Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ yes, thanks VR - agreed, I noticed that.
Left hand side isn't my fastest, just a typical lap.
The right side 1.17.3 is .7 better than any previous lap I've done ...
And on old rubber (HC 12-14) ...
So I'm trying to identify/clarify what worked so much better than what I typically do
Old 11-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Not sure, but do not underestimate the elapsed time effects of subtly backing off in a couple of corners due to traffic. A couple of tenths here and there, and presto! 0.7 sec behind!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bench march for braking

Ok so last week I sat in on Peter's trackmate lesson. Peter you said that as a goal we should be able to brake at about 90% of our sustainable lat g load? I seem to be able to hold about 1.2 lat g and most times can only brake about .85 g before locking up the front tires. I have a manual brake bias with it set all the way to the rear side adjustment. the car is a 90 carrera with 993 big reds up front and the original 4pot cailpers in the back. Same set up Kai runs and running pagid yellows F pagid black R. 235 front tire 275 rear tire Nitto nt01 rcomp) compresion on damper set 3 click off full stiff front and full stiff rear 600lbf 800lbr spring rear anti roll set full stiff front set in the middle . Is the car set up wrong or what am i doing wrong? in certain spots like up hill brake zone etc i can brake at about 1.1 g before wanting to flat spot my tire. With that said I i am turning low 1:42s at laguna seca consistently with a big microphone avoidence muffler hanging off the back of the car 90db days .. will try to get screen shot of the data that I am learning to use thanks to Peter!!

Sorry for long ramble I am just hoping to learn how to brake later harder as Peter suggest but I seem to upset the car if I try that and tend lock up fronts that way
Old 11-28-2013, 09:44 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your bias lever is set to full to the rear?

Or full to the front?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:08 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Your bias lever is set to full to the rear?

Or full to the front?
Add before I run out.

With that brake setup, without the bias adjustment, or with it set to full bias to the rear, you are VERY biased to the rear. Way too much so actually and you would be swapping ends often.

I wonder if you don't have too much front bias in and therefore are not taking full advantage of the setup you have.

(I vary btw. mid setting and one click more front bias depending on the track and still carry a LOT of rear bias)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

The car should not get in your way of trying to brake at maximum retardation.

Test this in a straight, level section of the track without anyone behind you and not entering a corner. This is just a test to generate braking force data.

First, squeeze on the brakes to eliminate the possibility that you are inadvertently slamming on the brakes. Then, push harder until the fronts begin to lock or the rear gets loosy-goosy underneath you. Squeeze gently enough to modulate, or come back off the brake, to NOT lock up, but be on the threshold of doing so.

Methinks the car is not right... But you need to test.

Under no circumstances, in a straight line and on level ground, should your car NOT be able to generate -.95 to -1.0 g...

The 911 is one of the finest platforms for powerful braking there is. Period. Even if you choose not to use all of the capability, you need to know that it is there. And it should be.

I have driven many street cars that were unmodified that stop better than modded street cars or race cars...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-28-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoelife
Ok so last week I sat in on Peter's trackmate lesson. Peter you said that as a goal we should be able to brake at about 90% of our sustainable lat g load? I seem to be able to hold about 1.2 lat g and most times can only brake about .85 g before locking up the front tires.

I have a manual brake bias with it set all the way to the rear side adjustment.
So you're locking the inside front in hard braking hard G corners?

Please explain the part in bold: "rear side adjustment"???
Old 11-28-2013, 12:05 PM
tahoelife
Racer

thank you all that have responded. Kai and VR the brake bias adjuster is set to put more brake to the rear and it is not squirmy at the rear at all. At Peter thank you for the testing idea our season just finished this week so will most like not be back on track until FEB but have local air strip I can try to go do the test on? So sounds like I need more data for now I will work on obtaining that. If I can figure out how to screen shot a lap from Laguna last week I will put that up. You guys are all the best Happy Thanks Giving
Old 11-28-2013, 01:53 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Ok so let the teaching begin. here is the data from Laguna Seca last week. Here is my thoughts going into 2 it is down hill and slight direction change making inside front want to lock easier, the "soft brake" areas are were I need help most of these spot I am trying to set the nose for turn in in med speed corners. Is this where I should be braking later and harder? I also know I am "double braking" for turn 8 I am to scared and not sure I could make it if I waited until after the crest going into it (car light) the rest of the harder brake zones I seem to be stuck around .85 going into 11 I seem to get to .9 .. I am ready to learn and hoping to sort out if I need to work on my braking system on the car along with how I can do better over the winter break again all of you that contribute are amazing and I am very thankful

Old 11-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

What level of experience do you have in your driving career? You are a little peaky in your braking - you build pressure pretty well, but get off them pretty quick instead of trailing off nicely.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:22 PM
tahoelife
Racer

@ Matt I have only done 2.5 years of DE/TT with local PCA and a few extra days probably 17 days a year? for a total of maybe 40 days on track with only 4-5 20 min sessions a day.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:26 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of my **** driving and inability to break out of my rut. I took Peter's TM webinar. Very good job, Peter. Thanks. Now I am trying to learn how to use the software and what it means. I bought Chris Brown's book about Squiggly Lines. (Peter's recommended reading list) Now I'm really depressed.
I hope the optimism I left the seminar with regarding the likelihood of finding a patch to improvement is more than a dream.

Reading the TM manual, it says that each segment will be color coded and show up in the Graphs. It notes "Highlight". I guess I'm not doing the Highlight part since they don't show up in mine. What is the trick? I see them in tahoelife's.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 09:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Randy. under Setup for the run you want to look at, click Track Map on the top left of the dialog box. When the Track Map shows up, resize it to where you want it on the screen and click "Segment Tools" to open the dialog box and place the segment markers on the map. I usually click Auto Create Segments, then move them to track out points from each corner. THEN, the colored markers will be shown on the map and on your graph.

If you want to email me a file, I'd be glad to take a look. (offer good for webinar attendees only)

Don't let "analysis paralysis" get to you! I'll give you two or three things to work on.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Randy. under Setup for the run you want to look at, click Track Map on the top left of the dialog box. When the Track Map shows up, resize it to where you want it on the screen and click "Segment Tools" to open the dialog box and place the segment markers on the map. I usually click Auto Create Segments, then move them to track out points from each corner. THEN, the colored markers will be shown on the map and on your graph.

If you want to email me a file, I'd be glad to take a look. (offer good for webinar attendees only)

Don't let "analysis paralysis" get to you! I'll give you two or three things to work on.
I created the Segments manually. Driving the Dot to where the Acel changed to Decel and the Decel to Acel. That is not the same as 'Create Segments'?

I will search through my files tomorrow for a Rd Atl file to send. I will digest what you suggest, finish the book, develop a basic understanding of DATA, then we will dig in deeper together. I will have to ask some questions here to get the basics right.

Thanks, Peter.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Hey, I attended the webinar (I try to never miss an opportunity)

Do you still have the file I sent you on the day of? If yes, I'd love to get "two or three things to work on".

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH