Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help request: anyone here have connections with PCNA...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I had a Miata dump coolant on the track in front of me a few months ago. Viking had a Corvette he was instructing in spontaneously burst into flames. 996, Boxster, Cayman, and 997 engines blow and sometimes drop oil. So do E36 engines. And God knows how many 944 Turbos have dumped oil or coolant on the track, had brake failures, or went up in flames. Cars break on the track, and sometimes it's dangerous. Properly maintained cars break less often of course, but cars break down sometimes.
We should ban all Miatas, Corvettes, water cooled Porsches, and Ferraris because they might leak or burn up. Formula Vees should be banned too becuase they don't really hold oil as much as they redistribute it.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very familiar with coolant on track ,
http://youtu.be/5m5hlhcFMko
Old 02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN
Holy! I had a heart attack watching the vid!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 852 Posts

WHOA
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN
WOW

was expecting the first part, but the second part with the BMW was crazy. BMW guy had car control when he most needed it.

joe
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by 4porsh
WOW

was expecting the first part, but the second part with the BMW was crazy. BMW guy had car control when he most needed it.

joe
-------------

.......loss of control in blind fog and slick asphalt....... fishtails onto narrow strip of grass avoiding hard hit into Armco..........regains control in grass to thread needle avoiding head-on into stalled car. Whew!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, all water cooled karts are required to run 100% distiller water.

IMHO, the main issue with antifreeze is after the coolant loss...it is very difficult to remove from the track surface.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
We should ban all Miatas, Corvettes, water cooled Porsches, and Ferraris because they might leak or burn up. Formula Vees should be banned too becuase they don't really hold oil as much as they redistribute it.
Nah they should just have their own run groups.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Litigation is what is ruining a lot of things and I'd prefer not to be part of the problem.

PCNA, if you are reading this, and I am sure someone at PCNA is, please do the following before some lawyers get into you:

This affects every gt1 block engine...water cooled.

1. People that have had it fixed should be re-imbursed (Sharkwerks alone has done a lot of these....).
2. Dealers should cover loaner cars.
3. The coolant fluid, all parts and all labor should be covered.
4. We should just be able to go to a dealer and get it fixed.
5. Going forward these repairs should have a standard repair part warranty.
6. Engines should get a PCNA decal saying they have been fixed...for tech inspections.
7. If no dealer is nearby, there should be an option for independent shops to do the work....

My 2c. Keep in mind, these cars are banned by OVR from MidOhio...so while all is said and good, there is an issue....sarcasm and such aside.
PCNA Legal is laughing right now.

BTW, there is currently a class action on behalf of Cayenne owners to force PCNA to replace coolant tubes, which are plastic and crack.

Wonder how that one is going?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 258 Posts

I heard that PCNA has seen this thread and due to such compelling evidence and horrific stories of such hardship, have offered a settlement offer. They will provide all OVR members free water to allow them to run in DE events. Problem solved, case closed.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dave, the problem is endemic to all GT1 based engines, i.e. all GT3, RS and Turbos. I had mine blow twice on my 996 GT3.

As you know, race rules require water only (with suitable anti corrosion additives). I now use Water/Water-Wetter in my RS.

For some bizarre reason, Porsche GLUES the in and outlet lines on the coolant pump. They are a relatively loose fit, held in only by some kind of glue. Sooner or later the glue lets go and you dump a ton of coolant on the track behind you.

The latest "permanent" antifreeze does not evaporate and has to be cleaned up like a long-long oil spill. Can take an hour easy. Completely stupid design!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Tell that to the two guys whose cars were totaled as a result of the GT3 failure at the Mid-Ohio DE last fall. One was a 997 and the other a 964 Turbo if I recall correctly. I was lucky enough to be the first one through and managed to keep the car going through the gravel trap (because I was going slow and went straight in) and on to a safe spot to watch the carnage unfold. Luckily no one was hurt but when the 997 hit the Turbo, it was probably going 50-60 mph. No less than 5 cars in the gravel trap within seconds.

It's a known problem. Whether or not PCNA should do something or not is irrelevant to me. I'd hate to have my car, with a known issue, be the cause of other innocent compatriots' losses. I'd have it fixed before I took it back on the track.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

At Monaco 2002 (may have been following year), one of my cars had its radiators damaged deliberately by another competitor (sudden braking at the apex - SOP in tight Supercup races). A few laps later we pulled the car as it was overheating and dumping fluid. A very experienced crew crawled all over the car as soon as it got home to Germany and found no damage and everything pressure tight apart from the obvious damage at the front. This was repaired and the car tested.

At the next race at the Nürburgring, the car went through practice (Thursday and Friday) and Qualification and started in the race on Sunday. After about a third of the race we pulled the car with a catastrophic water leak.

One of the glued rubber to metal joints (into or close to the engine block) had failed. The problem only appeared during prolonged running, our run testing and practice sessions had been too short. Porsche took the car back to Wessach and subsequently reported that the wrong grade adhesive had been used, when temperatures dropped the leak evidence disappeared. The racing department seemed on top of the problem.

R+C
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
I heard that PCNA has seen this thread and due to such compelling evidence and horrific stories of such hardship, have offered a settlement offer. They will provide all OVR members free water to allow them to run in DE events. Problem solved, case closed.
I use "Oil Wetter" in my air-cooled cars as my telling everyone it was corrosion protection I was spraying didn't fly...
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hoses can cause the same problem and should be replaced, especially on older cars.

Quick Reply: Help request: anyone here have connections with PCNA...