Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Aging Demographics Of Club Racing Today.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:42 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 45, and I just completed a competition licensing school with NASA in my 944. I could have done so at least a decade ago, and I certainly would have if that were my main interest then (it was travel and photography then). I don't think I'd be able to do it with a 911 now, then or ever. Too expensive.

My main point is that I probably never would have aspired to racing had I done all my DE's with SCCA and/or PCA. With NASA, I was right there in the paddock alongside the racers. I saw and experienced real racing. I could see all the things racers do, the tools they use, and I kind of kept all that in mind as I advanced in DE. So if you want to cultivate racers, then have some DE sessions at your races. Because otherwise, you're missing out on a lot of young people who will never really be exposed or all that interested in racing.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:29 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

This is a great discussion, despite the answer to the J Gordon's question being completely obvious . . . . most young people can't afford to own/properly maintain a regular street Porsche, let alone participate in DE or club racing. However, it is nice to read all of the different viewpoints from different PCA regions across the country about a very relevant subject.

I am 33 years old, and I began taking my 951 to the track almost 10 years ago. I joined POC in 2008, becoming both a POC and PCA instructor circa 2010. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning high-performance driving and teaching it to others, despite the inherent risks of doing so. I normally run in the time trial group with POC and PCA, and the Red/open passing group with Speed Ventures and other DE organizations.

The only reason that I can afford to track my car even at such a low level is that I am a professional Porsche technician and therefore supply my own labor and have access to a shop to work on my car and to parts at cost. Even then, it is still pretty expensive! Until a couple of years ago, I was going to the track about once a month, and going through a lot of tires, brake pads, and gasoline, while slowly improving my suspension setup to the point that it is now essentially a full race setup with modified front geometry and all metal bushings. Yet I still drive it to and from the track! It has been very rewarding to have the same car all along and learn to drive the crap out of it. (I have driven a number of customers'/friends' 911s on track, including some GT3s and GT2s with no problems).

I was and possibly still am the youngest participant in the POC who is completely independent, i.e. with no parental support. Because I live in Santa Barbara, I still live in rental housing, and probably will for some time! I have a girlfriend, but no family plans at this time. So, I used to spend any extra money I had on track stuff, but it got to be too much. I loved the camaraderie and making new friends, and I supported a number of customer cars at POC events and fixed numerous others, which was very rewarding, but something had to give.

I have a half-completed 944 Spec car sitting on the lot of my shop; I abandoned it and my pursuit of a race license when I fully realized that there was no way I could afford to run even half of a competitive season of 944 Spec racing. But, I am perfectly OK with staying at the TT level for now, and now that I run only a few events a year, I actually have some spending money! Plus I get to enjoy beautiful Santa Barbara on the weekends instead of choking on dust at Willow Springs or Buttonwillow (I love CA but SoCal tracks are in crappy locations compared to the lush greenery that I see at Midwest and East Coast tracks---however we do get to run almost year-round .

In addition, the cost of running TT weekends at POC events has gotten a bit out of hand. The TT group is essentially subsidizing the club racers and paying a lot of money for a very limited amount of track time. Plus, our track session times would sometimes would sometimes get switched around at the last minute because the club racers wanted to go home earlier, or the sun would be in their eyes in the late afternoon, etc.

So, I pulled back during the last couple of years and have only run at private events and other DE groups that have a much better track time/cost ratio (don't get me wrong, I love POC and the vast majority of the people, but for a number of years they were trying too hard to push everyone into club racing, which not everyone is able/has the desire to do!). However, it seems like the current leadership has realized this and has brought back some more of the lower-key, lower-cost DE-type events, which is great!

I have run the 24 Hours of Lemons 3 times now, and I think that is the way to get my racing fix while keeping costs reasonable. I part-own two different Lemons cars, so that is enough! I will continue to campaign my street-driven 951 at TT/DE events to experiment with suspension setups, but POC/PCA club racing are likely a pipe dream at this point . . . .

. . . . . but I am running in the TT group with POC at Laguna Seca in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait!

Chris A.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:11 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
The TT group is essentially subsidizing the club racers and paying a lot of money for a very limited amount of track time.

Plus, our track session times would sometimes would sometimes get switched around at the last minute because the club racers wanted to go home earlier, or the sun would be in their eyes in the late afternoon, etc.

...for a number of years they were trying too hard to push everyone into club racing, which not everyone is able/has the desire to do!). However, it seems like the current leadership has realized this and has brought back some more of the lower-key, lower-cost DE-type events, which is great!

