Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
With so little track time, don't worry so much about learning new tracks. If possible, I'd stick with the 2 tracks you know until you're much more comfortable there. Once you're comfortable with your car and driving skills, it's 10000x easier to learn new tracks -- trust me, I went through the same thing.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying avoid new tracks or you won't be able to figure them out.. I'm just saying it'll take so much of your focus that should be spent on the fundamentals, you're going to get easily frustrated.

Does your 996 have a passenger seat? If not, make sure to get one put in there. Have an instructor ride with you early in the day/weekend (even at tracks you know) to help you remember and reinforce what you need to do.

Lastly, with such little track time, don't worry about the lap times so much. I'm not one of those guys who thinks lap times don't matter when you're starting out, I think everyone from their 2nd day on track until their last day on track should always have lap times. But, they're just a measuring stick for a given day in a given car for a given driver in some very specific condition. Don't drive to the lap time, let it come to you.

It sounds like you're doing everything rite for someone who wants to get better (track car early + pro coaching), so keep it up and don't get to caught up in lap times or learning new tracks yet -- there will be plenty of time for both of those after a little more seat time. :-)

ps: to actually answer your question, get iRacing and a seat/steering wheel off amazon. best way to learn a new track in the history of man kind. then study some in-car videos on youtube every night for 7 nights before you go to bed leading up to your first day at the track. your brain will continue to process the video in your sleep if it's the last thing you do each day.

-mike
Mike,

My plan all along was to only focus on 2-3 tracks this year (not to mention there isn't a track on every corner LOL). I'm pretty comfortable at VIR and have also been able to compare some video to see where I can be a bit quicker. I figured I'd try to spend some time at thunderbolt and WG as they're somewhat close to me. So, really it will be 2 tracks to try to learn this year or at least get comfortable.

As far as a right seat - there is one in the car and I'll be working with Aaron a lot this summer. I think you mentioned in another thread that you've worked with him as well?

I agree that trying to learn a new track while also learning the driving skills is difficult. Aaron has told me many times the CPU in my head can only process so many things at once LOL. I think the plan he and I have laid out is a good one.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

You are in Long Island and you don't mention Limerock or NJMP (Thunderbolt and Lightning), or did I miss that?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You are in Long Island and you don't mention Limerock or NJMP (Thunderbolt and Lightning), or did I miss that?
You missed it Gary I mentioned Thunderbolt above.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
How do you guys go about it first time on a new track?

I'm supposed to go the Glen this weekend and while i'm excited to go there, i'm also dreading it, knowing how frustrating it's going to be and how long it's going to take to learn it.

Any advice from the experts would be appreciated!
Join the "SAFE is FAST" website, run by the RRDC and funded by the FIA and take a look at the video they have produced talking to Patrick Long and others about learning new tracks. It's great!

I use a more scientific approach. Most tracks have planimetric maps, elevation, camber, length of straights, lengths of corners, radius of corners available on their site. The best coaches have ALL that at their finger tips. You can grade corners in advance that way and get an idea of where the track is and is not straightforward.

I walk every track I go to, even the ones I've been running at for nearly thirty years, to make sure I know what's coming. I use iRacing religiously, ALL the time, to build "muscle memory." I use the entire width of the road to make sure I draw the best possible arc through the corner(s). I go easy enough early on to be able to use MORE CPU cycles to catalog every marker that can be helpful to me.

Relax and have fun, Aaron's a great resource and you've done it right, so far.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

+1 on walking the track....or even riding a bicycle.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1 on walking the track....or even riding a bicycle.
Just depends on the track, they all have different protocols. A long relationship with some of the track managers has helped me get on circuits that are tough to do that on, but many are relaxed about walkers. Only place I couldn't walk was Laguna Seca...

In Europe, Oz, NZ and the UK, they'll let you walk with cars on course...

j/k...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yup. I actually did get to walk Laguna a number of years ago, a buddy who lives very close to the track (across the highway) knew one of the track management, and presto.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Join the "SAFE is FAST" website, run by the RRDC and funded by the FIA and take a look at the video they have produced talking to Patrick Long and others about learning new tracks. It's great!
good video, thanks Peter!

http://safeisfast.com/sections/6-adv...ng-a-new-track
Old 04-25-2012, 06:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup. I actually did get to walk Laguna a number of years ago, a buddy who lives very close to the track (across the highway) knew one of the track management, and presto.
Not sure that would fly the week of the Historics!

I asked Gill Campbell and it didn't work... Must not have your juice!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LOL no doubt.

I have zero juice. But my buddy does.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Just found this thread,... AWESOME! Been a great read through the first few pages.

Veloce Raptor - PM sent.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Glad you're enjoying it!

PM back to you...
Old 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
New students have no business turning these systems off in my opinion. After they are signed off to solo they can experiment on there own or continue to work with an instuctor on mastering the skill they need to have (the smarter choice) to allow them to operate without these systems.

If they are green and my *** is on the line in the seat next to them, PSM stays on and that's not just my policy, many PCA regions instruct novice students to keep PSM on.
I just completed my first DE last weekend (at PPIR). With my instructor's blessing, we ran all weekend with PSM off. My focus was on driving the right lines, being smooth with the brake and throttle, and improving speed around the track (but with no focus on mph). It was a successful approach, and I feel like I learned more about the intersection of the car's ability and mine.

Once, coming out of T4 I was too hot on the throttle and the back started to come around (that is a relatively "safe" place to lose it). I saved it without leaving the track or getting completely turned around, and went right back to work.

I found that experience to be invaluable, as it gave me real world feedback on adhesion, friction and the like. With PSM on, I don't think that happens, and I don't learn.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
I found that experience to be invaluable, as it gave me real world feedback on adhesion, friction and the like. With PSM on, I don't think that happens, and I don't learn.
Good for you! The right choice, obviously. I'm not anti-PSM, but I'm pro learning!

I believe the "loose nut behind the wheel" is the best indicator of success or failure. While PSM is great, it gets in the way of some of the most basic skill drills I do with folks. I believe it's possible to start gently and add speed slowly enough to keep from having an accident without the PSM on. Just my .02
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Good for you! The right choice, obviously. I'm not anti-PSM, but I'm pro learning!

I believe the "loose nut behind the wheel" is the best indicator of success or failure. While PSM is great, it gets in the way of some of the most basic skill drills I do with folks. I believe it's possible to start gently and add speed slowly enough to keep from having an accident without the PSM on. Just my .02
No kidding. I am, as I suspect a lot of folks on RL are, a pretty type A personality with a reasonable ego. My approach going into the DE is sort of the same approach I have with golf ("Steve - you are not Tiger Woods - stay within your own game..."). I appreciate doing something that humbles me (for lack of a better word) because far too often I am blowing smoke up my own ****.

Quick question as it relates to speed and the mental aspects of track driving..

PPIR T1/T2 are intimidating high banked turns with a giant wall. I don't think I exceeded more than 115 going through there all weekend. I knew the car could handle a higher rate of speed, but mentally I could not get myself there. I know it is a matter of lots of seat time and track experience that will result in faster times (and I will be getting lots of that); however, I feel like I want someone to just tell me that with running a proper line, etc. the limit is X (I don't want to hit that limit). Will those questions go away as I get more experience? As HP driving becomes more second nature?

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH