Sponsored by:

Nitrogen tank for tire fills

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:12 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP asked a question. Your personal use of NOS as you have outlined here and in the past is for reasons other than others have. Your use of NOS therefor is irrelevant to this thread. I am not running away from you. Please it is not personal as I don't know you from Adam. I simply see no further need to discuss this with you. You are the one that seems to have a desire for validation of method. I posted only to point out another method or choice for others to contemplate.

I suppose your method would be relevant if the OP posted that he had a NOS bottle and did not want to deal with a nitrogen bottle as well but as you can see should you reread the OP that was not the case.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

This thread is interesting to me. At Mid-Ohio this weekend I noticed what appeared to be steam when I bled my tires. Ordered the inline desiccant air dryer as referenced by Kurt M's post.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

Personally, I fill my tires with an exotic mixture of gases. I will share my super-secret formula with all of you:
  • 78.09% nitrogen
  • 20.95% oxygen
  • 0.93% argon
  • 0.039% carbon dioxide
  • and small amounts of other gases.

There's a piece of high-tech machinery at a nearby gas station that formulates this proprietary blend for me. Most people have to pay to access the machine, to obtain this mixture.

But, I will share another secret with you. If I smile at the girl behind the counter and say "Hey, can I get the code for the machine?" she slips me a small piece of paper with a secret code that I can punch into a panel and access the machine for free.

If you PM me, I'll let you know where this exotic machinery is located.

There, I have done my good deed for the day.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:50 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Personally, I fill my tires with an exotic mixture of gases. I will share my super-secret formula with all of you:
  • 78.09% nitrogen
  • 20.95% oxygen
  • 0.93% argon
  • 0.039% carbon dioxide
  • and small amounts of other gases.

There's a piece of high-tech machinery at a nearby gas station that formulates this proprietary blend for me. Most people have to pay to access the machine, to obtain this mixture.

But, I will share another secret with you. If I smile at the girl behind the counter and say "Hey, can I get the code for the machine?" she slips me a small piece of paper with a secret code that I can punch into a panel and access the machine for free.

If you PM me, I'll let you know where this exotic machinery is located.

There, I have done my good deed for the day.
\
Funny! don't tell all the N2 users this, that poor girl will buried with customers!

Originally Posted by kurt M
OP asked a question. Your personal use of NOS as you have outlined here and in the past is for reasons other than others have. Your use of NOS therefor is irrelevant to this thread. I am not running away from you. Please it is not personal as I don't know you from Adam. I simply see no further need to discuss this with you. You are the one that seems to have a desire for validation of method. I posted only to point out another method or choice for others to contemplate.

I suppose your method would be relevant if the OP posted that he had a NOS bottle and did not want to deal with a nitrogen bottle as well but as you can see should you reread the OP that was not the case.
it was a simple solution. sometimes, things that are off the beaten path, can help.
But, you didn't need to get rude about it. you are running away. all you need to do is be civilized. answer the question and post the reply. had you done that in the beginning, the color to this thread would be over in a couple of posts..... Im sure having a small bottle that can fill 30 tires might be interesting to some. and if its dangerous for some reason, I would love to hear about it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:05 AM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Cuda's got it right. Unless it's an all out race effort- the air compressor will do just fine. Even the mighty
917/30 just used air from the gas driven compressor at the Goodyear tent.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:20 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Devine
Cuda's got it right. Unless it's an all out race effort- the air compressor will do just fine. Even the mighty
917/30 just used air from the gas driven compressor at the Goodyear tent.
many teams might fill with N2, but if they don't fill , purge, fill purge and fill again, they might be fooling themselves...... starting out all the tires have the volume of the tire with the outside air. (unless the tire guy does it and/or fills the tires from a dried air compressor source. )
So, even if you fill an empty tire with N2, it will only be 50% dry N2.

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-01-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:49 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
So, even if you fill an empty tire with N2, it will only be 25-50% N2.
You don't think before you write, do you?

Since plain old air is 78% nitrogen, if you fill a just mounted tire with nitrogen, you are going to have more than 78% nitrogen in that tire.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott, there you go again.

Common sense plays no role here.

You've now given Mark the opportunity to break out the slide rule, push it around for a minute or two and present his findings...that alone should be good for three more pages.

