Sponsored by:

PCA Rule Changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cetom
hello. would somebody please tell me where i can get the sabelt sliders for a 997 911 . thank you
If you already have stock manual Porsche sliders, then keep those. Those were the impetus for the new rule change.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:11 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
This one is compliant with the new rule?
This is from the Sabelt website.

http://www.sabelt.com/en/racing/Prod...correvoli.aspx

This is the same part number:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...eltRacingSeats

Here are the 2014 PCA rule changes for sliders:

If a slider is used, it must be:
a. For 996s and later 911s, 996 and later Cup or other factory race cars, Boxsters, and Caymans, the slider used on the Porsche Cup cars (996.521.929.00) or the similar part used on the other specified models when delivered without a power seat slider.

b. For all other models, any slider other than the Cup type must be approved by the PCA Club Racing Rules Chair, and must mount to the chassis with at least one M8 grade 8.8 bolt at each end of each slider. Earlier cars which used 6mm bolts must have the chassis mounting modified to accept 8mm or larger bolts. At present only the Sabelt double locking slider is approved if a Cup or equivalent Porsche slider is not used.

So the way I interpret it, the rule states 996 and later cars must use the factory Porsche slider.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

It may be important to remember that the new rules are only for sliders used in situations where the race car does not have a seat back brace. If you have a seat back brace in place, it must meet PCA rules on seat back braces, but these new rules for sliders do not apply.

In some situations, folks may elect to have both sliders and seat back braces. My car is set up this way. The new 2014 rules for sliders do not apply to my car.

That being said, about a year ago I elected to change from Recaro double locking racing sliders to Recaro's newer pin style sliders (shipped in water-cooled Porsche street cars and GT3 Cups for years). Used sets are about $100-150 and readily available. I made the change because my Recaro double locking racing sliders had some play after about a decade of use.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:36 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

Since this is our Club, can't all stock class participants reachable by email petition the passenger seat rule and get it changed? There should be some means to have this changed in our favor. I have yet to talk to a stock class participant that supports the idea of having a useless passenger seat installed, with the exception of the rules chair person himself.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Since this is our Club, can't all stock class participants reachable by email petition the passenger seat rule and get it changed? There should be some means to have this changed in our favor.
A long-time PCA club racer tried to start a petition on another issue this past summer. It didn't go over so well.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:55 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Didn't go over well as in the Club Race powers that be didn't want any feedback? I'd hope not.

When the technical chair believes having a passenger seat is a safety benefit as it makes egress easier, yet every other racer I encounter feels differently, it seems our club needs to do something besides let this be ignored.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Didn't go over well as in the Club Race powers that be didn't want any feedback? I'd hope not.
For fear of retribution, I think I've said enough!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Since this is our Club, can't all stock class participants reachable by email petition the passenger seat rule and get it changed? There should be some means to have this changed in our favor. I have yet to talk to a stock class participant that supports the idea of having a useless passenger seat installed, with the exception of the rules chair person himself.
I guess I must be the exception. I liked the days when stock was stock. No remote reservoirs shocks, stock interiors, heating and AC.

Now stock is GT with some restrictions on engine and suspension mods. I used to drive my car on a daily basis and take passengers.

I guess I am reminiscing, and those days are long gone. Very sad.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samluke
Now stock is GT with some HUGE restrictions on engine and suspension mods.
Fixed it for you. And also huge restrictions on transmissions, weight, tires, wheels, aero, and passenger seats .

IMO, with the exception of remote res shocks, "new" Stock is now Stock with safer stripped interiors, full cages, and many more years of car development.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess I must be the exception. I liked the days when stock was stock. No remote reservoirs shocks, stock interiors, heating and AC.

Now stock is GT with some restrictions on engine and suspension mods. I used to drive my car on a daily basis and take passengers.

Too much of a safety risk under the old way... Time/safety marches on...
Old 12-15-2013, 03:43 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I still drive to/from the races in my J-class car. I could use the passenger seat area for more storage if that seat wasn't there, too!

I agree it is a shame stock is no longer actually stock.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
Too much of a safety risk under the old way... Time/safety marches on...
I agree with the safety part, but not the expensive shock packages that one can run, etc.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:29 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Astroman
Fixed it for you. And also huge restrictions on transmissions, weight, tires, wheels, aero, and passenger seats .

IMO, with the exception of remote res shocks, "new" Stock is now Stock with safer stripped interiors, full cages, and many more years of car development.
I don't see how trick suspension, trick exhausts, chip mapping, and gutted interiors, stiffened body shells and massive ballast to get to spec weight, makes it any safer. But that's just me.

Stock used to be great, relatively cost effective to get into and fun. Show up and drive. Now it's an arms race if you want to be anywhere near the front.

I used to recommend PCA stock as an entry to racing. Not anymore.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't see how trick suspension, trick exhausts, chip mapping, and gutted interiors, stiffened body shells and massive ballast to get to spec weight, makes it any safer. But that's just me.

Stock used to be great, relatively cost effective to get into and fun. Show up and drive. Now it's an arms race if you want to be anywhere near the front.

I used to recommend PCA stock as an entry to racing. Not anymore.
Rules for stock class really have not changed all that much since I started racing in 2004.

Unless you were racing way before 2004, I don't think the top level cars have changed all that much.

Back in 2004 guys had double adjustable remote res. shocks, mono ball suspensions, trick headers.

I think the main differences today have more to do with the greater percentage of cars that are properly developed than actual rule changes.

Just one example:

I am using Mark Hupfer.
Mark is regarded as one of the best racers in PCA.
He races a 1981-83 911 Euro SC in Stock E
Euro SC has been thought of as the best car in E class for some time.
Mark completely rebuilt his car for the 2012 season.
Before 2012 it was a well prepped car with a basic cage, well developed suspension. He had old Koni double adjustable shocks, some decent headers, but nothing really crazy as far as the build.

For 2012 the car was completely redone by the 901 Shop:
Suspension points reinforced.
State of the art cage
Full suspension rebuild
Triple adjustable remote reservoir shocks
New Special order BBS 15" wheels
Fuel Cell
Custom 901 shop headers

E class track records:

Road America E MARK HUPFER 2:34.243 2013-08-31
Road America E MARK HUPFER 2:34.374 2009-09-06

Putnam E MARK HUPFER 1:17.428 2013-08-17
Putnam E MARK HUPFER 1:17.698 2012-07-15
Putnam E MARK HUPFER 1:17.875 2005-07-16
Putnam E MARK HUPFER 1:17.894 2004-09-18
Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Of course this would work, see if Sean still has the template!

Quick Reply: PCA Rule Changes