Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default NASA SPEC BOXSTER D.O.A.!!!

Title says it all...

This blows.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why we need to make your Boxster awesome in PT and GTS.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 AM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kcpaz
That's why we need to make your Boxster awesome in PT and GTS.
amen.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to say but I was worried that this might be coming when NASA wouldn't respond to me about updating the ruleset for RA1s.

I already made a great showing in TTD/PPT around here with my Spec Boxster. GTS2 has much better car count unfortunately and our cars are outgunned on the fast parts of the course. Even though they come in at the tippy top of the Power / Weight scale. Heavier cars with much more torque just sail past on the straight away.

I plan to run my Spec Boxster in a dual config for GTS2/TTD/PTD in NASA while still being able to go back to PCA for SPB. Anybody else in that camp that wants to share info somewhere on how best to make our cars more competitive in the open NASA classes with some easy to reverse changes for when we come back and run in PCA?

In TTD/PTD trim I ran Hoosier R6 245/40/17 all around and added some ballast and set a lap record. I may try a different configuration next.

Last edited by Paul 996; 02-23-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

The end started at the very beginning when NASA hooked up their wagon to the wrong guy with regards to rules and regulation. Meanwhile PCA listened to their members and invested in the series. The outcome could not have been more predictable.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
The end started at the very beginning when NASA hooked up their wagon to the wrong guy with regards to rules and regulation. Meanwhile PCA listened to their members and invested in the series. The outcome could not have been more predictable.
This

One guy submarined all our investments. What a **** off. Cars are built and rules are written. All Nasa had to do was accept our money. Seems like a no brainer.

Who's got the top Nasa guy's email and how many of us can we get to send a note appealing to common sense?

As for GTS2 - we'll get creamed since we can't do suspension or aero.

Who can post a points calculation for PTD because when I do it I can't run Hoos and not get bumped to PTC. I don't want to run Hoos anyway. THAT WAS THE WHOLE FUKN REASON I BOUGHT AN SPB!!!!!!!

Last edited by Streak; 02-23-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

This is a total bummer for the guys who wanted to race close to home and run with both sanctioning bodies. In Mid Atlantic, an SPB set up Boxster can't compete with E36 M3s with aero running GTS-2. GTS-2 E36s have cracked the 2:10 barrier at VIR and have gotten down into the 1:22s at Summit Point. They are tuned for torque as Paul said and well prepared to boot.

Using PTD as the crossover class might be the class to race in.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hunt,

PTD is a slam dunk. But you have a nose that costs you points and the rear bumper mods cost you points. Like I said before, sit down with me and your form and it is a piece of cake to do.

BTW: For GTS2 why can't I do Aero? Only thing stopping me is $$. Depending on how I do in GTS2 out of the gate I will figure out a front aero solution that is as simple as swapping the nose and for the rear it should bolt on either onto a spare decklid or an aftermarket decklid that accepts the uprights (this gets $$ real fast unless you make it all yourself). I think onefast viking has the correct rear wing solution from the pics that I can see.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Where HP /TQ/ Weight is a Spec B for GTS2.. I just ran my M3 at the dyno and made restrictor plates to put me in GTS2.

HP 211 TQ 205 Weight 3125 w/ drover and ballas.

@ Paul. You should be able to do all sorts of Aero.? Thats the beauty of NASA.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Yea that's what sucks, if you keep a spec trim you will get spanked in GTS2, the issue isn't aero I am working on a slide on splitter and cup wing that's easy enough but the car is down on power and no LSD I'd a big limiting factor IMHO...

I'm currently in first place in AZ PTD (running all by myself practically) but in TTD under the same rules there are several D cars that have several seconds on me just due to power and weight advantages.

Hunt, I'm a bit heavy 2725 with drover, so I have the room to take the hit for ho's but I'll need the weight to be competitive. The NT01 is very close to being just as fast and last much longer...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure of the fail here, I'm trying to find out, I'll post up the info I gave after I talk to my reg dir, it sounds like the guys running it quit. Maybe we can pick it up accept PCA's rules and race just like 944Spec. Stupid not to and so frigin simple a caveman could do it...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim,
Where did you see this note? As you know I have not been really following this, but I seem strange that NASA would kill it all together. I will say that I have had to fight at times to keep 944 spec going, but that means I do know what it takes to get the NASA to listen as well. Email me!

On a personal note I think spec boxster is a great idea. It just a little beyond my price point now. Maybe in a few years... So I hate to see it go.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
I'm not sure of the fail here, I'm trying to find out, I'll post up the info I gave after I talk to my reg dir, it sounds like the guys running it quit. Maybe we can pick it up accept PCA's rules and race just like 944Spec. Stupid not to and so frigin simple a caveman could do it...
Originally Posted by M758
Jim,
Where did you see this note? As you know I have not been really following this, but I seem strange that NASA would kill it all together. I will say that I have had to fight at times to keep 944 spec going, but that means I do know what it takes to get the NASA to listen as well. Email me!

On a personal note I think spec boxster is a great idea. It just a little beyond my price point now. Maybe in a few years... So I hate to see it go.
THIS^^

As a race group and dues paying members of Nasa I would think we could enter into a reasonable discourse to get the series recognized.

I can help however is needed.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Joe,

Tage forwarded me an email from national to this effect. I have a hard time believing it can die it's just too easy and popular to drop it. Something smells...

There are a ton of new cars and guys stepping in this season and I hate to see it muddy the waterand scare people/cars away. Changes to run GTS and PTD are expensive and preclude spec. This is lunacy. I know you've seen it all before w/944spec....
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Hunt,

PTD is a slam dunk. But you have a nose that costs you points and the rear bumper mods cost you points. Like I said before, sit down with me and your form and it is a piece of cake to do.

BTW: For GTS2 why can't I do Aero? Only thing stopping me is $$. Depending on how I do in GTS2 out of the gate I will figure out a front aero solution that is as simple as swapping the nose and for the rear it should bolt on either onto a spare decklid or an aftermarket decklid that accepts the uprights (this gets $$ real fast unless you make it all yourself). I think onefast viking has the correct rear wing solution from the pics that I can see.
My nose is stock.

As for GTS2 you can do all the aero you want and spend all the money you want but the PSS9 suspension and no LSD will render you uncompetitive.

The whole point of a Spec series is to not run into a money race. That's why I left GTS2. The other factor in my choice of SPB was that I could run the exact same car from PCA to Nasa. Crossing over from PCA stock to GTS2 was not truly effective against GTS2 built cars. I spent plenty of time and money chasing that rabbit. Crossing over to PTD and back may be equally as much of a pain in the ***.

It just doesn't make any sense that a ready to run series would not be picked up by Nasa and our entry fees put in the bank!

Maybe we start working on SCCA?

Quick Reply: NASA SPEC BOXSTER D.O.A.!!!