Chris A.
Chris as I wrote to you privately, I have to step in here and correct some of the misconceptions you posted. I as current Director of Motorsports along with my predecessor Eric Oviatt and the entire POC BOD have been very careful over the past 4 years since we created the TA classes that we format our events to assure equal run time between the racers and TA groups. I just spent an hour looking at events going back into 2012 and I can't find one instance of where TA driver received less run time than the race groups. If you know of such an occurrence please post here so I can see it.

We switch the run schedules and groups around from event to event to try and keep everyone happy but I have to admit, there are certain track where you just can't have safe wheel-to-wheel racing in the afternoon sun. WSIR and Chuckwalla are the 2 tracks that come to mind. TA is not racing and as such is better suited for the late afternoon sessions at those 2 tracks. BW, ACS, and Spring Mountain are shielded and somewhat impervious to being blinded by the sun. I set the schedules and I'm always trying to balance the schedule for the different groups.

I've never heard anyone in an official POC position try to push TA or DE drivers to become racers. It is however a natural progression for many which is why we hold our racer's clinics twice per year. If someone want to move in that direction great but pushing them into racing just isn't a true statement.

We limited the number of our PDS (DE) events at Streets of Willow and ACS infield simply because of a lack of interest. Those event were losing significant monies and the Club simply couldn't afford to continue down that road without more participation. From early 2013 through 2015 we averaged less than 50 entries per event and needed twice that to break even. We tried alternative methods of marketing last year in 2015 and saw strong results so we've added a few more DE events this year including adding in the TA groups. We've recruited lots of new members resulting in solid turnouts. We've added the DE group along with our racers and TA groups at ACS in September and I suspect we'll see great turnouts there too. BTW registration is now open for that event at:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...1#.V5qeL_krIY0

Sorry for the long post but as a long-term BOD member of the POC who has fought many battles to keep the club financially stable and committed to being responsive to the needs of our members I couldn't let your post go unopposed. RL is widely read and your inaccurate and seemingly negative statements can have an effect on our club.

JR Gordon
POC Director of Motorsports and Treasury

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 07-28-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CrookedRacer
I'm 45, and I just completed a competition licensing school with NASA in my 944. I could have done so at least a decade ago, and I certainly would have if that were my main interest then (it was travel and photography then). I don't think I'd be able to do it with a 911 now, then or ever. Too expensive.

My main point is that I probably never would have aspired to racing had I done all my DE's with SCCA and/or PCA. With NASA, I was right there in the paddock alongside the racers. I saw and experienced real racing. I could see all the things racers do, the tools they use, and I kind of kept all that in mind as I advanced in DE. So if you want to cultivate racers, then have some DE sessions at your races. Because otherwise, you're missing out on a lot of young people who will never really be exposed or all that interested in racing.
and this was my point exactly. i believe there is no better marketing to grab new drivers than DE's running in a race weekend. NASA has near perfected the driver feeder system.
it hooked me and about 50% of the guys that i ran around with in the day with fast cars. the point is, SCCA, PCA POC all should sacrafice one run group a day for a DE group. you will see huge dividends for doing this... SCCA better do it soon, or it will be in trouble. spec miata is keeping that organization afloat right now. (as well as doing weekends where they get groups like PCA to come partake in the weekend)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:05 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Chris as I wrote to you privately, I have to step in here and correct some of the misconceptions you posted. I as current Director of Motorsports along with my predecessor Eric Oviatt and the entire POC BOD have been very careful over the past 4 years since we created the TA classes that we format our events to assure equal run time between the racers and TA groups. I just spent an hour looking at events going back into 2012 and I can't find one instance of where TA driver received less run time than the race groups. If you know of such an occurrence please post here so I can see it.

We switch the run schedules and groups around from event to event to try and keep everyone happy but I have to admit, there are certain track where you just can't have safe wheel-to-wheel racing in the afternoon sun. WSIR and Chuckwalla are the 2 tracks that come to mind. TA is not racing and as such is better suited for the late afternoon sessions at those 2 tracks. BW, ACS, and Spring Mountain are shielded and somewhat impervious to being blinded by the sun. I set the schedules and I'm always trying to balance the schedule for the different groups.

I've never heard anyone in an official POC position try to push TA or DE drivers to become racers. It is however a natural progression for many which is why we hold our racer's clinics twice per year. If someone want to move in that direction great but pushing them into racing just isn't a true statement.

We limited the number of our PDS (DE) events at Streets of Willow and ACS infield simply because of a lack of interest. Those event were losing significant monies and the Club simply couldn't afford to continue down that road without more participation. From early 2013 through 2015 we averaged less than 50 entries per event and needed twice that to break even. We tried alternative methods of marketing last year in 2015 and saw strong results so we've added a few more DE events this year including adding in the TA groups. We've recruited lots of new members resulting in solid turnouts. We've added the DE group along with our racers and TA groups at ACS in September and I suspect we'll see great turnouts there too. BTW registration is now open for that event at:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...1#.V5qeL_krIY0

Sorry for the long post but as a long-term BOD member of the POC who has fought many battles to keep the club financially stable and committed to being responsive to the needs of our members I couldn't let your post go unopposed. RL is widely read and your inaccurate and seemingly negative statements can have an effect on our club.

JR Gordon
POC Director of Motorsports and Treasury
Hi John,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I did not mean to publicly disparage the POC, but I see that it could have come off that way. I suppose that the main thrust of my post was to highlight the challenges of someone of my age and in my position in life attempting to pursue the goal of club racing a Porsche, even though I work on the damn things for a living! POC is the path I chose, and I do not regret it for a second. It is a great organization and the vast majority of the people are awesome. I truly enjoyed the PDS/short track events at Streets, but it did seem financially sustainable of late . . . .

I was very excited to climb the ladder of the system and progress through the short track/PDS license to time trial, and I was hoping to get into club racing. As I posted above, my own financial situation made that untenable, so I chose to stay at the TT level for now. But, that became financially prohibitive compared to other groups. But, other groups do not have the exemplary record of the POC in terms of safety and of vetting its participants, so it is a double-edged sword. Therefore, I scaled back my track event participation entirely.

I am excited to come back for Laguna Seca, and I hope to make Triple Crown as well if it is possible. But as I said, club racing is a pipe dream for now.

Chris A
Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 119 Posts
Default From an Oldtimer

When I was a kid, my dad took me to watch SCCA races so that's where I started. I did a weekend driver's school and got a provisional license at age 23, bought a Datsun 510, then did five races in Showroom Stock Sedan. IMSA was starting up and Gregg had just won Daytona, so I called him to see if he had any cars for sale. I bought an old 911 for $15k and did two races in SCCA A Sports Racing class. We then brought it up to IMSA specs and entered the Daytona 250.
Nothing seemed too expensive or complicated in those days. People in racing were very supportive and welcoming. My wife and I took out a mortgage on our house, I had some investments and money saved and we spent the next six years living on the road following the IMSA circuit. Starting out, I did all the work on the car, towed it to the races behind our little camper van and found guys at the track to help crew. Little by little we got a foothold and pieced together a better pro operation and got some big results.
As an old guy, observing on the sidelines today, I think it would be tough to start a team from scratch and run up front, given the expense and technical advances requiring more in gear, personnel and driving skills. Even if you could put all the pieces together, doing well enough to attract sponsors, when most stands seem pretty empty, might make the financial risk just too high, no matter how much you loved racing.

By the way, I did make money my last two years, paid back my loan, lost my house and wife in a divorce, got to keep a lot of worthless trophies and memorabilia and watch my old cars continue to run on the vintage circuit.

Would I suggest racing to others? Absolutely!
Old 08-01-2016, 03:49 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
When I was a kid, my dad took me to watch SCCA races so that's where I started. I did a weekend driver's school and got a provisional license at age 23, bought a Datsun 510, then did five races in Showroom Stock Sedan. IMSA was starting up and Gregg had just won Daytona, so I called him to see if he had any cars for sale. I bought an old 911 for $15k and did two races in SCCA A Sports Racing class. We then brought it up to IMSA specs and entered the Daytona 250. Nothing seemed too expensive or complicated in those days. People in racing were very supportive and welcoming. My wife and I took out a mortgage on our house, I had some investments and money saved and we spent the next six years living on the road following the IMSA circuit. Starting out, I did all the work on the car, towed it to the races behind our little camper van and found guys at the track to help crew. Little by little we got a foothold and pieced together a better pro operation and got some big results. As an old guy, observing on the sidelines today, I think it would be tough to start a team from scratch and run up front, given the expense and technical advances requiring more in gear, personnel and driving skills. Even if you could put all the pieces together, doing well enough to attract sponsors, when most stands seem pretty empty, might make the financial risk just too high, no matter how much you loved racing. By the way, I did make money my last two years, paid back my loan, lost my house and wife in a divorce, got to keep a lot of worthless trophies and memorabilia and watch my old cars continue to run on the vintage circuit. Would I suggest racing to others? Absolutely!
Epic
Old 08-24-2016, 02:58 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am 33 and have owned my 993 since I was 29 (worked extremely hard for it as most do). I attend the very odd autox or open track day but cannot justify the time and cost of becoming competitive. But, I wish I could...

