Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Old 02-02-2017, 03:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Anyone wishing to base out of central NI for a few fast drive weekend tours of the region (early morning loop to HB back via Gentle Annies, Taranaki runs etc) later in 2017 let us know. Im sure between myself, Scott H, Matt B and Tony R we can billet a small group and put together some interesting/entertaining back road routes...
Sounds like an idea I could sell to Donna albeit you guys apparently set a hangman's pace last time. Might need to have an air cooled group so we don't hold up the water pumpers.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Sounds like an idea I could sell to Donna albeit you guys apparently set a hangman's pace last time. Might need to have an air cooled group so we don't hold up the water pumpers.
We cater for all tastes John. Have a well developed multi RT strategy these days (thanks to Matt B) with regular catch up points - everyone wears smiles regardless of the pace. I think it can work fine. I enjoyed swapping keys last few times always nice to drive different metal. Keeps everyone sensible too...
Old 02-02-2017, 04:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

We cater for all tastes John. Have a well developed multi RT strategy these days (thanks to Matt B) with regular catch up points - everyone wears smiles regardless of the pace. I think it can work fine. I enjoyed swapping keys last few times always nice to drive different metal. Keeps everyone sensible too...
Good to hear. Doug prefers the RS60 for road trips which creates a speed difference, particularly as I run ordinary Hankooks on Herman. Driving at a more leisurely air cooled pace with say Dave leaves everyone with a smile on their dial.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Old 02-02-2017, 07:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oops sorry double post...
Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
I reckon the on throttle behavior of modern turbos is now pretty good with minimal lag lots of torque and rev limits although lower it doesn't really compromise the experience except on track. Where the feel is not so good is off throttle. Good NA is always very sharp on lift off and I think this adds a lot to the feel and responsiveness of the car even driving along at 6/10th. For some reason even the high compression turbos don't really feel like this - M2 doesn't and it will be interesting to see what you think of the Alfa Macca
This is an excellent point Graeme and one I had not considered. It's been a long time since I owned a turbo charged car - the last one was a M5 WRX I bought new in 1998! I do enjoy the off throttle response on my old 993 and current GT3 and I might miss that if what you say is true. Probably less so in a heavy sedan daily driver like the Alfa, but more so in a modern 911 like the current series cars. I had hoped they may have improved that aspect through some electronic trickery but the fundamental issue I suspect remains (namely keeping the pressure in the system for those scroll wheels to keep on turning). Perhaps this is an area electric turbos may have some significant future advantages? I'm not sure on road the difference will be so detrimental but in track I can see where it may rob some feel...
Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is an excellent point Graeme and one I had not considered. It's been a long time since I owned a turbo charged car - the last one was a M5 WRX I bought new in 1998! I do enjoy the off throttle response on my old 993 and current GT3 and I might miss that if what you say is true. Probably less so in a heavy sedan daily driver like the Alfa, but more so in a modern 911 like the current series cars. I had hoped they may have improved that aspect through some electronic trickery but the fundamental issue I suspect remains (namely keeping the pressure in the system for those scroll wheels to keep on turning). Perhaps this is an area electric turbos may have some significant future advantages? I'm not sure on road the difference will be so detrimental but in track I can see where it may rob some feel...
I haven't driven the new 3 litre turbo 911. Be interested to get a report from you after the run in period in the alfa. I still get deceleration response from higher revs lift off but not so much midrevs. Maybe it doesn't matter when just cruising around but since I have had and like high performance NA engines as well - its one of the main disadvantages I notice. The car doesn't feel so alive when cruising around
Old 02-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great Sun Ron drive today. Perfect weather, enjoyed all 300km. Richards new RS looks great - the silver graphics perfectly break up the lava orange. Got to drive a 991 C2S today. Not a bad car. Less NVH than GT3 naturally, less direct in terms of turn in and direction changes, less aural drama. Otherwise covers ground on back roads very competently and kinder on the body...
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2017, 06:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Welcome back to NZ Macca.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Welcome back to NZ Macca.
Thanks Buddy. Arrived Sat arvo. 500km covered so far ;-) couldn't make Leadfoot so saving for next year. Who's heading to Ellerslie for the intermarque on Sat? Maybe a few of us should go together?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks Buddy. Arrived Sat arvo. 500km covered so far ;-) couldn't make Leadfoot so saving for next year. Who's heading to Ellerslie for the intermarque on Sat? Maybe a few of us should go together?
Nieces birthday is on the Leadfoot weekend and we travel to Tauranga each year for the birthday so I appear locked out of that event for the foreseeable future. 270km in the Cayenne. At least Donna drove.

Not sure about the intermarque, but it sounds like a good way to catch up before you head South, plus I can see a few detailing efforts. I joined the FB Detailing Addicts group, which hasn't had one single Trump post so far so has to be good.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nieces birthday is on the Leadfoot weekend and we travel to Tauranga each year for the birthday so I appear locked out of that event for the foreseeable future. 270km in the Cayenne. At least Donna drove. Not sure about the intermarque, but it sounds like a good way to catch up before you head South, plus I can see a few detailing efforts. I joined the FB Detailing Addicts group, which hasn't had one single Trump post so far so has to be good.
Sounds good. Been blessed with the weather since our return. I've done 3-4 inter marque and it's a great place to eye ball some unusual metal and bump into other car nuts. We should organise a visit. I'll PM you....
Old 02-05-2017, 09:40 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's Sunday 12 Feb Macca.

The club is hosting, so will be a good display. We are not entering this year though.

I thought I might of seen your car at Gillies yesterday avo?
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

great looking silver graphics - haven't seen that style before
Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 AM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road trips

I would be keen for a road trip sometime this year. Not into much track stuff in the cab, but some nice B roads and the like would be fun. Happy to bring either air cooled or water cooled. Although the boat is a bit late with the water cooled. So won't be compiled until later on Feb now.

Does any any one know of any good Indy repairers in Auckland? Nothing needs to be done yet but always good to know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?