Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
congrats to our own Matt Romanowski for his article on data acquisition in this week's Speed Secrets newsletter

Thanks! I was honored to be a part of it and be included with the other contributors. I'm working on some more stuff for future issues too.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Tell Ross I just subscribed - thanks to Guy's post and your inclusion as a contributor.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

congrats to our own Matt Romanowski for his article on data acquisition in this week's Speed Secrets newsletter

+1!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 AM
KJM9
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This pushed me to subscribe. Congratulations! I look forward to reading Matt's article
Old 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM
TonyGTS
Track Day

As my corner entry speed has gradually increased, when trail braking into some corners, I've experienced oversteer. In response, I countersteer and apply gentle throttle, but without the desired outcome. The car is a 2011 Carrera GTS. I track it in the Sport Plus mode and have NOT disabled the traction and stability controls. My sense is that I'm not getting much throttle response. Do you think the safety aids are applying braking and also disabling the throttle? I didn't have data acquisition to confirm or refute what I think is happening, but I have Traqmate now. Given the limited information I've provided, any suggestions how to learn to properly drive those turns? Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyGTS
When trail braking into a corner, I've experienced oversteer. In response, I countersteer and apply gentle throttle, but without the desired outcome.
What was your desired outcome?

The car is a 2011 Carrera GTS. I track it in the Sport Plus mode and do NOT disable the traction and stability controls. My sense is that I'm not getting much throttle response. Do you think the safety aids may be disabling the throttle? I don't have data acquisition to confirm or refute what I think is happening.
I was amazed by what those nannys are capable of when I instructed in a '12 Turbo S a week or so ago. My student overcooked the entrance into Big Bend at Limerock on the inside line after a late pass, ignored my "loud advice" to use all the curbing, and turned it into a 90 degree turn at 70 MPH. The result? The *** came around about 30 degrees, then just "stopped" and the car moved on like there was a soft wall that it was up against. I told him a few minutes later, when we came in to discuss, that i would STILL be spinning in my car and to thank the Porsche computer programmers for driving the car for him. At the end of the day I checked his brake pads for him, fronts were 80%, rears were 10%. Says it all...
Old 09-23-2013, 03:30 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

As my corner entry speed has gradually increased, when trail braking into some corners, I've experienced oversteer. In response, I countersteer and apply gentle throttle, but without the desired outcome. The car is a 2011 Carrera GTS. I track it in the Sport Plus mode and have NOT disabled the traction and stability controls. My sense is that I'm not getting much throttle response. Do you think the safety aids are applying braking and also disabling the throttle? I didn't have data acquisition to confirm or refute what I think is happening, but I have Traqmate now. Given the limited information I've provided, any suggestions how to learn to properly drive those turns? Thanks
Yes, and to be frank, you should irrefutably know that. If you’re not sure than you’re not in touch with the car and should leave it on until such time that you are sure. Work up to the speed and don't rely on the car to save you.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:26 PM
TonyGTS
Track Day

Gary R.,

To correct the rotation prior to the stability control kicking in.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

This is from autox, but it is a good show of what tire temps do when you are driving. There is some really good warm up lap info in there if you look (sorta) hard http://thinkfastengineering.com/2012/08/solo-heat/
Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Try braking slightly sooner and slightly softer, but still trail braking.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:22 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Try braking slightly sooner and slightly softer, but still trail braking.
I found that when driving a PSM/PASM equipped car you had to manage the friction circle, and all your inputs, within the TC's "oh crap" algorithm. otherwise it would start making inputs for you

smooth inputs, especially when trail braking, were the key.

off topic: I saw you Saturday at COTA during the pre-race grid walk but couldn't fight my way through the crowd to say hello.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Aha!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 PM
TonyGTS
Track Day

Is it true that for a 2011 997, PSM in Sport Plus mode does allow for some oversteer before intervening? So leaving traction and stability ON is safe, but also allows driver to gain feel of the car sliding and to develop the proper response.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I believe so, yes.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:24 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it true that for a 2011 997, PSM in Sport Plus mode does allow for some oversteer before intervening? So leaving traction and stability ON is safe, but also allows driver to gain feel of the car sliding and to develop the proper response.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I believe so, yes.
my '06 997.1 would allow for some oversteer in sport plus and quite a bit with PSM turned off...but even when it's "off", it will still intervene if you get too crazy.

I'd suggest you not test that out in turns 11 and 12 at Barber...ask me how I know

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH