Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh well, I'm sure you had fun anyway! I'm definitely thinking about joining in next season.

I was obviously mistaken about you having a GPS lap timer. I was looking at something fairly basic like the AIM Solo unit, which seems to sell for US$399 online. I think seeing the lap times would help me focus a bit -- currently I feel like I'm just driving around and around, having lots of fun but not really concentrating on getting faster. Getting the instant feedback of the lap times would help with this, and then there's the detailed analysis that you mention.

Another option is the second unit on this page, which seems to have a lot of features for the money but is a lesser well-known brand.

I'm planning to do the autocross, but it's annoying it's the same day as Bathurst! What do you think the tyre wear will be like on the semi-slicks?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
What do you think the tyre wear will be like on the semi-slicks?
I have completed approx 250 laps of Hampton's, 2 skid pan days, 20 laps at Taupo, 30 laps at Puke, completed a 2 day Targa and done a few thousand KM's on the road on one set of Bridgestone RE55S's.

I probably have two more track days left in them.

In short - I am really surprised at how long they have lasted.

As long as you are not dropping the clutch and laying rubber on the road - I can't see a big deal.

You will probably only get 2 good years out of the tires as the rubber goes off.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default ooops

So I park my GT3 outside Conti's yesterday.

Nek minite...it turns into a Red 360 F1

Time for a change after 8 911's. I'm not going to be banned here now am I ?

I am still staying in the Porsche Club if they allow it. Not sure on that one actually. Anyone know if that's allowed? I'm not that keen on joining the F car club just yet. I might be a bit rough around the edges for that!

Don't bash me too much guys.
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Obsessed
Pro

There can't be that many blue GT3 owners in the Club who were thinking about switching to the dark side, so you must be Graham? Good on you for doing it, you were obviously itching to give it a go...

The PCNZ rules say you don't have to own a Porsche to be a member. I'm not sure if they say "you must not own one of those red cars" though

The car is stunning. First impressions?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Obsessed
Pro

PS That guy at the left of the photo is brilliantly captured -- there's a man who is seriously thinking about how he could rearrange his finances/life to make it work!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude. Big Congratulations. We wont tease you promise. However Id watch the hairy chested guy in the background however as he appears to have his eye on your new ride LOL!
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Dude. Big Congratulations. We wont tease you promise. However Id watch the hairy chested guy in the background however as he appears to have his eye on your new ride LOL!
LOL that hairy chested guy IS Graham. He'll have to sell all his Porsche gear, socks, cap, belt buckles, robe, shoes etc now and go all Ferrari...
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

OK... so they don't all have hairy chests. That was obviously just an urban myth
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:06 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Obsessed, yes that would be me. Macca and Jamie will vouch for me that this swap has been on the cards for years. I never thought it would so soon after buying the GT3 though. I am really stoked with the 360 so far. I get it on Thursday .
Jamie, you forgot the bit about the cardigan, you're slipping mate!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In all serious, what Graham says is true. We've all talked about going to the "dark side" at one time or another and Graham has acted first to tell us what its like over there (and for that we are grateful). It looks like a Magic Bus Graham and I think you made the sensible choice with the 360 ( a good mix of hear and head ). Im sure it will be a blast. Ferrari-chat is a good board with a couple of characters from OZ on there who are always a good laugh and even a few kiwis (yellow 355 spider owner James)....Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Yip Grahams right... he's been talking about it for a while now... The one good thing that comes out of this is not having to listen to him about his scratch he has to itch

Lovely car mate. We just have to come up with a new user name for him now intsead of 993MAN. My suggestion was BolognaiseBoy

P.S more pics Graham and glad you didn't get the one with cow turd yellow interior!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

If I had the coin this would be my pick http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-392268954.htm

or this one that just sold and looked a cracking deal http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=500363549

edit: I just checked that last auctions feedback of the buyer and the sale was never completed?? Wonder what happened?

Crazy market too... look at what this one sold for http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=502456736 Needed a bit of work though and I can imagine you blink in the workshop and there's $20k

Just had the 993 serviced and all up $728.22 to replace Oil & Filters, check all fluids, spark plugs, air, fuel and cabin filters, brakes, lights etc. Replaced wiper blades and full alignment ($75).

2.43hrs Labor @ $90 p/h

Also a bit of labor in there to check noise from diff when reversing. I replaced the Mobil Delvac with Redline MTL and the shift is noticeably better but as I've read there is more "chatter" from the LSD as its working a lot better. To the point the guys could see the wheel "locking up" when reversing causing the LSD chatter.

Last edited by Kiwi Carguy; 09-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 AM
993MAN
Drifting

360 myths exposed

Myth # 1. Oil service is not expensive. $700.00 inc gst. That's a full oil service.
That's less than your Jamie.

Myth # 2. Cambelt change is not $8000.00. It is in fact $under $900.00 inc labour. I never had the chains done on any of my Porsches, but I can pretty much guarantee it would cost more.

The clutch however is expensive at $3500.00. But for a performance car that's not even that bad. Not really. I chose the 360 because of the reliablity.
God help me if I'm wrong!

Jamie, you look a bit different than the last time I saw you.
When you were on that Ferrari bonnet doing the photo shoot, had you just had your hair done?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993MAN
360 myths exposed

Myth # 1. Oil service is not expensive. $700.00 inc gst. That's a full oil service.
That's less than your Jamie.

Myth # 2. Cambelt change is not $8000.00. It is in fact $under $900.00 inc labour. I never had the chains done on any of my Porsches, but I can pretty much guarantee it would cost more.

The clutch however is expensive at $3500.00. But for a performance car that's not even that bad. Not really. I chose the 360 because of the reliablity.
God help me if I'm wrong!

Jamie, you look a bit different than the last time I saw you.
When you were on that Ferrari bonnet doing the photo shoot, had you just had your hair done?
Haha you're hilarious mate. Sheesh if I ever look like that guy on the bonnet god help me lol. Oil service only, on the 911 is about $300-350. My $700 service included wheel alignment etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:46 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

All the reading I've done on the belt change is around 7 hours labour give or take... so they must have some impressively cheap labour rates at CCS cause then on top of that you have the belts and pulleys etc.

FerrariMechanic FYI.

Belts ONLY on a 355, is around 22 hours. Dropping the subframe and replacing ALL fluids. But NOT servicing the car (it does get requested a bit, esp on sales cars)

Belts ONLY on a 360 can be done in around ~6-7 hours. No fluids touched.

I wonder what Forzaworks quote for belts only. I hope for your sake it is $900 but I must admit I'm skeptical and it does go against all the reading I've done and owners I've spoken to.

Comparing to the 911 cam chains they aren't a requirement to change ever 3 years like a Ferrari.

If you haven't checked them out already you may want to consider Forzaworks as well http://www.forzaworks.co.nz/ferrari-...d-vehicle.html

Definitely a thrill to ride in. Had a blast at 200kmph in a 360 Spider that was memorable.

Last edited by Kiwi Carguy; 09-24-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?