Sponsored by:

PCA Rule Changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Thanks for shedding some light. Recaro HANS seat with Recaro sliders here...
Same for me. Recaro sliders do not have FIA tag. However, in some pro-series like World Challenge, the allowance for slider is at the discression of the scruits and from contact with a couple of shops/drivers, I was told that they have used Recaro sliders in the car. I realize that pro series have paid scruits vs. PCA which relies on volunteers, so I can accept that inspecting one-offs is not very practical for PCA.

Last edited by Nader Fotouhi; 11-08-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: text deleted
Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Agreed. I can imagine the mass of racers (non Cup drivers like me) who will have to change sliders. Hum, business opportunity!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD
Haha! Also why do Cup guys get a podium and nicer awards than the rest of us? At Road America they were called to have their own award ceremony. I dont have cup car money, but comparative to what I can afford im likely spending just as much (again...comparative).

I get tire companies may not want to sponsor our races (although NASA somehow pulls it off), but to give us lesser awards than to the cup guys...thats silly!
Good Lord don't you realize that Cup drivers represent the pinnacle of talent? Of course they deserve their own podium, awards, and contingencies.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

^ BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, mike I'm looking forward to getting out to TWS next year
Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Good Lord don't you realize that Cup drivers represent the pinnacle of talent? Of course they deserve their own podium, awards, and contingencies.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

The rules process this year seems to be a veritable dog's breakfast!

The slider rule affects me in my E Class car, and frankly, I have a problem with the rule as proposed. I don't recall any comment period on the rule at all - maybe I was just slow and missed it. If so, then I guess I need to STFU. BUT, the rules letter did not denote WHY the Sabelt slider IS allowed and why others are NOT. If it IS an FIA tag, then let's just say so and stop the endorsement of specific products in the rules.

And please don't get me started about tires for GTCx (I run GTC3 in some races).

Not only does the tire change seem arbitrary (from Michelin to Pirelli), we actually get to pay MORE (than a "stock Pirelli DH slick) for the same Pirelli tire because it's a PCA-approved tire (there are actually two listings for the Pirelli slicks - one the normal DH slick, and one that is the "PCA" DH slick, which OBTW costs MORE than the mere mortal slick!!!!!) Last year, tire prices escalated (~$2200/set) and we could ONLY buy tires from a single distributor. We were told it was done to benefit the Club. This year, we get the distinct pleasure of racing a new (to most GTCx drivers) tire that will drive plenty of experimentation and cost. The price escalation for "PCA-Approved" tires is a mystery to me especially since you will be DQ'ed for running the "stock" Pirelli DH tire. And I don't think we were offered any alternatives like the Yokohama or Continental (UGH!) or Dunlop slicks, or even an option to stay with the Michelin slick. As with the slider rule, I can't remember any discussion about a tire selection during the rules commentary period. Again, if I missed it, shame on me and I will STFU.
End

As with F1, the silly season in PCA Club Racing seems to have started with a bang! last night.

Last edited by Toby Pennycuff; 11-08-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Though I'm not certain, I think Sabelt actually makes the Recaro, Sparco, etc sliders. They are all the same.

I have exchanged several emails with Walt over the current and future slider rule. His argument is that the seat mounts in the older cars are crap (which is probably true in most cars). Evidently the only PCA Club Racing death involved a failed seat mount. I can appreciate PCA wanting to "standardize" seat mounting and sliders as much as possible and keep everybody safe. But installing the modern Porsche sliders in the old cars is not a small undertaking for several reasons, both technically and financially. It is far from "bolt-in." It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

And yeah, it would sure be nice for us lowly Stock class racers to have a tire contingency program too. Why the discrepancy? But I could not care less about the fancy trophies and podium ceremonies for C3-5 (which I'm sure were paid for by Jackson and now JX2).
Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Great. Cutting and welding... again.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sabelt slider certainly looks very similar to the Recaro slider. Anyone familiar with both that can articulate the differences?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
The rules process this year seems to be a veritable dog's breakfast!

The slider rule affects me in my E Class car, and frankly, I have a problem with the rule as proposed. I don't recall any comment period on the rule at all - maybe I was just slow and missed it. If so, then I guess I need to STFU. BUT, the rules letter did not denote WHY the Sabelt slider IS allowed and why others are NOT. If it IS an FIA tag, then let's just say so and stop the endorsement of specific products in the rules.
The slider/seat/mount were in the proposed rule because I commented on them and sounds like so did Astroman.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman

And yeah, it would sure be nice for us lowly Stock class racers to have a tire contingency program too. Why the discrepancy? But I could not care less about the fancy trophies and podium ceremonies for C3-5 (which I'm sure were paid for by Jackson and now JX2).
I just don't understand why we don't have tire contingency programs for PCA like there are for NASA. Or any other contingency programs, for that matter.

I would not want a program like the cup cars have
You get to by one tire...at a higher price...from one distributor.

That would not be good for the stock/gt classes.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Sabelt slider certainly looks very similar to the Recaro slider. Anyone familiar with both that can articulate the differences?
Actually, that looks like the Sparco slider, unless the Recaro slider has changed in recent years. The handle attachment mechanism on the Recaro slider looks very different than that one, but I bought mine used and its at least a few years old. Also the Recaro slider I have has a rectangular body - it doesn't have the "ridge" along the top as shown in that picture.

-Mike
Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
I just don't understand why we don't have tire contingency programs for PCA like there are for NASA. Or any other contingency programs, for that matter.

I would not want a program like the cup cars have
You get to by one tire...at a higher price...from one distributor.

That would not be good for the stock/gt classes.
maybe tire rack?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
The slider/seat/mount were in the proposed rule because I commented on them and sounds like so did Astroman.
OK, guess I missed it during the commentary period - my fault. Guess I should officially STFU! Thanks!

At least I can still rant about the GTC tires!

Quick Reply: PCA Rule Changes