I feel badly for the OP - a happy DE'er who was pondering the convenience of a small N2 tank.

I need to go drain my shop tank which was squirting water the last time I used it. Perhaps I'll just invest in some laughing gas and be done with it....
Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Blitz128
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KaiB, Actually I find it interesting that the post is already up to three pages... Hmmm, if I just use a scuba tank with air and regulator I can top off tires if I'm parked in the field at Hallett with no electricity...
Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
You don't think before you write, do you?

Since plain old air is 78% nitrogen, if you fill a just mounted tire with nitrogen, you are going to have more than 78% nitrogen in that tire.

Really???? WINDERS!!! what am I going to do with you!?????
It is you that only reads, and not thinks!! this is a discussion. take things in the context for what they are being said!
I don't think we care what mixture of gases we have in the tire. so, maybe I should have said, "dry N2", or "dry gas" not just "N2". such a troll post.
As has been posted over and over again. the purpose of using N2 is for the fact that it is a dry gas from a bottle.
so, if YOU could think before you post, you would realize that the purpose, is again, to use dry air and not get the moisture so that the pressures don't rise AS MUCH........ So, by adding the Dry gas, N2, on a empty tire, which already has air in it, will only change the concentration of air to post "N2 Fill" of only 50% (edit... not 25%) more additional dry nitrogen. Let me now

Originally Posted by Blitz128
KaiB, Actually I find it interesting that the post is already up to three pages... Hmmm, if I just use a scuba tank with air and regulator I can top off tires if I'm parked in the field at Hallett with no electricity...
that's what ive been doing for 10 years and it works great. no more borrowing compressed air at the track . its faster than the little air pumps and if I need to run an air tool for breaking a nut loose, I can do that too.

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-01-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
Scott, there you go again.

Common sense plays no role here.

You've now given Mark the opportunity to break out the slide rule, push it around for a minute or two and present his findings...that alone should be good for three more pages.

I feel badly for the OP - a happy DE'er who was pondering the convenience of a small N2 tank.

I need to go drain my shop tank which was squirting water the last time I used it. Perhaps I'll just invest in some laughing gas and be done with it....
again, did you not read the post?? take a breath. stop being a troll and read what I wrote. anyone with a single digit IQ would take from what I wrote , in the context for which it was meant. the concept is that the gas you are adding to the existing tire, sitting on the table with no air in it, would only add to concentration of existing air by 50%. (edit) This is not the over all % of N2 in the mixture, but the % change to the dryer side for the mixture.
again, anyone paying attention here, knows the only purpose of using N2 is to get dry air.

I posed a question of why not use NOS or Co2, but the arrogance has precluded them from answering. So far, 3 pages later, the bottled air from a scuba tank, NOS, or Co2 seems like a viable solution for those that don't want to use a large tank.

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-01-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mark kibort
the concept is that the gas you are adding to the existing tire, sitting on the table with no air in it, would only add to concentration of existing air by 25%. .
I think your slide rule is bent...
Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What those that want to have more predictable pressure rise with temp use dry air. It is easy to test for moisture in tire air. Two ways one is an in line humidity meter and another that works well when using Nitrogen only is an O2 sensor. Fill and purge until ether meter reads 0. Porsche 917s did not have TPMS and the sensors are both a pain to replace and sensitive to water.

Gas station air often has condensed water in the lines. Simple to both use compressor source air and not get any water
Old 10-01-2014, 01:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
I think your slide rule is bent...
Again, always a criticism, NEVER a suggestion or answer. classic Kai

Take a breath and tell me why.

my slide rule says.... there is already 15psi ambient air in the tire when the gauge says "0". another 15-20psi gives you the starting point of most racer tire set up.
so, call it 50% dry air and 50% what was left in the tire. The reason I was saying 25% to 50% is that the effects could be as little as if if it was 25% if the air in the tire had a lot of moisture in it, compared to a normal west coast day, as compared to filling it on a 100% humid day or If the tire had some water in it from the install.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:00 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Read your own words Mark.

Your original statement revolved around a tire with "NO AIR" in it. It was that tire upon which you based your first conclusion.

FALSE = Bent slide rule; the basis for my comment.

Now you come back and correctly clarify that statement by indicating that air remains in the tire at STP.

Yet you have the chutzpa to call me a troll, an idiot and a rabble-rouser.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen tank for tire fills