Sponsored by:

Nitrogen tank for tire fills

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I find the concept of someone blasting around at 100+mph in an uncatted straight piped vehicle worrying about greenhouse gases pretty humorous!

Guess I should stop lubing the car with whale oil.
That is a perfect response!! So funny! what a bunch of hypocrites

Originally Posted by KaiB
nah Kurt. If its in the tire, it can't possible hurt anything.
Kai, are you that dense as well... See Cudas post..... you are worried about a few grams of greenhouse gas, and yet you put POUNDSs of greenhouse gases in the air very single lap, with no cat, no proper gas cap vents.... let me clue you in Kai.... there is nothing "Green" about racing...... in fact, its the most UN green thing we can do as humans.
Your sarcasm is irony that is off the scale!

Originally Posted by kurt M
"N2O is a greenhouse gas with tremendous global warming potential (GWP). When compared to carbon dioxide (CO2), N2O has 298 times the ability per molecule of gas to trap heat in the atmosphere"

"Considered over a 100-year period, it has 298 times more impact per unit mass (global warming potential) than carbon dioxide."

Nitrous oxide gives rise to NO (nitric oxide) on reaction with oxygen atoms. Nitric Oxide and metal do not get along well. Rims are metal and it seems that some people add it to tires that already contain air which is 19% O2. This unknown % mixture can present unknown reactions. Under pressure and or elevated temps the reactions are increased. Used in a track car tire it will be under under elevated temps and pressures. Some materials such as stainless steel and aluminium can act as fuels with strong oxidisers such as nitrous oxide, as can contaminants, which can ignite due to adiabatic compression.

Lets see, compressed dry air which brings with it this list of global and human toxic issues and other potential bad things
such as ________________ and also_____________ but most of all___________.

Or N2O which brings with it gobal warming, potential toxic reactions and is known to be reactive with a commonly used metal in automotive wheels.

Hmm.....Reactive greenhouse gas or non reactive non greenhouse gas?

You make the call.
Kurt,

Classic Kurt! how much Co2 does a race car pump out with every 6.6lbs of gas? And you are worried about a few grams of NOS?
yes, Co2 can react with water and form (EDIT: carbonic acid not NO) .......... you think the small concentration of NOS in my tires is going to be apart of a spontaneous combustion event? All a big stretch. I've been using NOS for many years now. never has a rim or tire been damaged, weakened or scared due to its use.

every weekend, I donate lap that I don't take, to make up for the 1lb of NOS I use in my tires or blowing out brake dust.

Originally Posted by Cuda911
As the engineer says, the cup is neither half empty nor half full. It is always 100% full: 50% with water and 50% with air.

Yep..... exactly!

Originally Posted by DTMiller
If my brake rotors are slotted, are they filled with air?
the rotors or the slots?

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-01-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:26 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 177 Posts

I think it was perfectly clear what I meant. Classic response dodging the question.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, Co2 can react with water and form NO too

ANOTHER GEM!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
The only good thing Nitrogen has over compressor based air for tire fills is it is very dry. Period. Contrary to the sales pitches given for the nitrogen tire fills at the tire shops, Oxygen in air expands the same as Nitrogen and Oxygen does not leak out of tires faster than Nitrogen as the molecules are about the same size. The O2 in air does not hurt the inside of a tire ether. When was the last time you saw a worn out tire that had any visible breakdown on the inside that was not from running it while flat?
It is only the water that matters. Dry is good as it is has a more stable pressure rise and fall with temps. Dry is easy to do and you can get air as dry as from a nitrogen tank for a fraction of the cost and no tanks and fills needed. Get an in line desiccant air dryer and set it up on what you use to fill the tires. Fill through the filter and you will get many times the CF of air from a desiccant charge than you would get from a large Nitrogen tank.
Example if simple in line filter. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...Ml5XyiMECFadj7
Put a male fitting on one side and a female on the other and use it anywhere. Toss one in the glovebox for the street cars too. The stuff changes color when spent and you then simply swap out the filter. One filter can dry many tanks worth of compressor based air for a fraction of the cost and bother. 70 deg humid air in comes out as -40 dew point air. -40 dew point is bone dry.
+1 on this. You can make a ghetto dessicant dryer by filling a long air hose full of silica gel. Silica gel can be reused once you've dried it out in the oven.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 10-02-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Omit 1st para from quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

This all makes.much more sense now.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/int...aked-document/
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
+1 on this. You can make a ghetto dessicant dryer by filling a long air hose full of silica gel. Silica gel can be reused once you've dried it out in the oven.

Cheers,
Mike
"+1" ? you agree that propane in the tires might be the same as NOS??

the rest of Kurt's points were correct! so much hype over N2. folks spending 10bucks per tire to fill them with N2, with the thought that the car will get better gas mileage and be safer! so much hype!!

anyway, I use my mixture of NOS and air and always seem to come into the pits at 30psi race pushed tire temp. don't know how much better you can get than that. maybe sometimes im a pound or two off, but that could be track conditions or my cool down lap style. however that can happen with N2 in the tire too.

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-01-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I think it was perfectly clear what I meant. Classic response dodging the question.
classic? really? if your rotors are slotted do they fill with air? could mean the slots or the rotors themselves. or are you referring to the internal chambers of the rotor?

but since you are pressing for an answer, ill say that if you have slots, they are filled with air... where there is a open space, you will find air
Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
yes, Co2 can react with water and form NO too

ANOTHER GEM!!!
TROLL! I meant carbonic acid....

you see, all you need to do to be a human here, is say... "mark, do you mean carbonic acid? ".......
Old 10-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

If my brake rotors are slotted, are they filled with air?
I strongly recommend that you flush the rotors with N2 if you plan to track the car. Failure to do so is probably what caused your last track mishap.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:08 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

My head hurts, I did not know my hobby was so complicated. I must be doing it all wrong.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:16 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I know !

Use hellium !
Its lighter, and can be a ton of fun playing with after the races.

Also cheap and available at any party supply store.
Try it Mark, let us know how it works out for you.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Use hellium !

It decreases unsprung weight too!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
It decreases unsprung weight too!
That's true, but I imagine a few additional degrees of rake on the wing is needed to keep from floating away.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Use hellium !

I did, but I used it in the rear tires and it caused too much rear bias lockup.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

I guess helium is out. Our greenie friends won't approve:

Looming Helium Shortage Raises Alarms

The world is facing a critical helium shortage, which threatens much more than the party-balloon industry.

An odorless and colorless gas, helium (He on the periodic table) is the second-most-abundant element in the universe after hydrogen, but it's not easy to find or store in usable quantities — most of the helium in the atmosphere escapes into space, and our current helium supplies are largely extracted from underground natural-gas reserves.

But the looming helium shortage is actually the government's fault, according to Science magazine. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM), which manages the Federal Helium Reserve, sells off helium at below-market rates, encouraging waste and discouraging the development of new sources.

As a result, the United States and much of the industrialized world now faces an imminent "helium cliff."

http://www.livescience.com/38990-loo...-shortage.html

Quick Reply: Nitrogen tank for tire fills