Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 AM
masterianvii
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attend my local autocross when I can, but it only allows me to do 5 minutes of driving. Yes, I do learn quite a bit, but still not enough time. While I think my home simulator is awesome, it doesn't quite convey the real feel of g-forces and when the tires start to slip. I guess I should make friends with people who have a privately owned parking lot.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by masterianvii
Great thread. Apologies in advance if this has been asked before, and if it has been answered already, feel free to point me to the right post.

How does one practice car control, and how does one do it legally? More specifically throwing a car into a spin on a wet surface and catching it. While at some driving schools there are skid pad events, the allotted time is often not enough to really hone your skills. I have never seen this, but is it possible to rent a skid pad at a race track? While practicing on an empty heavily rained on/snow covered parking lot sounds like a great and affordable idea, it certainly isn't legal. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
I will run a session or two on track with tires that are well past their useful life, maybe even corded. You can learn control this way, though it teaches bad habits otherwise as you compensate for the lack of grip. As a result I only do this every few months and focus just on the understeer/oversteer control issues.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I am a big fan of wet skidpads and/or wet abandoned parking lots. And areas where it snows make this a big bonus. IMO, throwiing the car into a spin is useless. Getting a car to the very edge of adhesion, and then gradually taking it beyond...and bringing it back...is MUCH more valuable and relevant to driving fast.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:23 PM
willk47
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very informative thread. Could you address what to do in various emergency situations on the track? I was thinking about steps to take if your brakes go out, what to do if the accelerator sticks, what to do if you drop 2 wheels off? And any other situations you feel should be addressed. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Emergency situations are a bit circumstantial, and it is tough to train the correct response to any situation. A driver that is comfortable, in-control, and is highly situationally aware will respond most favorably (on average). Those are factors that you can control and train.
In driving (as with many other things) quick reflexes are a result of anticipation. If your brakes have been gradually getting softer, than you should be anticipating them letting go. You'll see top drivers tapping the brake with left foot on straights to confirm the pedal is firm. If they don't like what they feel, they have plenty of time to deal with it (pump the pedal, coast, downshift, whatever is necessary) compared to a driver who waits until the 1 brake marker goes by.

A driver will realize the throttle is sticking typically when they attempt to brake and the car doesn't slow. Kill the ignition and/or main power. A driver should be able to kill the car instinctively, as that is necessary in many emergency situations, including fire.

2-wheels-off can lead to an unlimited number of things, and typically it is inconsequential. You should know just past apex if you will or could drop 2 wheels. If it is a safe area (paved run-off, level grass), keep rocking, but if it not safe, then correct early. Again, it is anticipation that will save you more often than reaction. If you don't "see it coming" early, then you are driving beyond your abilities, and you need to back off.
Only push out of your comfort zone in safer areas. Expand your comfort zone slowly. Always be "ahead" of the car. Anticipation beats reaction every time. Always save some of your concentration for situation awareness; going a few tenths slower is certainly NOT the worst thing that can happen on a racetrack!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Verfy nicely said, Adam.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Indeed. Adam nailed it.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Join the "SAFE is FAST" website, run by the RRDC and funded by the FIA and take a look at the video they have produced talking to Patrick Long and others about learning new tracks. It's great!
Do you have one for Road Atlanta ? Their Track map is more for spectators than drivers. I actually printed out zoomed shots of each turn from Google Earth to start looking at my lines and finding markers.

Last edited by cannon1000; 08-03-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: sperring errers
Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just beat my best time at RA by over 4 seconds this weekend at Chin event. My new PR is 1:41.11. I know for some of you speed demons that is slow...but this is a mostly stock 996 turbo (tiptronic). She's a big girl and the tip is not very track friendly. I know I have some time left out there due to my own sense of self preservation (like T12). Trying to think of bits and pieces of advice on here and apply them a little at a time to widdle away at the times.

I changed to R6's and the feedback they give is amazing...now that I am reading "Go Faster" all those references to sliding and max tire grip make more sense.

For anyone who cares to look - just one lap:
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Not bad!!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Ross_Bentley
Intermediate

Fourth, consider starting your turn in way earlier than you think. That does NOT necessarily mean early apex. But begin the steering input earlier & much more gradually, and you will be rewarded with a car that takes a set muuch easier & carries a whole lot more mid corner speed.
Great discussion! To me, the key to being able to make the earlier turn-in work is the timing and rate of release of the brake pedal. If you get this right, the car will rotate without turning the steering as much; if you get this right, you will turn in slightly earlier (allowing more corner entry speed because it's not as sharp a turn) and yet still get to the same late apex that you would have had with a later turn-in. Think about it - the timing and rate of release of the brake.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross_Bentley
Great discussion! To me, the key to being able to make the earlier turn-in work is the timing and rate of release of the brake pedal. If you get this right, the car will rotate without turning the steering as much; if you get this right, you will turn in slightly earlier (allowing more corner entry speed because it's not as sharp a turn) and yet still get to the same late apex that you would have had with a later turn-in. Think about it - the timing and rate of release of the brake.
good to see you here Ross!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,789 Posts

Great discussion!

Think about it - the timing and rate of release of the brake.
Bingo. Thanks, Ross.

The "top of the table" topography of Turn 1 at VIR is a great place to work this into all y'all's repertoire! As a matter of fact, Turn 1 at Road Atlanta, Big Bend at Lime Rock, The Keyhole and Carousel at Mid-Ohio, Turn 5 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Turn 1 at Road America... The list goes on and on.

The reason why most folks never get to feel this is because with a majority of brake application being premature, by necessity the brake release is premature. The choreographed juxtaposition that Ross encourages seeking never is able to occur, too much separation...

That gap, that distance between brake release and turning the car is what must be reduced and in doing that, unlocks the secret for many to find a great deal of time. Once you do it, feel it, trust it, it becomes second nature.

I use the Combinded G trace or colored maps with g's displayed to help establish and "grade" this.

Again, thanks Ross. Welcome!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

I probably spend what seems like 50% of my time focusing on braking. If I take a student out for a ride, one thing I keep asking is "You know I braked hard, but could you tell when I actually got OFF the brake?".. You can explain only so much, but feeling it makes it clear.

I think Ross quoted Jackie Stewart (or Clark?) in one of his books saying something to the effect of "I didn't really start winning until I really learned how to brake". That stuck with me and I use that quote.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Agreed. And welcome!

Originally Posted by dan212
I probably spend what seems like 50% of my time focusing on braking. If I take a student out for a ride, one thing I keep asking is "You know I braked hard, but could you tell when I actually got OFF the brake?".. You can explain only so much, but feeling it makes it clear.

I think Ross quoted Jackie Stewart (or Clark?) in one of his books saying something to the effect of "I didn't really start winning until I really learned how to brake". That stuck with me and I use that quote.
Even Randy Pobst has indicated so many times how much more important it is how you release the brakes than how you apply them...

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH