Sponsored by:

RA - Gt group, another first lap wreck

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:22 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 849 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Yes it is our duty to keep in control. But we are out there to have a good time AND to try to win. The line between being safe and not losing race position is TOO FINE when we don't have the opportunity to warm up our tires properly. It's easy to crash when you don't even do anything wrong on cold slicks in a cup.

Proper pace lap speeds, and an extra pace lap in cold/wet conditions are NECESSARY and this should be in the rule book.
Come on Mike. If you don't get to warm up the tires properly because of conditions or whatever, you have to take that into account when you start. If you crash, you did something wrong. Where is the personal responsibility??

I think the Cup Car owners out there with wadded up cars through no fault of their own would prefer it if people would put "being safe" a little higher on their priority list. It would be different if this how people were making a living and their job was to win. But, this is Club Racing. All most people are going to get, at best, is a plastic trophy and the respect of their peers. Isn't the later the most important?

Scott
Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,031 Likes on 1,778 Posts

While David spoke of the benefit of warming the brakes to propagate heat from the rotors to the wheels, hence increase tire pressures and warm the tires, that is not factually the reason why fore-aft (gas-brake) is the ONLY way to properly warm the tires (which it IS).

The tire engineers will tell you that the goal is to generate heat internally through friction between the diagonal wrapping of the internal layers of fabric or metal belts.

The torque thrust generated by longitudinal acceleration/deceleration causes their movement against each other, quickly and evenly generating heat throughout the carcass, propagating through to the tread layer but also raising the internal temperature (thereby pressure) and stabilizing the tire as a platform.

David correctly pointed out that acceleration helps the rear tires warm more quickly and braking helps the front tires more quickly, but constant left-foot preload on the brakes doesn't count. It's the DELTA, or change in acceleration/deceleration rates that move the belts and generate heat internally and on the surface.

It always cracks me up to see people move side to side. While that knocks off external debris (particularly valuable at sandy paddocks), it does nothing for the warming of the tires.

IMO, Cory was the master of this that day. He laid down rubber leaving the pit lane from the false grid and aggressively, at every opportunity, accelerated past the point of losing traction in the rear, following by hard and longer braking to get the fronts balanced with the rears in anticipation of the start.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it is our duty to keep in control. But we are out there to have a good time AND to try to win. The line between being safe and not losing race position is TOO FINE when we don't have the opportunity to warm up our tires properly. It's easy to crash when you don't even do anything wrong on cold slicks in a cup.

Proper pace lap speeds, and an extra pace lap in cold/wet conditions are NECESSARY and this should be in the rule book.
The lack of a two lap pace was noted by several old timers from another racing org who were in attendance. It was mentioned that typically that decision comes from the race chair or chief steward of the event. They gave us two in rain Saturday morning. Guess I should stay out of this discussion & leave to the fast guys & pros. The wheels & tires on the rear of a Cup cost more than my car, trailer & tow.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by chrisc
The lack of a two lap pace was noted by several old timers from another racing org who were in attendance.
I resemble that remark!

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
couple of thoughts or comments from my experience:

1. i'm not sure but its possible everyone in the field, in adverse conditions might have benefited from seeing the damp spots at least once before going to full power;

2. but a 997 cup is an absolute handful. the 997 Cup is just so much harder to drive than lets say a Ferrari grand am car, etc.

as far as the #69 car, that's just a mistake, its gonna happen, he takes his 13 and everything else is a result of playing with big expensive toys.
^^THIS^^

It's easy to crash when you don't even do anything wrong on cold slicks in a cup.
Word.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It always cracks me up to see people move side to side. While that knocks off external debris (particularly valuable at sandy paddocks), it does nothing for the warming of the tires.
Peter, I'm not trying to be argumentative or a smart-*** but: Why is it funny if it does indeed serve a "valuable" purpose (to remove clag, sand, gravel, etc)?

Yes, I agree multiple acceleration/decel is the most important warm-up lap practice (as has been discussed here many times). But don't you also do at least a few side to side swerves before taking a green flag?

Thanks for the explanation on the "delta" with regards to dragging a left foot brake. That makes a lot of sense!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have no dog in this fight, especially regarding 1 pace lap versus 2. My concern was with the pace speeds.
Every time I have ever driven the pace car for a PCA CR, the pace speed was absolutely dictated by the chief steward. The pace car driver just sets the speed when and where (on the track) they are told, real time, over the radio. Maybe it's different now, but that was my experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

And the same was true with my non-PCA experience driving the pace car. I will say this: in one instance, the Steward suggested a speed, I looked at the field behind me and recommended 10 MPH higher due to the prevalence of cars on full slicks, and he agreed. So experience in & out of the pace car does count.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
But don't you also do at least a few side to side swerves before taking a green flag?

Thanks for the explanation on the "delta" with regards to dragging a left foot brake. That makes a lot of sense!
I drive (and have driven) slick-shod cars for a few decades, but the "shaking of the head" for me is because I know that the reason why people do this is because that's what they think they're supposed to do, that it's not rooted in fact or science.

No, I don't generally do (or recommend) side to side movement, but depending on the detritus on the tires, I sometimes move side to side upon leaving pit lane to knock crap off, but not after T1.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

The reason I asked about 1or 2 pace car laps is that few weeks ago I posted here about somewhat similar accident (but single car- mine). There were other variables but the weather was pretty similar. With 200 less hp than a 7Cup I hit the gas offline in the wet and looped into the inside wall down the front straight nose first without collecting anybody.

Might I have done the same thing with 2 warm up laps? Possibly not but next time don't intend to try the same maneuver and find out.

But I would say that with all the emphasis on safety by the PCA and others, taking an extra pace car lap in 40F wet weather doesn't seem overly cautious.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
The reason I asked about 1or 2 pace car laps is that few weeks ago I posted here about somewhat similar accident (but single car- mine). There were other variables but the weather was pretty similar. With 200 less hp than a 7Cup I hit the gas offline in the wet and looped into the inside wall down the front straight nose first without collecting anybody.

Might I have done the same thing with 2 warm up laps? Possibly not but next time don't intend to try the same maneuver and find out.

But I would say that with all the emphasis on safety by the PCA and others, taking an extra pace car lap in 40F wet weather doesn't seem overly cautious.
I was the pace car driver when this happened. We did 60-65 MPH until the black flag station at T9, when I turned off lights & gathered the field. But only 1 pace lap.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes- great lap pace. But adding to my circumstances was not getting out in quali due to mechanical issues. So starting near the back, the back half of the field had barely caught up to the front by T12 when green was called. There was no time to scrub even though I rode the brakes.
I know it wasn't your call but I wonder if others expected a second lap as well- I admit I did even though they did not announce it at the drovers meeting. It's just seemed like the right thing to do. I've been in early morning races at RA in 50F dry weather and they've given us a 2fer.

But even given 2 laps I think there was a real possibility I would have had the same result.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Winders. It is the racer's responsibility to be aware of and take into account all variables that may influence the car at the drop of the green. If it is cold, wet, or the brakes are cold or the tires not hot, or if the pace car is going to slow, or if you have a bunch of jackasses around you, then you the racer need to beware of this and drive accordingly.

I have raced in all of the aforementioned conditions, made mistakes and also conquered. In the end, if I wreck my car but it was someone else's fault, who cares? My car is still trashed (reference Mid-Ohio where a mis-shift and an over zealous evasive maneuver by others cost me my car) and in the end I loose.

I wasn't at RA, but it sounds like the race was not going to be won on the first lap and people could have proceeded more cautiously. Then again, it's racing, and red mist will get us all at one time or another.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can so easily see how this could happen. These are monster cars, with brute HP, big fat tires, cold temps, it all adds up. Plus, there's so much noise you can't even hear your own car come up.
But I also think that at R/Atl the green shouldn't be thrown this early. The leaders still have steering lock on. The first few rows at least should be straight line when it flies.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys wouldnt survive the 13 rule.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
With 200 less hp than a 7Cup I hit the gas offline in the wet and looped into the inside wall down the front straight nose first without collecting anybody.
Thank you. That was my first ever red flag sighting. Though IIRC, it wasn't the last one that weekend! I also thought I would never see conditions worse at RA than then. Got that one wrong.

Quick Reply: RA - Gt group, another first lap wreck