DE Safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014 | 11:10 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXE36
" 120 in the straight? My grandmother can do that! If 120 in the straight has one too occupied, what are the corners like?"
+993....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-26-2014 | 11:18 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by naroescape
Chris
With all due respect, and only because you were a 993 driver....I still disagree. With beginners we should be making sure they are in a straight line and comfortable before giving a pass signal. and with more advanced drivers, if they can't give a point by, then they need more instruction.

I think people keep forgetting, this is drivers EDUCATION, we as instructors are there to EDUCATE them. Part of that education is having the ability to check their mirrors, and give a quick point by to allow people by. Simple and effective. And if the driver can't master that, then they slow down and keep practicing. That's all part of the learning experience, not just going fast.

Using your argument, we teach people to focus forward, look ahead....oh, except when you have to look in your mirrors and TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD to see if someone is behind you to let them pass. That is WAY more 'dangerous' than giving a quick hand out the window point by on a straight away.

Point byes are THE ONLY way of being consistent where every driver at every level can do the same thing.

Totally agree here. In fact, if you know someone is behind you, there is no reason to take your eyes of the track to point by. Finish the turn, keep your line and when your car is straight back off the throttle a little and point them by. Let the passing vehicle do the work.
Old 02-26-2014 | 03:51 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

best way to improve beginner drivers.
send them out in an SUV with crappy tires....let them HEAR how the tires/car reacts to input etc...

i think having a better checklist of things students need to do competently and GIVING IT TO THEM is very important...not an overall checklist ..check once and done....one for every day or every event....just like most of the coaches who tell you to take notes.
when i was a student i always got the talk etc that helped alot afterwards...i was never one to ask to move up a group....half the fun is managing traffic..just like a backroad when you get stuck behind UPS truck.

but as an instructor i cant tell you how many ask what they need to do to move up a group etc. i think having a better performance eval/skill worksheet would help them focus on what they need to do vs what they are filing away in muscle memory.

2 students can be hard on instructors...can also be awesome...

i like signing off and randomly popping back into the car jsut before they go out ....dont know why but they tend to tense up and drive crappier if you catch em off gaurd...usually puts them back in check for next day or session
Logbooks do ok, but something more open, ability to point out specific corners, early turn in's etc etc
or logbooks specific to each track vs the driver as a whole..for the driver not the instructor/safety chair

Any run group with Gary in it is DOOMED...especially if there are ***** anywhere on site. (i may put ***** on teh back of my car so he can watch them during races now hmmm...)

Cup car drivers are always at fault.

Tipping should be suggested at every drivers meeting.
Old 02-26-2014 | 06:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Any run group with Gary in it is DOOMED...especially if there are ***** anywhere on site. (i may put ***** on teh back of my car so he can watch them during races now hmmm...)
Almost done building my turb... errrr, I mean E legal motor. You may want to put those decals on the front..
Old 03-03-2014 | 12:39 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by mglobe
We have the information Viking. It's just that the numbers are low enough that I question the statistical validity unless we go back and mine the data from inception.
All you want anyway is the outliers, or a trend of outliers.
It's always obvious, we have a very good group overall.
Old 03-30-2014 | 03:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Doesn't address the nut behind the wheel, but good resource on other aspects of safety (fairly technical):

"Developments in Modern Racecar Driver Crash Protection and Safety: Engineering Beyond Performance", SAE 2014

http://books.sae.org/pt-160/
Old 03-31-2014 | 04:15 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Some real good stuff here. 10 years old but not out of date

Biomechanical Principles of Racecar Seat Design for Side Impact Protection
(2004-01-3515) Melvin, J. W., and Gideon, T. W.………………………………………………… 97
Race Car Nets for the Control of Neck Forces in Side Impacts (2004-01-3513)
Gideon, T. W., Melvin, J., and Begeman, P.……………………………………………………… 107

This will make you go look at your setup and see how much is missing or not well done. Examination of a Properly Restrained Motorsport Occupant (2013-01-0804)
Patalak, J. P., Gideon, T. W., and Melvin, J. W.…………………………………………………… 151

Quick Reply: DE Safety