Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RA - Gt group, another first lap wreck

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Cold slicks with cold track surface is something every driver needs to manage appropriately.

I raced with DOT Hoosiers the last 9 or so years with my 968 and just recently started driving my new car with Michelin Slicks. The slicks on a cold surface offer "Zero" adhesion until some heat is created. I had heard how Slicks take longer to heat up compared to DOT Hoosiers and didn't comprehend it until driving in 40 degree temps.

I'm guessing the driver understimated how little heat was in his tires? A costly error and one I'm certain he's sick over.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,957 Likes on 1,734 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Sorry, looks like the guy ran out of talent. I don't even see an attempt at counter steer
No time when the left tire is on the damp and right side is on the dry...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,957 Likes on 1,734 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Cold slicks with cold track surface is something every driver needs to manage appropriately.

A costly error and one I'm certain he's sick over.
More than you know...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Also a GT3 cup does not allow enough countersteer to save some spins. Ridiculously small maximum wheel angle. Not a good drift car (I tried).
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No time when the left tire is on the damp and right side is on the dry...
Well, then, having been in this position, perhaps a Squeeze on the throttle would have been better as opposed to mashing it, especially if cold and the tires not up to temp. Guys....we are talking in circles. This is a driver error......period. Not saying I could have handled it any better, but it is what it is.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 801 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Sorry, looks like the guy ran out of talent. I don't even see an attempt at counter steer
Agreed. All I see is driver error here. Folks need to stop making excuses for what happened.......

Scott
Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever. This is a very frustrating post to read. Things happen in a race in a millisecond. Hard to predict, but easy to criticize.

Easy to be safe all the time, but rarely does that mean that you win ever. This becomes more and more true with the higher Hp cars.

Say anything you want, but I will never criticize the work of another driver because I was not in their shoes.

Ed
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Whatever. This is a very frustrating post to read. Things happen in a race in a millisecond. Hard to predict, but easy to criticize.

Easy to be safe all the time, but rarely does that mean that you win ever. This becomes more and more true with the higher Hp cars.

Say anything you want, but I will never criticize the work of another driver because I was not in their shoes.

Ed
911 racer.....it is equally frustrating for me as an active racer and one who has had more than my share of headaches from inexperienced drivers in cup cars. I mean no disrespect and my aim is not to criticize, but everyone seems so content on coming up with excuses when the simple fact is a mistake was made, and it was not made by the car who got collected. Track conditions warranted a different approach, and this approach was not taken by the car that lost control.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember being involved in an incident at a PCA RA event 10 or 12 years ago. Fun race for the red group, third practice start after two good ones, dry track but damp or even wet grass. Someone two or three cars ahead went onto the track right grass, mashed the throttle and immediately came across the track. In front of two cars in front of me. That close together there is no time to correct. Not for the error of going off track nor for the braking of the cars in front. And these cars are much faster and more difficult--even for the drivers at the head of the pack. Sure, some component of driver error is always involved--we are humans. But we've heard a lot of thoughtful analysis, and seen only a scant amount of the video. I'm with Ed, and I feel like I've been there.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 AM
KSV
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there and seen video, 45 pic by pic slide show and the accident first had the 69 driver loosed it on cold tires. No-one ended up in Hospital.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 AM
KSV
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some truth to add, #69 already had 13 (for a reason), people at the track that know his team members and reputation of the driver said good driver, aggressive and got too fast into a too fast car, also that #69 got penalized from previous race for too aggressive driving the same weekend, that tells something. And #222 driver "tapping" the #69 driver's helmet to get his attention? wrong, but really 69 messed up.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 801 Likes on 398 Posts

Ed and Julian,

Are you guys suggesting that this was unavoidable and to be expected if you ever want to win? Maybe this is the prevailing attitude amongst some/many Cup Car drivers and maybe that is why we see the carnage we do.....

Scott
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer

Ed
Well put Ed
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At the very least, is there any harm in considering that the track move the flag station further up that straight, say, like 1/2 way?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

First
Klauss, very sorry to see!
Second,
Do we really need training wheels??
This is racing, stuff happens. The implied "all this happens in cup car races" is getting old... If they are at the front of any race, they drive well up to that point to be in that position. I guess it's logical that as people transition to a fast growing class in a fast car around new opponents there will be growing pains.
I think frOm now on, criticism can only be administered by those that are as fast or faster than those that have the incident and film supplied by those behind.... LOL!
Time to lighten up, it's racing, it's dangerous. The only ones who haven't wrecked are the ones that will and if you have already you may yet again....
Like many comments before over many years here, your car is already wrecked you just don't know the date...
In all incidents you have the option if you screw up to offer to help repair the car, otherwise you take your lick, move in and leave the discipline and licensing to the stewards and organization you choose to run with.

Quick Reply: RA - Gt group, another first lap wreck