Notices

Tons of 911’s for sale!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 12:11 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
How can anyone justify that little depreciation over 6 - 7 years?
If people are willing to pay those prices there is nothing to justify. Don't forget that the supply of new cars in Canada is limited, prices have increased substantially, and the luxury tax has a major impact. $117k may seem like a lot relative to a $122k MSRP but a current 911 Carrera base with zero options is $144k on the Porsche Canada configurator (including destination, fees, and luxury tax).

Compared to a new car that $117k (likely less after negotiation) with immediate availability looks pretty good IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vise:
987981 (10-19-2023), SToronto (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 01:20 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
If people are willing to pay those prices there is nothing to justify. Don't forget that the supply of new cars in Canada is limited, prices have increased substantially, and the luxury tax has a major impact. $117k may seem like a lot relative to a $122k MSRP but a current 911 Carrera base with zero options is $144k on the Porsche Canada configurator (including destination, fees, and luxury tax).

Compared to a new car that $117k (likely less after negotiation) with immediate availability looks pretty good IMO.

Definitely. Inflation doesn't just affect the price of new goods...all ships rise with the tide.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:28 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 596 Likes on 263 Posts

Exactly.

A new 911 is basically a $200k car in most instances.

Old 10-19-2023, 01:51 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Why not buy new then?
If I thought that these depreciation levels were the new norm, then I would. However, I just don't see how the post-pandemic supply chain supports that. Now, if a car company makes a sales decision to cut supply to Canada, that is a different situation. I've heard lots of stories recently about buyers backing out of cars due to the recent price increases and the luxury tax - I got my Corvette deposits back for that reason. Look at the autotrader and see how many new 992's are for sale at dealers compared to during the pandemic. Just my personal opinion, but I don't think these low depreciation rates are sustainable with growing availability. Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:00 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Definitely. Inflation doesn't just affect the price of new goods...all ships rise with the tide.
I don't disagree with you. However, I think that factors like low interest rates, fomo and pandemic-related wealth drove car prices up more than inflation. If those 3 things normalize, demand has to fall resulting in pricing or supply changes.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:07 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M718R
@Storonto - Yes I agree, the discounts will not be meaningful and very small... Not talking 20K off a new 911 here. With the constant increases to MSRP and LUX tax they will / have hit a ceiling where customers will curtail the purchase. Just my opinion, I personally believe the amount of new 911's dealers are going to sell in 2024 will be far less than what they sold in 2022 for example. Let's see how many 992 911's remain for sale in Canada by the end of the summer. I predict we will have more than there is currently. Time will tell.

As of today there are 278 992's for sale... I will update this in September and see if we are higher... supply and demand
344 992's for sale as of this morning on Autotrader.
The following users liked this post:
M718R (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 02:13 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Now, if a car company makes a sales decision to cut supply to Canada, that is a different situation.
I've heard (off the record) that is exactly what Porsche has done in Canada and it makes sense given it is (or was forever) their least profitable market globally. They make more per vehicle in the US + China etc than here so it is good business to direct the limited global supply to more profitable markets.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:22 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

I've heard (off the record) that is exactly what Porsche has done in Canada and it makes sense given it is (or was forever) their least profitable market globally. They make more per vehicle in the US + China etc than here so it is good business to direct the limited global supply to more profitable markets.
GM did the same thing with the Corvette starting with the C8. They also just stopped supporting the exchange rate in canada and moved it from 25% to 35% vs USD.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:31 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

I just want 991.2 GT3RS prices to come down!

Waiting to see more of those on the market, should be people trading in on 992 3RS. But I'm surprised how little there are on the market, though we should see 3RS deliveries increasing into next year.

That being said, 992 3RS is a super expensive car compared to the previous if you start optioning it up. Price increase, lux tax.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Maybe some of Porsche owners are dreamers and are living on the edge financially. You know people. They all think they deserve it and live with massive debt. Maybe the mortgage is more important.

As for the luxury tax, that is really part of the sale price even if you buy used (I am assuming the luxury tax is only on new cars), because if the seller wants another luxury car, he has to pay the luxury tax as well on it. Its not a loss as HST is.

Why wouldn't I add the luxury tax to my 2015 GTS? I know I will pay it if I replace it with a new one.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:28 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Maybe some of Porsche owners are dreamers and are living on the edge financially. You know people. They all think they deserve it and live with massive debt. Maybe the mortgage is more important.

As for the luxury tax, that is really part of the sale price even if you buy used (I am assuming the luxury tax is only on new cars), because if the seller wants another luxury car, he has to pay the luxury tax as well on it. Its not a loss as HST is.

Why wouldn't I add the luxury tax to my 2015 GTS? I know I will pay it if I replace it with a new one.
You expect others to pay you for a tax that you never paid in the first place because you have to pay it on a future car should you buy one new? That is an interesting perspective.

Last edited by Onami; 10-19-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:34 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I just want 991.2 GT3RS prices to come down!

Waiting to see more of those on the market, should be people trading in on 992 3RS. But I'm surprised how little there are on the market, though we should see 3RS deliveries increasing into next year.

That being said, 992 3RS is a super expensive car compared to the previous if you start optioning it up. Price increase, lux tax.
My 992RS ( I had ordered it a long time ago so no lux tax) was almost twice the price of my 997.1RS. If I had the lux tax also it would have been more than twice the price. However, I do think prices will come down...there is a lot of personal debt out there and also mortgage renewal to deal with. I would be surprised if we do not see some retrenchment. Prices are silly now and I would not for a moment pay a premium for one.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

You expect others to pay you for a tax that you never paid in the first place because you have to pay it on a future car should you buy one new?
They don't have to buy it. I'm never that desperate to sell. And low mileage cars are always rare. You would know.

But isn't it strange. Seller always think their cars are worth unobtainium, but when they are buyers, cars are worth nothing.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:57 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

2024 will be an interesting year..
Old 10-19-2023, 08:19 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
My 992RS ( I had ordered it a long time ago so no lux tax) was almost twice the price of my 997.1RS. If I had the lux tax also it would have been more than twice the price. However, I do think prices will come down...there is a lot of personal debt out there and also mortgage renewal to deal with. I would be surprised if we do not see some retrenchment. Prices are silly now and I would not for a moment pay a premium for one.
Totally agree. Now is not the time to buy a used GT car with what should come in 4-8 months. Unless you really want it and don't care.

I'm having a hard time swallowing the lux tax pill on high priced cars, like 3RS. I spec one but then that puts me off. Don't want to support it. Ordering a Cayenne and even the $3600 there irritates me.

We need a pullback on numerous fronts. Sooner the better.

Quick Reply: Tons of 911’s for sale!