Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA SPEC BOXSTER D.O.A.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 PM
txhansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2010 NASATX agreed to let us run the square setup which was the big rule issue I am aware of in Texas anyway. This was a gentlemen's agreement however and they would not put it in writing. 3 of us decided to show up for that event and afraid a 3 car group is just not exciting. I personally do not think in Texas the issue is the rule set but rather the racers here are loyal to Porsche / PCA and just don't want to race with other groups. It is the reason my SPBOX is for sale as running PCA only makes the schedule too hard with too many long tows as there are only 3 races all year that are less than a 6-7 hour tow from DFW. I love the car and the people I race with and just wish more people would have raced with NASA. If SPB is a PCA/POC class only I believe it will greatly limit the growth of the class. The general race poplution is not as loyal to a brand / group (how many Spec Miata racers own a street Mazda?) as most SpecBoxster racers. Guess I need to drop the price of my car a bit now to get it sold.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Paul:
My point about aero was that the intention was to race a car that could run with both PCA and NASA under a common set of rules, without spending a bunch of extra money on aero, Hoosiers, and other mods.

A 2.5 Boxster winning in GTS2 in Mid Atlantic, will be a stretch. How many guys will bother with no shot at the top step of the podium? Also, if I wanted to spend $40K+ (includes the current $25K street price for an SPB) to make a 2.5 Boxster competitive.

Look at the lap times from NASA Mid Atlantic at VIR last weekend. GTS2 pole 2:09. GTS2 podium on Saturday, 2:10.1, 2:10.5, 2:12.4. Sunday was wet so I didn't bother to include those results.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2171647

Sad that PCA and NASA couldn't just have a common set of rules. That would have benefited them and the SPB racers.

Last edited by Carrera51; 02-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
As for GTS2 - we'll get creamed since we can't do suspension or aero.
Vali Predesco won the GTS2 Nationals in 2010 at Miller driving a stock Spec Box just running R6's....
Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

GTS1 was won by a 944 spec car on Hoosiers at Miller 2009 and I think 2010 as well (not sure in 2010).

Even so a 944 spec is not a competitive GTS1 car if a properly built GTS1 car shows up.

Don't forget the cost to run Hoosiers is more than to run a slower tire like a RA-1 or NT01. Spec Boxster is supposed to be budget class...
Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Paul:
My point about aero was that the intention was to race a car that could run with both PCA and NASA under a common set of rules, without spending a bunch of extra money on aero, Hoosiers, and other mods.
A SPB could never be a winner in GTS2 if anyone was serious.
Just think, take an SPB, add aero, add LSD, and Hoosiers, larger brakes, short gears, MCS - Motion Control Suspension with real spring rates.

How will a SPB keep up with that ? There really isn't any way for it to be in GTS without spending a lot of money.

SPB needs it's own class in NASA, PCA, and PCOB, with the same or very similar, easy to cross run organizations, rule set. That's the answer.

I think the racers can demand it to happen as well, but you can't allow a couple of ego's and some hurt feelings to get involved and ruin the class.

I am still hopeful that NASA will do the right thing.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Vali Predesco won the GTS2 Nationals in 2010 at Miller driving a stock Spec Box just running R6's....
Yeah but that gypsy can drive !
You and he both should come down to Texas and race !
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Spec Boxster is alive and well in the Porsche Owner's Club on the west coast. With the demise of the national spec boxster organization we (POC) decided to make some slight modifications to our rule set and have already started the season this year.

Our next race weekend is March 9-11 at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, NV. We welcome all NASA licensed drivers to race or Time Trial with us!

slight modifications are as follows:

Open ECU tuning - Allows for ECU chip/tuning, but must have factory rev limit in place. We did this to eliminate the policing difficulties of the ECU. Currently, I don't know that ANY of the cars have actually tuned their cars yet. We are expecting a difference of maybe 5hp for those that do, and we see that big of a difference in the output of the motors already. Improved air/fuel ratios are an added benefit to reliability. This also includes approval for the removal of the immobilizer system.

91 Octane fuel - Allows the use of 91 octane fuel only. We are on the west coast and it's all we can get at the pump.

Tires - Both square and staggered set-ups are allowed with 255/255 or 235/255 Toyo RA-1 tires.

Last edited by eric523; 02-24-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: tire size mistake...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys (hey Hunt!!!).

you should look into IMG Racing (http://www.imgracing.com). I'm working with them (Charlie Greenhouse of Entropy Racing fame is the go-to guy) this year, and I think these guys, and this series, will really be fun and will take off. you Spec Box guys should email or call Charlie; i'd just about be positive he would bring you, your cars, and your ruleset directly over. our first race is UNMUFFLED at limerock in May (memorial day). we have dates at Beaverrun, NJMP, and Pocono too. if you want a place to play, and have fun, and in an easy going, flexible environment, then you really should give him a ring..

I'm really looking forward to being part of the IMG organization, and racing with them!!!!

Todd
ReidSpeed
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The bottom line is that without a NASA class many guys have no place to run.

So if NASA just ran a more open ruleset (which it already tended to be) then everyone gets to play, the regions will settle in on what is working and then when you get to nationals run what you brung within the overall rules. The cream will rise to the top, and adjust the rules from there.

Otherwise nobody plays at all and we all take our toys and go home.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
The bottom line is that without a NASA class many guys have no place to run.

So if NASA just ran a more open ruleset (which it already tended to be) then everyone gets to play, the regions will settle in on what is working and then when you get to nationals run what you brung within the overall rules. The cream will rise to the top, and adjust the rules from there.

Otherwise nobody plays at all and we all take our toys and go home.
Summed up very well.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In NorCal, Spec Boxster racers run with the PRC run group at NASA events. Usually, we have one run group with GT, Spec 911, 944Spec and SpecBoxsters, but at some events we have enough participants for two run groups. NASA is the sanctioning body, but the various classes run under PRC and applicable spec series rules. The revised PCA rules this year are pretty close to the old NASA BSR rules, so I don't expect any issues. Eric's post was the first I'd heard of allowing ECU mods for the class. That change is going to create some tension and warrants broader discussion. Most of the NorCal guys run at least a couple of PCA Club Races each year, so I doubt that we will adopt POC's approach. The Spec Boxster class is extremely fun and growing. We had 5 - 8 drivers at most events last year, with up to 14 at POC races. We've got three new SPBs joining early in the season and several more expected later in the year. If spec boxster drivers coordinate with each other and show up at NASA events in cars that are prepped to a common set of rules, we will create great racing opportunities for ourselves.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, damn, that is just too bad for the class.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Viking:
That's what I was saying The point of SPB is to have a spec car with set common rules that can race with multiple organizations. If you tried to optimize it for GTS2, the changes would have to be more than just some bolt on aero. Over here, the BMW E36 dominates, with the exception of one guy running a 2.8 in an M3 chassis.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
You have a 996 nose not a boxster nose.
No I don't.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Not to mention that Toyo had a contingency for SPB that is unavailable in PCA. I was looking forward to winning some tires this year. Mostly from Paul

Hey Todd! I'll check out this img thingy!

Quick Reply: NASA SPEC BOXSTER D.O.A.!!!