Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Aging Demographics Of Club Racing Today.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 01:35 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
At some past Chin DE's they allowed ride alongs for guests who were not registered as full DE attendees. $25 guest fee and sign a waiver. I vaguely recall they required an advanced driver to drop down to the intermediate group when a guest passenger was aboard. It's been awhile since I've run with Chin, so I can't say for sure if they still allow this. I'll be running with them at Barber next month and will inquire about it.

BTW, I agree with you that ridealongs are a good way to "set the hook" with someone who isn't ready or is unable to sign up as a full DE participant. I understand the reasons many groups don't allow it however.
Yes, Chin will allow passengers 16 or over. They have an event next weekend at the glen but I don't know if it's too late to get in. Florida Crown region PCA used to allow passengers. I don't know if they still do and I'm pretty sure you had to be 18.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:27 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 132 Posts

I assume I am one of the youngest people on the board (Today is my birthday, I'm 29) and while I have had some luck and success with my choice of career and position/title it is still simply too expensive. Maxing a 401k, roth, extra cash savings, putting some cash in a scottrade, and general life expenses can really add up. I recently spectated/experienced the Porsche Sports Cup at the Nurburgring on holiday, and thought it was one of the coolest things. I genuinely have a serious interest in eventually getting into some competitive racing and learning, but when I think about the time and $$$ committment it makes me wince. I have no idea what it costs to field a car in PSC or a comparable North American series, but I assume it's at least a solid 75-100k just to get on grid outside of the car. Between the necessary training/schools, transport, insurance, consumables, and fees I just don't see it realistically being in the cards for me for at least another 10 years if I am fortunate. For now I will have to stick to the 5 or 6 track days a year I do. Spending a grand on a track day with instructors and insurance is comfortably within the realm of my time and financial ability. More dedicated motor sports will have to wait until I can dedicate myself to the craft.

............and most of my immediate peers are either in grad school and burdened with student debt, not as driven in their careers, or starting families. For us the stars aligned; semi successful DINKs, no intent on children, no student loans, and we own our home outright. How many young folk are in a position to do this in today's social/economic climate? I am sure if incomes kept up with inflation and student debt wasn't the big issue it is today more young folks would be interested, and heck I think young enthusiasts are interested but they simply can't.

Last edited by richardbf; 08-25-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:54 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
I assume I am one of the youngest people on the board (Today is my birthday, I'm 29) and while I have had some luck and success with my choice of career and position/title it is still simply too expensive. Maxing a 401k, roth, extra cash savings, putting some cash in a scottrade, and general life expenses can really add up. I recently spectated/experienced the Porsche Sports Cup at the Nurburgring on holiday, and thought it was one of the coolest things. I genuinely have a serious interest in eventually getting into some competitive racing and learning, but when I think about the time and $$$ committment it makes me wince. I have no idea what it costs to field a car in PSC or North American series, but I assume it's at least a solid 75-100k just to get on grid outside of the car. Between the necessary training/schools, transport, insurance, consumables, and fees I just don't see it realistically being in the cards for me for at least another 10 years if I am fortunate. For now I will have to stick to the 5 or 6 track days a year I do. Spending a grand on a track day with instructors and insurance is comfortably within the realm of my time and financial ability. More dedicated motor sports will have to wait until I can dedicate myself to the craft.

............and most of my immediate peers are either in grad school and burdened with student debt, not as driven in their careers, or starting families. For us the starts aligned; semi successful DINKs, no intent on children, no student loans, and we own our home outright. How many young folk are in a position to do this in today's social/economic climate? I am sure if incomes kept up with inflation and student debt wasn't the big issue it is today more young folks would be interested, and heck I think young enthusiasts are interested but they simply can't.
You can go club racing for a lot cheaper than $75k . Right now there's a podium winning Spec Boxster for sale for under $30k, replace your daily driver with a used truck, buy a used trailer, get your license in a season or 2 doing your regular DEs with the car. See it's not too hard to start sliding down the mountain
Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 132 Posts

sliding down the mountain...........way to get me excited lol
Old 09-01-2016, 05:48 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just saw this on PCA Zone 8 rule book

Participants must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid state driver's license, and be in good mental and physical health. For Autocross only, 16 and 17 year olds may participate according to the rules of the Junior Participation Program. The JPP program is documented in the Region Procedures Manual, distributed annually by PCA national and on the national website. Adult entrants do not have to be club members. The JPP program is for minors related to club members ONLY.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:29 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
....who's going to fill the gap in Porsche club racing as we seniors slowly retire from the sport over the next 10 years or so.
I laugh every time I see something like this. People can never fathom that their particular context is just a blip on the timeline of human history.

What will happen to Porsche racing? The same thing that happened to bowling and accordions.

Things come, things go.

10 years from now the hot new racing trend might be pod racing like in Star Wars Phantom Menace.

