Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Racing room" not required to be given in PCA club racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011 | 09:55 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by SG_M3
The guy had it right, its a cocktail party that during which a couple of gentlemen decided to drive around a track together.
Funny guy making sweeping uninformed comments ;-) . I think PCA is a really good way to learn how to race clean. At the front of the pack, racing is tight with little room or latitude offered by competitors. Comparing videos of front running battles in PCA, NASA, and SCCA... not that big a difference. It would be great it PCA would allow "rubbing" and "bump drafting" but I imagine how quickly it could go downhill.
Old 06-03-2011 | 10:23 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
Looks like a good pass to me. He did not block your turn in, and you have the responsiblity to use your mirrors. There is a lot worse out there. IMHO
Old 06-03-2011 | 11:30 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 38D
I don't agree this was a dive bomb. It was a faster class car that passed you by braking later as you followed the Boxster. And since the Boxster stayed wide, he got both of you in one spot.
I agree with Colin. That looks like a perfectly reasonable pass to me. I probably would have taken it myself.
Old 06-03-2011 | 11:35 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

I have been PCA club racing since 1996 (have never received a 13/13). Pro racing since 2000. I have raced in Grand-Am, ALMS, SCCA Pro, PCA, HSR, and NASA.

PCA racing for the most part is clean. There are a people that simply are not experienced and do not see faster cars and unintentionally chop people. (As there are in ALL series) There are also a people that use the 13/13 rule as a weapon and will chop almost every pass. I have been the victim of chopping more times than I can remember. I have even been swerved at recently during a PCA race in an attempt of the car being passed to make me lift and keep me behind him. That is not what the 13/13 rule is intended for obviously. I feel the primary reason for this abuse is the idea that someone "owns the corner" The PCA general rule is if you are not ahead at the turn in point then the front car "owns" the corner. I would say 90% of all passes, the passing car's front bumper is never ahead of the car getting passed. If any part of the passing car has gone beyond the plane of the passed car then the passed car needs to give racing room. No one owns a corner. You cannot turn your car into the corner completely oblivious to someone passing you just because he is not completely ahead at the turn in point. This interpretation of who "owns" a corner is giving people the idea that they can do whatever they want and the guy trying to pass them will either back off or hit them and receive a 13.

There is really no difference in a "pro" situation vs a club situation. You still have to co-exist on the track and give each other racing room. In a pro race, if a guy is chopping like several do in PCA then he can expect to get a little "help". I have "helped" guys make up their mind in pro races but only when they persistently block/chop ect.. The race stewards will not issue a penalty if they see the offending car chopping. You simply can't just hit someone to make a pass. They will black flag or penalize heavily for that.

As far as the "dive Bomb" videos posted are concerned, I saw nothing wrong with either pass. The Laguna pass was probably an aggressive move to get by a car that was holding him up. (the vette easily pulled away after a few corners) and the New Jersey pass was a faster class simply going by a slower class and the car getting passed probably didn't see him because he was focused on the car ahead. A "dive bomb" gone bad is when the car bombing cannot make the corner and runs off the track at the exit or can only make the turn by hitting the passed car and using him like a berm.

PCA racing is generally very clean. A few bad apples can spoil to bunch though, but it happens in all series.
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:08 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Coryr, thank you very much for those thoughts. Very helpful.

All, is there any move to modify PCA's rules in this area? When is the deadline to propose changes to the rules?
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:15 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by coryf
There are also a people that use the 13/13 rule as a weapon and will chop almost every pass. I have been the victim of chopping more times than I can remember. I have even been swerved at recently during a PCA race in an attempt of the car being passed to make me lift and keep me behind him. That is not what the 13/13 rule is intended for obviously.
I would think that thr RD's could see that tactic and punish for it. That tactic flys in the face of allowing racing room. How does the club officially reconcile this conflict?
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If any part of the passing car has gone beyond the plane of the passed car then the passed car needs to give racing room. No one owns a corner. You cannot turn your car into the corner completely oblivious to someone passing you just because he is not completely ahead at the turn in point.

This interpretation of who "owns" a corner is giving people the idea that they can do whatever they want and the guy trying to pass them will either back off or hit them and receive a 13.

There is really no difference in a "pro" situation vs a club situation. You still have to co-exist on the track and give each other racing room. A few bad apples can spoil to bunch though, but it happens in all series.
Excellent post. Thanks, Cory.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-03-2011 | 12:19 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

PCA racing is generally very clean. A few bad apples can spoil to bunch though, but it happens in all series.
true dat!

How about this one?:

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv...?v=M_GsDHwT9MA
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Linky no worky, Frank.
Old 06-03-2011 | 01:00 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

What's also interesting in NASA racing room is defined as at least 3/4 of a cars width, providing there is no wall or obstruction. So you can legitimately force a car off the pavement and still meet the CCRs. A chop isn't a chop if the passing car is ahead enough, still alongside and you still have 3/4 width even if you're two wheels off. Not saying it's good driving but something to be aware of...
Old 06-03-2011 | 01:13 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Old 06-03-2011 | 01:13 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

That is interesting...I willl have to re-read to CCR. When we race under NASA sanction our guidelines for racing are in effect and we have our own steward
Old 06-03-2011 | 01:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Still doesn't work.
Old 06-03-2011 | 02:11 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Working for me

Somethig is abbreviating it, screw it; only gonna start another argument anyway...

Last edited by gums; 06-03-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2011 | 03:27 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Try this
http://v=

Quick Reply: "Racing room" not required to be given in PCA club racing?