Notices

Porsches in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 AM
tonga3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of you rust proof your vehicles if you are driving them in the winter, if so who do yo use?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
I'd put my money on Pongobaz, he is the man when it comes to car care,... he drives his car year round and it looks pristine.
I hope you are rich.

You haven't seen my daily driver which gets cleaned twice a year if that and that after being driven where we have tons of snow and salt. We all have different ideas of what "pristine" is. I've seen some of these so-called pristine cars.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tonga3
Do any of you rust proof your vehicles if you are driving them in the winter, if so who do yo use?
I have used Krown since 1990.

Another section at work tested it, as well as a few other brands, about 10 years ago. The Krown came up on top. But then I already knew that based on my own vehicle.

That same vehicle was sold 16 years after we bought it new and it was rust free. BTW, it was a daily driver and driven in Montreal and then later in Ontario where they use plenty of salt on the roads. This car is still on the road, btw with the original battery when it was sold (I look after stuff)...incredible battery!

My present 1999 Honda CR-V is completely rust free...that includes the underside (brake and fuel lines, etc). Control arms will always rust a bit.

BTW, no holes were drilled in any of my vehicles. There are plenty of rubber plugs covering access holes and I take my door trim panels off.

You want to use T40 (tan or brown coloured) instead of the T32 (pink coloured), especially under the car. The T40 is a tad thicker. I buy Krown T40 in pails and having been applying it myself for the last 8 years.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone with a new p-car live in an area where they would require a block-heater when parking in bitter cold?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:48 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I hope you are rich.

You haven't seen my daily driver which gets cleaned twice a year if that and that after being driven where we have tons of snow and salt. We all have different ideas of what "pristine" is. I've seen some of these so-called pristine cars.
Alex,

I saw his car in person today, and it's pristine, like mine

Nice SY 993 by the way, it looks pristine (at least in your pic). Have you had it since new? I bet you take care of it like it was your first born.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MattAu
Alex,

I saw his car in person today, and it's pristine, like mine
It may be, but all things being equal, one that isn't winter or rain driven will always be in better shape. We're talking different winters. A TO winter to me would be a treat.

Nice SY 993 by the way, it looks pristine (at least in your pic).
Pristine enough for me to buy, but I'm taking it further. This is no reflection on the previous owner who I thank. Taking it further is a matter of personal pride and the love of tinkering.

Have you had it since new? I bet you take care of it like it was your first born.
Unfortunately not; I bought it last September. Here is the story.

Take care of it? Don't worry, I'm seeking psychiatric help. LOL
Old 01-09-2010, 03:38 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

If you do, it's a guaranteed way of voiding your Porsche corrosion warranty. Here's a few crappy cellphone pics of our "winter beaters" from this morning's GTG. Yeah, those look like they're now worth half of the value of a garage queen.
Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
entdoc
Instructor

I had an '05 C2 coupe that I drove year round and now have an '08 C2S cab that is in it's second year of winter storage. Aside from the higher mileage, I do think winter took its toll on the first car in terms of paint pitting, carpet soiling, etc. I also think that there are some parts that will rust more quickly with repeated salt exposure. I knew that I wanted to keep my cab much longer (probably doubling as a casket some day) hence my decision to store it. I really don't think it will depreciate any less than a winter driven car - I just won't have to pay to replace it quite as soon.

I would also add that I didn't really enjoy the car that much in winter - too small and noisy and I needed the jaws of life to get in and out wearing my parka and boots. I also felt that the suspension seemed overly stiff in cold temperatures making winter potholes painful. I like a nice cushy ride in winter and I appreciate the Porsche even more in the spring.

David
Old 01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Here's a few crappy cellphone pics of our "winter beaters" from this morning's GTG.
Ahh damn.... I missed picture day ?!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:54 PM
tonga3
Advanced

Thanks for the info, but will it void a corrosion warranty and how long is the warranty. It's an '05 Cayenne S. Thanks
I have used Krown since 1990.

Another section at work tested it, as well as a few other brands, about 10 years ago. The Krown came up on top. But then I already knew that based on my own vehicle.

That same vehicle was sold 16 years after we bought it new and it was rust free. BTW, it was a daily driver and driven in Montreal and then later in Ontario where they use plenty of salt on the roads. This car is still on the road, btw with the original battery when it was sold (I look after stuff)...incredible battery!

My present 1999 Honda CR-V is completely rust free...that includes the underside (brake and fuel lines, etc). Control arms will always rust a bit.

BTW, no holes were drilled in any of my vehicles. There are plenty of rubber plugs covering access holes and I take my door trim panels off.

