Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:04 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I sometimes am Bob, but it's usually pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of track etiquette questions (hopefully this is on topic):

First, if one finds oneself behind a slower car, and is then caught up by a faster car (so the order is slow - medium - fast), should the driver in the middle point the fastest car by first, or should the passing always happen serially?

Second, when behind a fast-car-slow-driver that doesn't give point by's in the corners and is faster in the straights, how do you deal with the situation? See the following video. I thought about finding him in the paddock, or talking to the event organizers, but I don't want to be THAT guy. Any suggestions?

http://youtu.be/gIvnO_Kbz48
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Talk to the event organizer...
Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 344 Posts

Jesus, I'm worried if i think i'm holding someone up for a SECOND. This guy seriously needs a smack in the head.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

This thread is truly a great resource for drivers of all levels. I have only been doing DE events for a year however I do have a few observations. The instructor corps I have dealt with in Texas through LSR and MAV are first class and I have always felt that they had my individual best interests at heart. I have also driven in Peach State and Mid Ohio and found both groups very interested in making me feel welcome and making sure I was comfortable with their individual tracks. So I would strongly dispute the comments earlier in this blog to the contrary.

I would however think that one item that might make this eaiser would be the introduction of an official logbook. I have one for flight school, diving, off shore boats, etc and they are invaluable to me on many different levels. Knowing what to write down may seem easy to those who are more experienced however for the green and blue group there is no knowledge of what they should be doing. This would also make it eaiser for instructors to see what skills an individual has already attained.

There is a further good though that comes from this and that is simply learning a system, insuring that the variables are consistent, and off track review time of what you have done in the past is often considered the best leering experience. The Pre flight done on aircraft is often attributed to saving pilot lives as it is structured and forced to be done each time. Frankly the stresses of performance driving exceed those of flight we need logbooks.

The post where VR noticed the cracks in his wheel could have created a very serious issue on the track, however the time to learn this detailed inspection or Pre and post flight is in the beginning not after years of experience.

So my suggestion would be the creation of an official logbook for drivers issued on their first DE an required at all times after that. The fact that they are filled in alone would tend to indicate the nature of the student. And frankly it would be eaiser on the student as well as they will have a guidebook wnd people like structure in general.

My only other observation is to say thanks to all who have taken the
time to contribute to this forum, it is an invaluable resource for drivers at all stages. I have read it from cover to cover and hope that the moderator will allow for the creation of a first post again with links to the various subjects discuss in here.

Finally my question is simply seeking input on proper driving the GT2. I recently purchased a 2002 with very low mileage that was built up by GMG and now that I own it we are further enhancing the suspension at Perfromance Speed Tech at Cresson.

Any help on how to enter and exit turns, issues to avoid, and areas that this car differs from the standard 911 in Handling wound be greatly apreciated.

I of course know it has much more torque and that it has even greater stability issues with the rear of the car wanting to win the race, but how to properly address these is my Concern, as is learning to safely drive the car on the track.

Any advice would be apreciated, I am doing testing on Friday of this week at MSR and then will be attending a DE at TWS this weekend.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

One thing to think about with the kind of power & torque of a modded GT2 is that you will usually want to be in one higher gear than you think on track... Gentle trail braking and a smooth roll onto power also help keep the back end behind you while still coming out of corners like a lion...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Thanks I'll do that this week, at TWS we will be running CW some was thinking of staying low into 15 to avoid the steep transition. I can see where the higher gear will really help on 7,6-5, and 2-1. Hope we can hook up for some coaching in the next few months, I know your fall schedule is very full but.....
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I would love to as well, as we discussed.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

All of the regions in Zone 1 have log books for students. I just put one together for Zone 1 this year as well. While not mandatory, they are highly encouraged and almost everyone uses one. If you want, shoot me an email at matt@trailbrake.net and I can forward a logbook to you.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

To-may-to, To-mah-to...

I started off with a formatted log book, but soon came to find it too limiting due to the small note-bloc/box, and the fact that I often had to use two or three days worth of pages to write the comments for an event.

I now use a bound note book and use it as a track diary.

Agree however that a standard log book is helpful for the new student.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I'm looking at Data Aquizition equipment as its clear from this forum and what I have read elsewhere that without data I'm just driving in fast circles.

Some advice Traqmate, video Vbox, Race Keeper. Which will provide the most accurate data in an easy to use format widely understood by the coaches.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

AiM Solo and SmartyCam every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

AIM + video is good. So also is Traqmate + video, and there are a lot of folks with a lot of Traqmate files for you to compare data with. Also, I really like Racekeeper for ease of use on the fly. The video is not quite as good as the others, but the ability to maniipulate data & video simultaneously is pretty damned good.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
willk47
Advanced

I recently purchased a used set of motons. I was wondering if I could get some advise about fine tuning. Is there ever a time when you would want the rear to be less stiff or equal to front? When would you want rebound to be equal or less than compression? I have taken it to a couple of tracks so far. On a very smooth and new track I had it at 4,5 (compression, rebound) rear and 3,4 (comp, reb). It felt like it squatted nicely in the turns. Might have had a slight tendency to rotate if I got on power to soon. Moton club sports go from 0 to 6 (max stiff). This is on a 04 gt3 with a 4.0 ring and pinion, lw flywheel, guards diff. Any good reads out there that address dialing it in? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by willk47
I recently purchased a used set of motons. I was wondering if I could get some advise about fine tuning. Is there ever a time when you would want the rear to be less stiff or equal to front? When would you want rebound to be equal or less than compression? I have taken it to a couple of tracks so far. On a very smooth and new track I had it at 4,5 (compression, rebound) rear and 3,4 (comp, reb). It felt like it squatted nicely in the turns. Might have had a slight tendency to rotate if I got on power to soon. Moton club sports go from 0 to 6 (max stiff). This is on a 04 gt3 with a 4.0 ring and pinion, lw flywheel, guards diff. Any good reads out there that address dialing it in? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
There is no magic bullet, sadly. Search here and on the interweb, learn what you can learn, and then go drive. And drive again, and again.

Keep notes. Drive consistantly (this is difficult at the edge, which is where we are trying to dial in performance). You'll find a base setup which works for you, in your car, at your home track ... and then you'll want to stick with it.

Often, I find folks get caught up in screwing knobbies around and loose touch with their car. Drive what you brung until you are driving within a few tenths a lap, each and every lap...and then make minor changes from your baseline.

What feels good, what feels comfortable - well, it's often slow.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH