RA - Gt group, another first lap wreck

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
WTF?????????

So I can just run out and buy the next RSR, screw up all over the place and not expect to hear a word from veterans, those who drive lowly E stock cars, GT4 cars and, God help us, a mere 6Cup?
And you thought you were the devils advocate...
Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I'm sorry, but this is a phenomenally stupid, arrogant, and elitist thing to say, IMO. And it's not true. Just look at guys like Jim Buckley and John Gladwill, for example.

Attitudes like this only fuel some of the perceptions about the high powered cars' drivers, rightly or wrongly, and are most unhelpful.
Just sharing a fellow drivers comment. Guess he like many cup, rsr, etc drivers are a bit sick of hearing it all pointed at "cup drivers".
Agree on the talent of many including Musante, hupfer, greene, jupermam,crossman, new spbox guy Mitchell? The names you mentioned and others I and you are forgetting right now.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It would be fun to watch Mitchell Butaud in a cup car in a year or two. He just got started two years ago in the SPBOX. Ran with the fast guys in his rookie race, in a car that isn't all that great.

That kid can pedal!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
And you thought you were the devils advocate...
Don't shoot the messenger.
I'm sorry Glen.

I was (am) pissed and failed to seperate you from the email....IOU a a drink or two, would anyway.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Just sharing a fellow drivers comment. Guess he like many cup, rsr, etc drivers are a bit sick of hearing it all pointed at "cup drivers".
Agree on the talent of many including Musante, hupfer, greene, jupermam,crossman, new spbox guy Mitchell? The names you mentioned and others I and you are forgetting right now.
I am sick of it, too, because there are problem drivers in every race group of every sanctioning body. But attitudes like this only further the comments he is objecting to...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Glen
Race Car

Actually now that I reflect. I've driven around many many cup guys for the better part of 10 years and overall am very impressed with the awareness, FairPlay, cooperation and decision making of all of them at the pointy end of the field. So I very receptive to input from them and others. Honestly though the cup guys can listen to a bunch of people complain about how thry(cups etc) screw up, are in over their head, Monday morning qb, etc... And one says something back , and he's the arrogant disconnected individual? Cmon really? Have you read the comments about us " cup idiots" for the last few years from many???

How about the blocking efforts by others, or how many times we drive through the grass or off track to avoid a car that didn't see us coming, or didn't hold their line, or worse....
Fair is fair, can't have a bunch of stereotyping crap talk without some rebuff or rebuttal, regardless of the words used.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I am sick of it, too, because there are problem drivers in every race group of every sanctioning body. But attitudes like this only further the comments he is objecting to...
But the problem is exacerbated when one puts a relatively inexperienced, or an "average" driver in a Cup car.

And then, at times, you do indeed get the "gee, I'm fast, therefore..." complex.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

That behavior has been unfortunately exhibited by racers in every class including the Cups, especially when there are mixed classes with vast speed differentials. No one is immune from being the victim of this nor from the rhetoric around it, even some which is 100% unjustified.

But to suggest that someone who drives a lower HP car is unqualified to criticize the asshattery of someone in a high HP car is asinine. Just as it would be if the labels were reversed.

Kai, I somewhat disagree. The speeds are higher, as are the bills, but asshattery is asshattery.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Actually now that I reflect. I've driven around many many cup guys for the better part of 10 years and overall am very impressed with the awareness, FairPlay, cooperation and decision making of all of them at the pointy end of the field. So I very receptive to input from them and others. Honestly though the cup guys can listen to a bunch of people complain about how thry(cups etc) screw up, are in over their head, Monday morning qb, etc... And one says something back , and he's the arrogant disconnected individual? Cmon really? Have you read the comments about us " cup idiots" for the last few years from many???

How about the blocking efforts by others, or how many times we drive through the grass or off track to avoid a car that didn't see us coming, or didn't hold their line, or worse....
Fair is fair, can't have a bunch of stereotyping crap talk without some rebuff or rebuttal, regardless of the words used.
Glen, you conditioned your statement by using the term "pointy end of the field"...this isn't the general problem with the factory cars, is it?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Glen
Race Car

I'm sorry Glen.

I was (am) pissed and failed to seperate you from the email....IOU a a drink or two, would anyway.
No sweat, sorry to see it happen. Think I'm going to put together a figure 8 invitational for the 13/13 guys at season end...
Having been a member there are years I would have to participate.

As always free shots if Patron for anyone in my class at any race. Offer good only nights before race days....

Look forward to seeing you soon and sharing cocktails and viewpoints.

To be clear I think the dialogue is healthy , all perceptions are valid and have merit , right and wrong... Just unjust...everyone will see it from their perspective and that us indeed to be respected.

So now the question becomes... Was Vettel right or wrong? Lol
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Glen
Race Car

Glen, you conditioned your statement by using the term "pointy end of the field"...this isn't the general problem with the factory cars, is it?
Kai
Fair enough ,I'm referring to the group I've raced with and against for a long time. Usually in the Cup fields there are other gt cars near the front also and we have all as a general rule figured out how to make it work together. There is a husband wife that are very quick in some older air cooled cars and we've been around each other a lot. Musante is always there etc.. So again it's not just factory cars. The problems have been around a long time and as a group we continue to fine tune and improve our format. Still love racing pca!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Kai, I somewhat disagree. The speeds are higher, as are the bills, but asshattery is asshattery.
And that's cool Dave.

I've been PM's by many folks who are sharing their private concerns and would go door to door with them or anyone involved in this discussion anytime. But, this seems to be a select, experienced group -

I'll have to fade from this thread now, as I've already deleted words I'd regret having posted.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Kai
Fair enough ,I'm referring to the group I've raced with and against for a long time. Usually in the Cup fields there are other gt cars near the front also and we have all as a general rule figured out how to make it work together. There is a husband wife that are very quick in some older air cooled cars and we've been around each other a lot. Musante is always there etc.. So again it's not just factory cars. The problems have been around a long time and as a group we continue to fine tune and improve our format. Still love racing pca!
And I really look forward to racing with these very people - and chasing Polk's cow around!!!

Till then...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

"Wow, after reading all 146 posts I’m so glad I was home by then.
I don’t know what the answer is but I have a lot of experience is very fast cars and on any given day I can be great or a knucklehead.
The guys the drive slow cars have no business preaching to the fast guys."
The sentence I have the most concern about is not the last one. It's the one right before it.

What exactly does he mean by saying he can be a "knucklehead"?

That last sentence is a sentiment that I have seen in every form of racing I have been involved with. It seems that many of the "fast guys" have an attitude and think only "fast guys" have any business commenting on what they are doing. Well, that is clearly bogus.

You don't have to be one of the fast guys to see that there are "issues" with what is going in at least some of the Cup Car races. I don't pretend to know what the issues are, but they are real. I won't be racing a Cup Car any time soon so I don't have to worry too much about. But, my race car is fast enough to be around Cup Cars in races with mixed grids so I have a justification to be interested.

Scott
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by winders
The sentence I have the most concern about is not the last one. It's the one right before it.

"What exactly does he mean by saying he can be a "knucklehead"?"

He means he makes mistakes,just like myself.

"That last sentence is a sentiment that I have seen in every form of racing I have been involved with. It seems that many of the "fast guys" have an attitude and think only "fast guys" have any business commenting on what they are doing. Well, that is clearly bogus."

Agree,there are great drivers in each class,at many corner worker stations and in the tower. They all can and have taught myself many valuable lessons.it's the listening and retention I am working on....

"You don't have to be one of the fast guys to see that there are "issues" with what is going in at least some of the Cup Car races. I don't pretend to know what the issues are, but they are real. I won't be racing a Cup Car any time soon so I don't have to worry too much about. But, my race car is fast enough to be around Cup Cars in races with mixed grids so I have a justification to be interested."

Again agree,I believe everyone is concerned,hence the discussion.

Scott
Thanks for your input,I appreciate it very much.

Quick Reply: RA - Gt group, another first lap wreck