You want to use T40 (tan or brown coloured) instead of the T32 (pink coloured), especially under the car. The T40 is a tad thicker. I buy Krown T40 in pails and having been applying it myself for the last 8 years.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 PM
MattAu
Instructor

It may be, but all things being equal, one that isn't winter or rain driven will always be in better shape. We're talking different winters. A TO winter to me would be a treat.

Pristine enough for me to buy, but I'm taking it further. This is no reflection on the previous owner who I thank. Taking it further is a matter of personal pride and the love of tinkering.

Unfortunately not; I bought it last September. Here is the story.

Take care of it? Don't worry, I'm seeking psychiatric help. LOL

Oh, well that's a given, from strickly a cosmetic perspective, even a car that sits indoor will be better than one that sits outdoor. But I guess it's questionable how that may or may not affect the value of the two cars. Especially on an older Porsche that isn't exactly a collector's exotic. Maybe a 993 Turbo.

Just curious, since you didn't buy the car new, how did you confirm that the previous owner or owners had never driven the car in the winter or in the rain, or worse, (at least according to some) had taken it to the track!?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Originally Posted by pongobaz
If you do, it's a guaranteed way of voiding your Porsche corrosion warranty. Here's a few crappy cellphone pics of our "winter beaters" from this morning's GTG. Yeah, those look like they're now worth half of the value of a garage queen.

Thanks for that! How am I going to tell the next buyer that my car was never winter driven and all the salt spray was from other cars?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:30 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, but will it void a corrosion warranty and how long is the warranty. It's an '05 Cayenne S. Thanks
From Porsche.ca:

Warranty Periods

The warranty period begins on the day of delivery to the customer or the date the vehicle was registered as a demo. The following coverage applies:

* 4 years / 80,000 kms for all new vehicles whichever occurs first*;
* 2 years warranty for genuine Porsche parts, remanufactured parts and accessories, which are used or sold outside of warranty work. The warranty period for Porsche parts which are used in connection with warranty work ends contemporaneously with the warranty period for the purchased item which has become defective;
* 8 years / 130 000 kms Emission design and performance warranty
* 10-year corrosion warranty against perforation in the bodyshell (please refer to the conditions in the Owner's Manual and Warranty and Maintenance handbook)

Porsche pre-owned Porsche Approved Warranty is up to a maximum of 2 years / 160 000 kms, once the vehicle is outside the original new vehicle warranty period. A total of 6 years or 160 000kms whichever comes first.

Warranty can be obtained from any Porsche dealership across the world.

*Applies for vehicles purchased and registered in the USA and Canada. (If bought outside the USA and Canada, warranty is 2 years / unlimited kilometres).
Old 01-09-2010, 05:32 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah, those look like they're now worth half of the value of a garage queen.
I wish my garage queen was worth twice as much as a driver. It's not. What mybe 5% more? The only thing I can compare it to is a brand new car, as far as condition. I have a camry I drive daily. I feel bad beating the **** out of it sometimes, let alone a Porsche. Anyone that drives a Porsche in the winter has *****, I will give you that. Just remember I live in Alberta. Winters here kills cars, dead. Name:  Picture 001.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  36.5 KB
Old 01-09-2010, 06:06 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red996
I wish my garage queen was worth twice as much as a driver. It's not. What mybe 5% more? The only thing I can compare it to is a brand new car, as far as condition. I have a camry I drive daily. I feel bad beating the **** out of it sometimes, let alone a Porsche. Anyone that drives a Porsche in the winter has *****, I will give you that. Just remember I live in Alberta. Winters here kills cars, dead. Attachment 411519
You're right, Alberta winters are a lot harsher than in TO and all the sand and gravel they use on the roads gets pricey in replacement windshields. As an Ex-Montrealer, I've lived through some pretty lousy winters and if I still lived there, I still think I'd drive the car year round albeit more judiciously based on what the espected conditions were.
It's all about picking your battles, imho. My career affords me the luxury of not having to commute to an office (only to meet clients actually), so when the weather/road conditions are truly awful I just work from home via email/phone or take the Infiniti FX instead; and yes TO has had some pretty bad winter days that didn't require military intervention. Ironically, my C4S handles better in the snow than the FX!
Do I treat the FX to the same care as I do the Porsche? Of course not...it's a great car but it's a lease and I have zero emotional attachment to it and to preserving its future value. I drive my Porsche in the winter not because I have to, but because I want to and life is too short to deprive yourself of simple pleasures.

Quick Reply: Porsches in the winter