I work full time, have 2 very young kids, run a side business, and am working on my MBA. I cant see myself having the time to race for many years. The grey hairs are coming in on the sides of my head to I'm sure I'll fit into the racing crowd soon
Old 08-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
When I was a kid, my dad took me to watch SCCA races so that's where I started. I did a weekend driver's school and got a provisional license at age 23, bought a Datsun 510, then did five races in Showroom Stock Sedan. IMSA was starting up and Gregg had just won Daytona, so I called him to see if he had any cars for sale. I bought an old 911 for $15k and did two races in SCCA A Sports Racing class. We then brought it up to IMSA specs and entered the Daytona 250.
Nothing seemed too expensive or complicated in those days. People in racing were very supportive and welcoming. My wife and I took out a mortgage on our house, I had some investments and money saved and we spent the next six years living on the road following the IMSA circuit. Starting out, I did all the work on the car, towed it to the races behind our little camper van and found guys at the track to help crew. Little by little we got a foothold and pieced together a better pro operation and got some big results.
As an old guy, observing on the sidelines today, I think it would be tough to start a team from scratch and run up front, given the expense and technical advances requiring more in gear, personnel and driving skills. Even if you could put all the pieces together, doing well enough to attract sponsors, when most stands seem pretty empty, might make the financial risk just too high, no matter how much you loved racing.

By the way, I did make money my last two years, paid back my loan, lost my house and wife in a divorce, got to keep a lot of worthless trophies and memorabilia and watch my old cars continue to run on the vintage circuit.

Would I suggest racing to others? Absolutely!
Great story George. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:21 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

So, is the age of the PCA Club Racing crowd the reason for the 90 min enduro limit? I know it would be tough to fit longer ones in the schedule at the bigger races but a region can't have a longer one even if they could or wanted to.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:26 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default getting kids engaged

I am not racing yet; hope to be there in a few years.

however i am trying to interest my 16yr old in car stuff; he got his permit a few weeks ago and unbeknownst to him I am trying to teach him to be smooth on the throttle (getting the fine motor control with your foot to get going is non trivial for a 16yr old)

I was hoping to take him to a DE and let him ride along for a few laps. not at 9/10 or 10/10 but something like 6/10 or 7/10 to give him a flavor.
unfortunately PCA doesn't allow ride alongs with dads (in black) or anyone below 18 to ridealong.

this is not conducive to get him interested as taking my tiretemps wont keep him interested that long...

how about a short session at DE where you can take your kid for a ride; only parent/kids for that session? my son would come to the track for that....
Old 08-24-2016, 03:30 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I am not racing yet; hope to be there in a few years.

however i am trying to interest my 16yr old in car stuff; he got his permit a few weeks ago and unbeknownst to him I am trying to teach him to be smooth on the throttle (getting the fine motor control with your foot to get going is non trivial for a 16yr old)

I was hoping to take him to a DE and let him ride along for a few laps. not at 9/10 or 10/10 but something like 6/10 or 7/10 to give him a flavor.
unfortunately PCA doesn't allow ride alongs with dads (in black) or anyone below 18 to ridealong.

this is not conducive to get him interested as taking my tiretemps wont keep him interested that long...

how about a short session at DE where you can take your kid for a ride; only parent/kids for that session? my son would come to the track for that....
Delaware PCA has an event at NJMP in October that has charity laps at lunch time where you can take passengers. Max speed 65mph, no helmets required.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:46 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I did parade laps ( similar to the charity laps) but that is more like 2 or 3/10 than 6 or 7/10

Completely different experience.

I am not aiming to get my son to experience 9/10. Safety is key but a solid 7/10 would peek his interest.

If we want to engage kids we need to entertain them and draw them in
Otherwise they will play computer games.

As
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 815 Posts

Do karting with him. Good way to start and he can try to beat the old man. At 18 he can then do PCA HPDEs. Or look for other organizations that have a youth program that you both can join.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At some past Chin DE's they allowed ride alongs for guests who were not registered as full DE attendees. $25 guest fee and sign a waiver. I vaguely recall they required an advanced driver to drop down to the intermediate group when a guest passenger was aboard. It's been awhile since I've run with Chin, so I can't say for sure if they still allow this. I'll be running with them at Barber next month and will inquire about it.

BTW, I agree with you that ridealongs are a good way to "set the hook" with someone who isn't ready or is unable to sign up as a full DE participant. I understand the reasons many groups don't allow it however.

Quick Reply: The Aging Demographics Of Club Racing Today.....