Last edited by sugarwood; 09-03-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:03 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Huh?? maybe cheap to run if it's running, but ANY work seems to cost an absolute fortune on these cars. That's why so many of them are rotting away, the cost of repair is way too great to be worth fixing.
+1. That's the first time I have ever heard the internet say a 928 is cheap to run.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:22 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,697 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I laugh every time I see something like this. People can never fathom that their particular context is just a blip on the timeline of human history.

What will happen to Porsche racing? The same thing that happened to bowling and accordions.

Things come, things go.

10 years from now the hot new racing trend might be pod racing like in Star Wars Phantom Menace.
Its supposed to be puff puff pass not puff puff puff puff. When you only puff you write stuff like this.

If I live to be 100 I'm pretty sure I am not going to see Star Wars style pod racing.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:50 PM
ryanjboutin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread.

Early 30's here, no wife, no kids. (Let's me afford all of the guns I've ever wanted.)
Started my adult career about 3 years ago, with a decent income.
Bought a house and a nice Toyota Tacoma.

Always wanted to do track days in a sports car.
Don't own one, supposed to take delivery of a 1999 Boxster in a couple weeks.

I find it difficult to find a DE or track day in Las Vegas.
But, I haven't searched too hard.
Seems as though my local PCA is in Lake Tahoe currently, and they don't have many events (not counting Cars & Coffee).
The PCA has a couple events in Pahrump, NV, which is about 1.5 hours away driving through a boring desert.

I'd have to buy a trailer to take my car there to partake.
Why? Because I'd be too worried about the damned IMS bearing blowing up on my way to the track. lol

I've watched racing my whole life, and have done a few track days on my supermotos in my twenties when I lived in San Diego.
Very easy to load the moto in a truck, toss in a few gallons of VP110, hit the Jack In The Box, and head out to Adams for track days.

I would love to do a few track days a year in the Boxster, but I just don't know if I can even afford all of that, too worried about damaging it.

I doubt I'll ever [want to] get into racing, but track days and DE seem doable.

Those are my two cents, carry on.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:05 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

im under 40 and club racing.

Basically from what i have seen, racing is really expensive and that is why you do not see many young independant racers club racing. Unless they are running events with their parents who also race, you will be hard pressed to find young people who are able to find the time and money to club race, especially porsches.
Even to race the bottom of the price scale 944 or spec boxster, it takes time and money that most young people do not have.
For the most part, you will see young people participating in D.E and autocross with their local club.

If you are young and like racing, chances are you are karting and going where ever that takes you.

I meet alot of people coming into club racing in their 40s-50s.
An age where people that have an interest in racing, come to the point in life where they now have the time and the money to go racing.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

They did it to themselves. Transporters/ motorhomes that cost thousands,
professionally built cars etc. With the execption of safety equip it doesn't need to be this expensive, but their egos got the best of them. Explains why older owners can afford to race as their incomes are generally larger.
When a friend of mine who was an owner/ entrant in the original Can Am series
(the car in my avatar) a top 10 car, went an SCCA race after a 20+ years absence from racing he was shocked at what he saw.
$100,000 &up (counting the transporter) race efforts were everywhere. He said he was never coming back as they had killed the spirit of amature racing.

Last edited by Jim Devine; 09-05-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:42 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Devine
When a friend of mine who was an owner/ entrant in the original Can Am series
(the car in my avatar) a top 10 car, went an SCCA race after a 20+ years absence from racing he was shocked at what he saw.
$100,000 &up (counting the transporter) race efforts were everywhere.
100k? That's pretty much bargain basement level in PCA. A good % of the cars cost more then that without the tow vehicle, trailer etc. It's the million dollar amateur operations that amaze me.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
100k? That's pretty much bargain basement level in PCA. A good % of the cars cost more then that without the tow vehicle, trailer etc. It's the million dollar amateur operations that amaze me.
Car, trailer, tow vehicle add up to well over $100k and I am a lightweight in the paddock!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess it's become the right crowd and no crowding. Admittedly, times change
& I don't know what the adjustment for inflation is, but we ran the Can Am
on a budget of $6000 per race if it was in the east , $4000 in the west assuming no blow ups or crashes. This was professional racing at the top with international drivers like Jackie Stewart , Vic Elford , Peter Revson etc.
Sad that it has come to this.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Devine
I guess it's become the right crowd and no crowding. Admittedly, times change
& I don't know what the adjustment for inflation is, but we ran the Can Am
on a budget of $6000 per race if it was in the east , $4000 in the west assuming no blow ups or crashes. This was professional racing at the top with international drivers like Jackie Stewart , Vic Elford , Peter Revson etc.
Sad that it has come to this.
Just curious - are your figures adjusted for inflation or is that what it cost "back in the day"?

Quick Reply: The Aging Demographics Of Club Racing Today.....