Originally Posted by Sean F
maybe tire rack?
Tire Rack could work... but I think they have a deal with BMW club
Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
OK, guess I missed it during the commentary period - my fault. Guess I should officially STFU! Thanks!
For us in the NE, rant is all that is left until next Spring when we can get back on the track. So, it's all good.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Tire Rack could work... but I think they have a deal with BMW club
Actually, eventhough I have not run with NASA for at least 2-3 yeras, I still try to buy my tires from the tire supplier that was involved in getting contingency for NASA Mid-Atlantic and NE.

If this is to happen, it has to be through the tire guys that are at the track for support. I guess it is still Bob Woodman for PCA in the East.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
I just don't understand why we don't have tire contingency programs for PCA like there are for NASA. Or any other contingency programs, for that matter.

I would not want a program like the cup cars have
You get to by one tire...at a higher price...from one distributor.

That would not be good for the stock/gt classes.
Originally Posted by Sean F
maybe tire rack?
I don't think they have to work that way. One company, say Hoosier, could do the contingency, drivers who run their tires and stickers on the car are eligible, other are not.

As for the 'sliders' - I don't think PCA should be specing any specific brand. They could write a qualifying specification and the drivers choose any product that meets the spec. My guess is that there is no spec anywhere for sliders. I don't believe any are FIA certified. FIA certification could easily suffice for the PCA qualifying product spec. Maybe they called out the Sabelt brand because they had called out the Porsche Motorsports brand and didn't want to look like an extension of the marketing arm of Porsche. The Sabelt unit looks nice. I want to change to that style anyway, so I guess I will buy that one. They are less than $60.00.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

I have spent quite a bit of time on the subject of sliders and I am not finished yet.

I have been in touch with Walt.

The new rule only applies to those who have elected not to use a compliant seat back brace. If you use a seat back brace then it does not apply.

As far as I know, FIA do not have specs for sliders.

The double-locking sliders Porsche has been shipping in most (all?) Cup cars are apparently made by Recaro. These are the EXACT SAME part numbers/parts as shipped for manual seat sliders in a broad range of production cars from PAG, including many 996, 997, Boxster and Cayman models. They can be had used for as little as $100-150 from wrecking yards and places like E-Bay. I bought some used ones about a year ago from my good friends at Partsheaven.

My car is a 1975 911, and I installed these sliders last winter. Many 911 racers install their seats in such a way as to sit lower in the car for weight management or driver comfort. This often involves fabrication, and this fabrication sometimes involve removing the factory seat "platforms." I did this in my car to better manage driver weight.

I switched from my Recaro sliders to the new pin style because I feel the mechanism has less play and is more robust. And at the time I needed a project.

The fab work I did for the "Cup" (or "pin") style sliders was very similar to what I had to do for my previous double-locking Recaro and Sparco racing sliders.

Brey Krause has uprights designed to work with the pin style sliders. JWE has also made uprights, similar to those shipped in Cup cars, but these are not generally commercially available. I was able to get a pair of the latter.

To make the pin style sliders work, I had to cut off some of the tabs and pins that are used to locate them in newer chassis. Essentially, I had to make them flat on the bottom.

I then needed a way to extend the length of the top of each slider rail so that the front to rear spacing of my Recaro racing seat could be accommodated. I did not study how PAG do this with Cup cars that use Recaro or OMP seats with similar spacing. Instead I just bought some adapters made up by JWE. These bolt on and extend the length of the slider rail tops. Again, these are not (yet?) commercially available. But they could easily be made in the fab process.

The actuator bar for the pin style sliders has a set width. I was able to use it unmodified based on my mounting set up and seat width and car. I know that JWE has actually modified the actuator bar for some car/seat combinations for their customers. This required welding.

JWE has also created a production process for mounting these seats in earlier chassis, using a jig and weld-in mounts that essentially make the floor of an earlier 911 into the floor of a Cup/Boxster/996/997 car. The have developed a number of novel production parts and approaches for the 911 race cars the build/develop for their customers.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I'm reading the new rules, New Rule #1-4 ONLY applies if you DO NOT have a seat back brace.

If you DO have a seat back brace, you're in the clear and use the *old* rules.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Some pictures which show the uprights I used and the "slider rail extender." The latter is the alu piece to which the rear uprights are attached. They effectively lengthen the top part of each slider rail.
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Do I need a Cup Slider for my passenger seat too?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 912 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Do I need a Cup Slider for my passenger seat too?
Is anyone willing to ride with you?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD
Haha! Also why do Cup guys get a podium and nicer awards than the rest of us? At Road America they were called to have their own award ceremony. I dont have cup car money, but comparative to what I can afford im likely spending just as much (again...comparative).

I get tire companies may not want to sponsor our races (although NASA somehow pulls it off), but to give us lesser awards than to the cup guys...thats silly!

Meet the $6,600 award…. ……nicer? meh!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Is anyone willing to ride with you?
Not anymore, i've given up instructing to save the world.

Last edited by Gary R.; 11-08-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next year I'm going to try a new strategy: I'm going to propose a new rule that we be allowed to carry passengers in the passenger seats during races.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This came up a few years ago, https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...y-and-pca.html

I'd really like to see some tire companies offer contingencies in stock class which would be good for them (esp non-Hoosier since most are on Hoosiers) but then PCA would have to allow.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be awesome if pca offered tire contingencies for all classes
Old 11-08-2013, 08:18 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 453 Posts

It isn't PCA racing but I have 8 sticker Hoosiers sitting in the warehouse from NASA TT

Peter

Quick Reply: PCA Rule Changes