to be hazed ... the army is a tough place to be too , but once you are in you are in .. suck it up buttercup, it's all part of the culture..

5. No gay-*** self portraits in your Avatar.. this is a Porsche forum after all . if you want to put a picture of your ugly grinning mug up there go to the 944 forum ... ( scroll down through the cool Avatars on this thread alone .. awesome ! )

5a Exception made for a short while for a REALLY hot chick .. better not be significant other however cause somebody around here is gonna say something , you can bet on it ..

6. must have skin thicker than a single ply butt wipe.. that goes without saying around here .

7. If you ask an opinion your gonna get it .. don't come here fishing for compliments , people here feel free to say what they feel ..

8. See what you can learn , there is a lot of knowledge here .

9. If someone helps you repost and tell us your final outcome and what resolved your issue ..

10 .... have fun , take it for what it is .. sometimes you get the bear , sometimes the bear gets you .. and we have some Big *** bears 'round these parts..

Is this the right forum? How to tell

If your post starts with:

• “ me and my dad bought this car” or “ I am a student with no money and my car broke “ -> 944 Forum

• “ my car is rusting from underneath me and I can’t stop it “ -> 914 forum

• “My car engine rattled, stopped and burped out a giant puddle of oil on to the ground the size of the Exon Valdez” -> 996 forum

• “My girlfiend’s car engine rattled, stopped and burped out a giant puddle of oil on to the ground the size of the Exon Valdez” -> Boxster forum

• “The car my girlfriend said I could buy engine rattled, stopped and burped out a giant puddle of oil on to the ground the size of the Exon Valdez”
    -> Cayman forum

• “I have a wicked fast car but the interior has completely fallen to pieces “ -> 928 Forum

• “My VW is broken “ ->356 forum

• If your post starts with “ My Audi is broken “ -> 924 forum

• “I can’t decide if I should get the alcantra wrapped drink holder or refrigerated glove box …. “ -> 997 forum

• If your post starts with … I can’t believe I got this modern Porsche so cheap!.... 996 3.4 forum

• “my all wheel drive is bust and it would be cheaper to buy another car than fix it -> 964 C4 forum

• “my engine check light keeps coming on and it is a SAI issue ->993 forum

• “I have a ton of money and wanted to be noticed “ -> Panamera Forum

• "I wanted a Porsche that I could push F-150s off the road with “ -> Cayenne Forum

• If your post starts with .. “ I swear those wheels were in a straight line before I hit the gas“ -> 930 forum

• If your post starts with “ If I am lucky I might be able to sell this and have enough to buy a 930” -> 996 Turbo Forum

• “I wanna look cool but really can’t afford to , or afford the insurance ..” ->911 TL forum

• “My 911 seams god awefull slow and doesn’t even look as nice “ ->912 forum

• If your post starts with “ My $100,000 Carbon fibre interior has gone all yellow -> Carrera GT forum

• “somebody stole my back seats “ -> GT3 forum

• “somebody stole my back seats and now it goes even faster “ -> GT2 forum.

• "oh my god are tires for this thing ever expensive " -> GT3RS froum

• And finally if your post starts with , My engine backfired, I can’t get it into second, my car wont start. I burn too much oil . I hear a pht pht pht when I idle, only the left front tire rubs, I took the valve cover off and a stud fell out , then my friend you are definitely in the right place….

-------------------

Originally Posted by reacp911
I suggest you actually carefully read the Ultimatum to Tekala written by Downe, and referred to by Bain. Ask yourself if the writer of such an email has his head on straight.

At one of this year's DE's I saw Downe standing on the steps of the Mosport registration shack screaming at the UCR webmaster to resign. Not a class act.

I've been a club member for a long time. It's a great club. The club exec's work for free. The club is not broken. Yet. Elect Downe and it may become.
Originally Posted by ucrwebmstr
I do the website for the UCR. Yes, I'm jealous of the rennlist forums. I think one of the main limitations of the UCR forums is the display of the user's real name, although from what I've seen of this thread, there is less anonymity than I thought. The user's real name is there to reduce the amount of moderation that needs to be done.

If you have any suggestions to improve the UCR site, I'm happy to consider them, assuming I am still around, as alluded to by one of the posters.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the comic relief Adam. Clive at his best
Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Ronan,
I got them in stock as well as the new Pirelli Trofeo - in case you want to try those....

Originally Posted by Ronan
Ilker: no winter tires but will need new set of PS Cups for RS.1 in the Spring. Dealer tells me they are down to wear indicators on inside.....
Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ucrwebmstr
And why did someone try to sell tires in the middle of the thread?
I think it was meant as much in humour as in anything else. Apparently that's something the UCR guys can learn from.

UCR is open to new ideas. In the two years I have been webmaster, I have received only two suggestions from non-board members. I implemented one, the other is still in the works. No one has suggested anything in this thread other than that we are bad.
Really? When I was a UCR member, suggestions were solicited from the membership. I made several suggestions, and pretty much every one of them got tossed aside, with a "no, we're not interested in moving in that direction" response. For example, I noticed in the financials that DEs were money makers for the club. Not huge, but still in the black. So I suggested weekday DEs, with the lower cost and the different turnout, as many other groups run these successfully, and many people (such as myself) find it much easier to take a day off work than devote a weekend to a DE. "Not interested" was the response. I suggested DEs at other less-expensive tracks that were closer to the GTA than Shannonville. Again, "Not interested". (though I do believe 1 or 2 have occurred at TMP since then). I gave up after that.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Christien
Really? When I was a UCR member, suggestions were solicited from the membership. I made several suggestions, and pretty much every one of them got tossed aside, with a "no, we're not interested in moving in that direction" response. For example, I noticed in the financials that DEs were money makers for the club. Not huge, but still in the black. So I suggested weekday DEs, with the lower cost and the different turnout, as many other groups run these successfully, and many people (such as myself) find it much easier to take a day off work than devote a weekend to a DE. "Not interested" was the response. I suggested DEs at other less-expensive tracks that were closer to the GTA than Shannonville. Again, "Not interested". (though I do believe 1 or 2 have occurred at TMP since then). I gave up after that.
Great suggestions!!! A DE during the week at Mosport would be great!

I think Arnaud's Rennlist lapping days rock...

Quick Reply: Another UCR PCA email