Sponsored by:

Hoosier Contingency and PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Hoosier Contingency and PCA?

Hoosier has contingency programs with NASA, SCCA, ARRC, and TCC, BUT NOT PCA! I spoke with Jeff S. at Hoosier and he said that there was an issue with PCA not allowing/wanting the contingency to be offered. Does anyone know why this is so?

I know that Hankook was offering contingency for PCA last year. I'm guessing that the program was not officially sanctioned by PCA.

If enough of us contact both PCA and Hoosier we might be able to get a program established ????
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, PCA is mainly for stock classed cars that are daily drivers and are actually driven to the track, raced, and then driven home. It doesn't make sense for PCA to allow a tire contingency as the tires would have a hard time making it to and from the track AND an entire race weekend. Now if cars were actually trailered to an event then it would be different.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

That Hankook contingency is pretty good IMO.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That Hankook contingency was pretty good IMO.
fixed...
Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
Tim, PCA is mainly for stock classed cars that are daily drivers and are actually driven to the track, raced, and then driven home. It doesn't make sense for PCA to allow a tire contingency as the tires would have a hard time making it to and from the track AND an entire race weekend. Now if cars were actually trailered to an event then it would be different.
Most "stock" class cars are not driven to and from the track. Those days are long gone.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Dave: Is it over? Kaput?? Finished???
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dave: Is it over? Kaput?? Finished???
all signs seem to be pointing that way...i've heard it from a few sources and hankook has removed all of the contingency forms from their site...still waiting on official word though

it was good while it lasted...it pretty much covered my tire costs for last year...
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last PCA club race I went to had ZERO cars driven to the race track. With full cages required, there are not many daily drivers left in the stock class. Everyone competitive drove on Hoosiers.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most "stock" class cars are not driven to and from the track. Those days are long gone.

+1, I would be terrified to drive to the track race and go home. No spares?!?? How many times have you gotten a flat in a race? In my stock class the front runners have 2 sets of new hoosiers for the weekend!! (2 races) and a set of scrubs for practice. A new tire will be on average .5sec faster then a used tire depending on the tire. Thats a HUGE difference when the pace is within a few tenths between them. How about Accidental contact? 1 mil other reasons to NOT drive to the track and race.

DE is a different story.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume you're kidding. If not you obviously haven't been to a PCA race lately.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
va122
Drifting

With full cages required, there are not many daily drivers left in the stock class.

Yea, what he said! I'm not getting a bonk on the head from a roll bar when some teenager on the phone cuts me off and i stop short.

Hell, i pick up a nail on the road like monthly.

Sorry strong feelings this am about that.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM
va122
Drifting

enough hijacking.

I for one would LOVE a hoosier contingency. I go through so many damn sets a year.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flatsics
Originally Posted by hp18racer
Last PCA club race I went to had ZERO cars driven to the race track. With full cages required, there are not many daily drivers left in the stock class. Everyone competitive drove on Hoosiers.
Originally Posted by va122

+1, I would be terrified to drive to the track race and go home. No spares?!?? How many times have you gotten a flat in a race? In my stock class the front runners have 2 sets of new hoosiers for the weekend!! (2 races) and a set of scrubs for practice. A new tire will be on average .5sec faster then a used tire depending on the tire. Thats a HUGE difference when the pace is within a few tenths between them. How about Accidental contact? 1 mil other reasons to NOT drive to the track and race.

DE is a different story.
Originally Posted by Jim Child
I assume you're kidding. If not you obviously haven't been to a PCA race lately.

Come on guys, I was poking fun at the PCA rules!

I drive a GT3R car, I know that only .05% of cars that race with PCA are driven to the track. Lighten up guys!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

OK you got me!
Perhaps the thinking is that if you can afford to drive a Porsche you don't need tire contingency money :O
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Come on guys, I was poking fun at the PCA rules!

I drive a GT3R car, I know that only .05% of cars that race with PCA are driven to the track. Lighten up guys!
Wow, and I thought I was bad at recognizing sarcasm...

Quick Reply: Hoosier Contingency and PCA?