Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It's my belief that telling a student what NOT to do, or "don't do XX", is not a good idea.. I keep my instructions (and his mind) focused on what he should be doing, but maybe that's just me.. Not sure scare tactics, especially for someone just starting out, is a good idea either.
I agree, I think it's best to focus on what students should do, which is how I instruct in the car (eg, I always say "stay on the gas", never "don't lift"). But outside the car, and especially in a classroom setting, I do think it's helpful to show the consequences of mistakes so that students can develop an appreciation of the risks involved (at least it was helpful to me). Otherwise, the risks tend to be abstract and 'things that happen to other people', especially for students who haven't done a lot of track days and seen many mishaps firsthand.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I've seen two incidents where street cars went up in flames, and in both cases, driver and instructor bailed out the windows. If their windows had been closed they might not be with us now. It's not easy to find a hammer to break the window when you've got flames and smoke around you.

^^^This ^^^^

And this ^^^ If you can't give a point-by on the straights, and you belong in the beginner run group for a while before we advise you to take up golf.
Been there done that, I believe I was one of those two you are referring to MG. I've been doing this and instructing for a few years (25+) so I have experienced a fair amount.
Windows down.
If point bys use up too much of your brain bandwidth then you are in the wrong group and driving over your head.
I agree with MGlobe 100 %
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Our region runs four student groups. Conventional wisdom here is that the second to the highest group (which we call yellow) is the most dangerous. These tend to be students who have some skills and speed but don't know as much as they think they know. Anecdotally, we do seem to see more asshattery in that group, and the most recent serious incidents have been in yellow. It makes sense that this might be the most dangerous run group, but we don't have meaningful statistics to prove that.

Mike, we use to have this done (a way to keep statistics), give me a call, tho not today, and we can discuss it. - We should have this back in place as it did help quite a bit from a variety of ways.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

It's my belief that telling a student what NOT to do, or "don't do XX", is not a good idea.. I keep my instructions (and his mind) focused on what he should be doing, but maybe that's just me.. Not sure scare tactics, especially for someone just starting out, is a good idea either.
Agree. don't blow sunshine but don't focus on non positive aspects. In car as well. Student blows a corner? Draw them back into focus for the next corner. not rehash the now in the past bad one. Student nails a corner? Remind them to remember it and think about it when back in the paddock. Too many folks focus on and mentaly retain the bad rather than retain and refine the good.
Originally Posted by Manifold
I agree, I think it's best to focus on what students should do, which is how I instruct in the car (eg, I always say "stay on the gas", never "don't lift"). But outside the car, and especially in a classroom setting, I do think it's helpful to show the consequences of mistakes so that students can develop an appreciation of the risks involved (at least it was helpful to me). Otherwise, the risks tend to be abstract and 'things that happen to other people', especially for students who haven't done a lot of track days and seen many mishaps firsthand.
I cant say I have run into too many green students that were not worried about wadding up their cars. No they did not know the more common ways to eat tirewalls but few were clueless to this being real world and not a video game with a reset button. Don't think you need to show a "scare them video" to learn. I tell my students about one car a weekend leaves on a flatbed and his will not be it if we plan our runs and run our plans.

I have found more effort is needed in student comfort so he / she can focus on learning rather than looking through a cloud of worries.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Kurt - try this as an example - Don't think about breasts.

What are you thinking about?

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-24-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Mike, we use to have this done (a way to keep statistics), give me a call, tho not today, and we can discuss it. - We should have this back in place as it did help quite a bit from a variety of ways.
We have the information Viking. It's just that the numbers are low enough that I question the statistical validity unless we go back and mine the data from inception.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

+991RSR
Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Don't think about VR's avatar...
Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

We have the information Viking. It's just that the numbers are low enough that I question the statistical validity unless we go back and mine the data from inception.
Speaking from fairly recent experience, I concur with the paraphrased statement that "most asshattery occurs in our yellow run group". Saw more of there than in any of the other run groups. Whites still have offs, but they appear to me to be "less dumb" and the way the drivers react to offs is much improved. Plus, traffic management is much better and there is less red mist from chowderheads not letting anyone past them as that would prevent them from driving "flat out".

-Mike
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

exactly, one of Gary's most used commands is the positive "BOTH FEET IN"

Not the negative "DON'T KILL US"

pretty surprising how often it comes up with him

I think the dirty little secret of DE safety is the overall lack of quality instruction. We get by with what we've got in order to make events work, but overall it's just not very good. Especially once you get past BOTS.

I'm always surprised when I get in with an "advanced" driver and ask them about how the car "feels" in a situation and they have no idea what I'm talking about. They'll talk brake points, turn in, throttle all day long but have no idea how the car is behaving. They were only ever taught linear inputs.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F

Not the negative "DON'T KILL US".
Remeber the time I did that in the hot pit on the way out for a session?

Wheras your most popular is "Is this as high as this seat goes?"
Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Not the negative "DON'T KILL US"

pretty surprising how often it comes up with him

I think the dirty little secret of DE safety is the overall lack of quality instruction. We get by with what we've got in order to make events work, but overall it's just not very good. Especially once you get past BOTS.

I'm always surprised when I get in with an "advanced" driver and ask them about how the car "feels" in a situation and they have no idea what I'm talking about. They'll talk brake points, turn in, throttle all day long but have no idea how the car is behaving. They were only ever taught linear inputs.
I believe how the car "feels" is a learned trait that can only come with seat time and with a car with very few to no self correcting capabilities. I do believe that the instructor needs to be very familiar with the type of vehicle that he is instructing in as it does make a difference. 911s, 987s and 944s handle differently, there "feel" is different. Most of the introductory instructors I have dealt with are there to make sure you and your equipment go home safely and in one piece, and they have a tendency to err on the side of safety. Their goal is normally to teach situational awareness, track lay out and basic car handling (how to use the brakes).

The advanced instructors I have dealt ask me what the car feels like in various parts of the turns and various parts of the track. They have a tendency to push me more to my capability limit to see what the edges "feel" like. And some time this leads to an off which is a lesson learned.

I have only ever had one instructor in my car that I will never have back and it was one who liked to grab the steering wheel. But as a rule they are good at what they do.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
I have only ever had one instructor in my car that I will never have back and it was one who liked to grab the steering wheel. But as a rule they are good at what they do.
Darn, I knew I shouldn't have done that.....
Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Darn, I knew I shouldn't have done that.....
I thought you were more of a close your eyes type
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I thought you were more of a close your eyes type
Normally I am, open them when I hear the driver say "checker", but that was the day I couldn't remember if I took my meds and I doubled up. I was a HANDFULL that day!

Quick Reply: DE Safety