Notices

Another UCR PCA email

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
I think Arnaud's Rennlist lapping days rock...
+1 too bad i could not attend this year due to Tire Issues
Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 AM
ucrwebmstr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions to UCR

Originally Posted by Christien
Really? When I was a UCR member, suggestions were solicited from the membership. I made several suggestions, and pretty much every one of them got tossed aside, with a "no, we're not interested in moving in that direction" response. For example, I noticed in the financials that DEs were money makers for the club. Not huge, but still in the black. So I suggested weekday DEs, with the lower cost and the different turnout, as many other groups run these successfully, and many people (such as myself) find it much easier to take a day off work than devote a weekend to a DE. "Not interested" was the response. I suggested DEs at other less-expensive tracks that were closer to the GTA than Shannonville. Again, "Not interested". (though I do believe 1 or 2 have occurred at TMP since then). I gave up after that.
I don`t believe the response from the UCR would have been `not interested`. You should provide the reasons given. I suspect for the weekday DE`s it would have been something like `UCR DEs are 100% volunteer events. It`s hard to get volunteers during the week.` The weekday lapping events I`ve been to have all all from commercial enterprises. If you are a UCR member and post these or any suggestions, you will get a response from the track team or other responsible person.

As posted previously in this thread, clubs such as UCR are always looking for volunteers. The desperation for office shown in this election is an aberation.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

No, you're right, there was more to it, I just summed it up. Here's the thread, if anyone cares to read it:

http://www.pcaucr.org/index.php/nonucr/postlist/2/6275

Basically, a small degree of interest was expressed, but nothing came of it. My impression was that it would be a fair amount of effort to setup, and several reasons were put forth why NOT to do it. Personally, I've always worked from a perspective of trying to find ways to make things happen, rather than reasons to not try in the first place. I got the impression the exec was coming from the other perspective.

IIRC, the thread was started in response to Rob Sutherland's request for ideas for the club to make more money, as the financials were in the red at the time. I looked at them in the same way I look at my own company's financials, look at what's making money, and see how to exploit that. That's how businesses get ahead. True, the club is non-profit and volunteer run but if your books are in the red, you have to think like a business to get out of it. That was the real frustration I found. They asked for suggestions, a very viable one was presented, they chose to ignore it.

This is really making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill, though. It wasn't the reason I let my membership lapse, just part of the general culture that I wasn't getting anything out of.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Interesting that this thread attracted over a thousand views.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

Chris,
I believe that UCR has run some weekday events both this year and last...so your request actually was fulfilled. One of those days was only $50 (which went to charity) sponsored by Michelin, and I think 3 run groups.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ucrwebmstr
'Some of your posters seem very territorial'.
After 3 or 4 posts here, you:

1. Have advice to our moderator.
2. Tell us we're 'territorial'?

Reminds me why I don't attend pitifully supported UCR meetings. Someone is sending you a message but you’re not hearing...

Too bad I can't shop around for different PCA regions for membership. I've never seen crap like this in over 25 years of being a member in CASC and SCCA. Oh, and you can keep your Buzz beer.

Here's Territorial...
Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Make it stop.......... this began as something that political BS and it has continued to get worse.
The actual membership numbers of the UCR don't represent the subtotal of people active with the UCR events. The reason for that is understood by anyone who's followed this thread.

Politics and cars don't mix, or politics and recreation for that matter. Stuff it and lets move on.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Come on chopperz you have to admit this is pretty entertaining .. and as mentioned above this thread has over a thousand views ...
I have been a PCA member for 15 years and a Rennlist member since it was a mailing list so for about the same time. I can tell you without question the Rennlist group is a solid bunch of guys that would never turn on each other have a lot of fun together.Sure we tend to disagree at times and get into some heated discusions but at the end of the day the group doesn't sound as nearly as fragmented as UCR apears to be.
There are some great guys over there such as Bill, Peter, and Ken but for the most part the UCR needs to give there collective heads a shake .. the fact the " Rennlist guys" are becoming so popular amongst Porsche owners should be sending UCR a very strong message ... what are the rennlist guys doing that the UCR guys are missing ?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by guykoken
You should attend. The decorum will surprise you. My bet, my hope, is that everyone will be well behaved. There is great comraderie among us. This is an unfortunate aberration.
Well i gotta tell ya i am there quite often .. the fact you didn't know that or who i am may be the root of the whole problem with UCR ... i don't track therefore no one knows who i am ...
Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PPo

What's that? Your friends and family don't talk to you anymore? Oh... now I understand why some people get concerened of losing power in the club. You alienated yourself from friends and family because of your self serving personality. Now, because you have enough money to buy a Porsche, you think that others who own the cars should somehow bow to your commands. You have no life outside of the club because you are a ***** by nature... I feel sorry for you if anybody that meets that description is reading this post. But do yourself a favour, sell the Porsche, visit a therapist, and learn how to interact with your family and try to develop friendships outside of a club. UCR members are only being nice to you because they have too... not because they want too...
The Rennlist guys ARE my family ....

okay okay .. i couldn't pass up such a kodak moment ...
Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
The Rennlist guys ARE my family ....

okay okay .. i couldn't pass up such a kodak moment ...

But seriously; I bet you've formed more friendships in the last 5 years with the Rennlist crowd and all our activities, than in 15 years with the UCR.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

very true ... and even the guys who don't like me at least know who i am .. who also happen to be in the majority .. especially now after my 911 post has been made public .. ( thanks Adam) .. I better stay away from the lynching tree ...
Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
Come on chopperz you have to admit this is pretty entertaining .. and as mentioned above this thread has over a thousand views ...
I have been a PCA member for 15 years and a Rennlist member since it was a mailing list so for about the same time. I can tell you without question the Rennlist group is a solid bunch of guys that would never turn on each other have a lot of fun together.Sure we tend to disagree at times and get into some heated discusions but at the end of the day the group doesn't sound as nearly as fragmented as UCR apears to be.
There are some great guys over there such as Bill, Peter, and Ken but for the most part the UCR needs to give there collective heads a shake .. the fact the " Rennlist guys" are becoming so popular amongst Porsche owners should be sending UCR a very strong message ... what are the rennlist guys doing that the UCR guys are missing ?
I totally agree that it's entertaining, I'm even willing to suggest the the UCR guys in the middle of it all are wishing they never brought their soiled panties into this arena.
I'll even step further out on a limb and suggest that out of the 1300+ views that there has been a much smarter group of US PCA leadership members who are actively documenting a "what not to do" manual for their existing/future regional leadership teams.

Probably saying, "did you see what those idiots did in Canada, dang those boys are crazy"
Old 11-08-2010, 04:16 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperzz
I totally agree that it's entertaining, I'm even willing to suggest the the UCR guys in the middle of it all are wishing they never brought their soiled panties into this arena.
I'll even step further out on a limb and suggest that out of the 1300+ views that there has been a much smarter group of US PCA leadership members who are actively documenting a "what not to do" manual for their existing/future regional leadership teams.

Probably saying, "did you see what those idiots did in Canada, dang those boys are crazy"
+1. 1300+ views here and nothing but crickets over on the UCR forum.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chopperzz

why does the song " just blame Canada " come to mind !!!

Quick Reply: Another UCR PCA email