NASA SPEC BOXSTER D.O.A.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nprichards
Hopefully NASA is just regrouping.

I never understood the PCA model because you have to drive a million miles just to get a hand full of weekends in. I guess it's fine if you are just running a small number of events per year.
Agree 100% on the regroup.

And it's amazing but they,PCA, do get people to drive all over to their races. They did add a points championship this year which should make things interesting.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Agree 100% on the regroup.

And it's amazing but they,PCA, do get people to drive all over to their races. They did add a points championship this year which should make things interesting.
Yea we're blessed in So Cal with 7 quality tracks all within a 4hr haul. Conversely we have Jerry Brown, Nancy Pelosi, and the other morons who run this state. Life's always a trade off....
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Yea we're blessed in So Cal with 7 quality tracks all within a 4hr haul. Conversely we have Jerry Brown, Nancy Pelosi, and the other morons who run this state. Life's always a trade off....
Within 2 hours of Houston, I have TWS, MSR-Houston, within another 2 hours add MSR-Cresson,Eagles Canyon,TMS, Go another 2-3 hours and add Hallett and the 2 more tracks in New Orleans. We don't have it so bad here.
Plus there are a couple lesser small tracks, Harris Hill, Driveway Austin, Grandsport Speedway.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

NASA controls it's own destiny, just take care of our own and the rest will fall in place.

Taking care of our own means having a 986 spec class (if someone has issue with "specbox" call it something else) that meets the general rulesets that members run under with other orgs so we don't have to dump a bunch of money chasing PT or GTS and not having the option of running pca or poc.

So accept square or stagger who cares.
I don't think anyone is running LSDs (even tho I wouldn't mind that one but I am behind the spec concept)

...and move on...

Put the past behind and move on,

Let's race!

I've run 944 spec for the last 4 years an seen som silliness but it all came out in the wash. I sent an email to John, posted on the NASA national site, who else do I need to talk to?!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nprichards
Hopefully NASA is just regrouping. We like running with them out West because they have a lot of events that are close and they have a well run national championship.

I never understood the PCA model because you have to drive a million miles just to get a hand full of weekends in. I guess it's fine if you are just running a small number of events per year.
Our region is mostly social. No racing at all, too bad really, lots of Porsche racecars but no PCA club racing...
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This just in from the NASA forums:

Folks-

Unfortunately we can't just copy someone else's rules and publish them as our own as that would put us in jeopardy of being sued for copyright infringement. In the past, we were operating under license from the creators of the class but they have now shut down so we are kind of stuck. We have seen very small car counts for the class, so we assumed that the class was all but dead since we have only seen single digit car count for the past few years. If any SpecBox drivers want to prepare their cars to PCA rules and run with us in GTS this is completely fine but until we see some real car counts and commitment from some racers we just don't have the time and resources to write our own ruleset.

If you would be interested in such an effort, please e-mail Will Faules at will-at-drivenasa-dot-com and he can work with you.

Thanks and sorry this didn't go as big as we thought it would.

-JWL

John Lindsey
Chief Divisional Director
NASA
Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

^^Well that just seems like there is a HUGE gap in the communication chain. People aren't showing up because we couldn't get an answer from NASA on rules with all the bickering. To run with NASA some folks would have to buy and maintain a second set of tires (remember this is a spec/budget series) and a second set of wheels.

If NASA had agreed add the square set up to the official rules the car counts would have gone up. Chicken and egg here. "We'll change the rules if more people show up but more people won't show up unless we change the rules." This request to officially add the square set up has been asked for thousands of times for the past year. One sentence would have avoided 98% of this mess. The questions were asked and met with silence from NASA time and time again. Hell, it took a MONTH for a response to my post in NASA's own forum.

Let's not forget the economy's role in participation as well.

Not sure why NASA would have thought the series was dead or what copyright issues they run into modifying their own rules.

Love the line about the lack of commitment from us .
Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Interesting.
NASA is a for profit organization, it's in their benefit to make you a happy racer and come to their events. This whole thing got messed up with a few egos and now I think NASA National is in a point where they could "rewrite" some rules and give all the Boxsters another place to play. Sure sounds like win-win to me. So lets all put the egos aside and do whatever it takes to make it work.
I am sure NASA is already working on this in some way to get more cars on track. I know NASA TX is, they were out at our last PCA event promoting and trying to incentive the Boxster guys to trying out NASA to see what it's like.

I'm going to start an interesting new post titled "Spec Boxster Racers", check it out and comment as you think it would help.

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
This just in from the NASA forums:
Originally Posted by Streak
^^Well that just seems like there is a HUGE gap in the communication chain. People aren't showing up because we couldn't get an answer from NASA on rules with all the bickering. To run with NASA some folks would have to buy and maintain a second set of tires (remember this is a spec/budget series) and a second set of wheels.

If NASA had agreed add the square set up to the official rules the car counts would have gone up. Chicken and egg here. "We'll change the rules if more people show up but more people won't show up unless we change the rules." This request to officially add the square set up has been asked for thousands of times for the past year. One sentence would have avoided 98% of this mess. The questions were asked and met with silence from NASA time and time again. Hell, it took a MONTH for a response to my post in NASA's own forum.

Let's not forget the economy's role in participation as well.

Not sure why NASA would have thought the series was dead or what copyright issues they run into modifying their own rules.

Love the line about the lack of commitment from us .
Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

It occurs to me that NASA must have made this decision quite a while ago without telling their customers. I'm assuming that the folks at Toyo and Hoosier start making their contingency rules at the end of the prior season for the next season and SPB is no longer a class that can win Toyo Bucks or Hoosiers. That tells me they knew last year.

That's not right.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Viking:
Over here, the BMW E36 dominates, with the exception of one guy running a 2.8 in an M3 chassis.
Not anymore. He ditched the 2.8 for a more torqey 3.2

Will be interesting to see Paul's SPBOX this year at Summit in GTS2...
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

That's not true, it was a very recent turn of events from my understanding.

It occurs to me that NASA must have made this decision quite a while ago without telling their customers. I'm assuming that the folks at Toyo and Hoosier start making their contingency rules at the end of the prior season for the next season and SPB is no longer a class that can win Toyo Bucks or Hoosiers. That tells me they knew last year.

That's not right.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 AM
getfast
Track Day

Originally Posted by onefastviking
That's not true, it was a very recent turn of events from my understanding.
And mine also, as someone who is on the NASA directors list that first got notice from national on this subject the other day...

Jon
Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

^^ Then why would all the companies offering contingencies have left off SPB before NASA dropped the series?

They had one for us then in January, a month before the series was dropped, the contingencies were dropped?

Something is not adding up.

EDIT - I see the correct version of the 2012 contingency and 986 Boxster is listed.

However, it doesn't mean much if NASA doesn't endorse the series Toyo isn't going to pay out.

Last edited by Streak; 02-25-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Waco Racer
Track Day

However, it doesn't mean much if NASA doesn't endorse the series Toyo isn't going to pay out.
I believe they will, most likely sooner than later.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I can dip into the 1:23s and get clear track you suckas won't be able to catch up.... until I catch a back marker.. Doh!

My 165 ft/lbs of torque doesn't pull off the corner like the bmw does. Magnetic just fell out of his chair laughing at that torque # admit it.

Originally Posted by magnetic1
Not anymore. He ditched the 2.8 for a more torqey 3.2

Will be interesting to see Paul's SPBOX this year at Summit in GTS2...

Quick Reply: NASA SPEC BOXSTER D.O.A.!!!