Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:48 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
To slow entry into T1. Ideal min speed is 55mph or better min speed. You need to roll it into T1 (bend the car) and deal with it on exit (more mid corner speed). Open the wheel more and drive hard out of the corner. There is a small patch of dirt at T2 exit off the track on the left side of T2 and you should hit it.
Thanks for your responses, but I need more clarification.

55 is a good target for T1, but I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by "roll it into T1 (bend the car)". I can't just go faster on the line I'm on... at the point where I'm at my slowest (47 mph), I'm doing a steady 1.25g's. I can't just ask the tires to hit 1.7g's so I can hit 55 mph.

Rough rule of thumb:

When two turns are connected by a very short straight (or none as in Summit T1-T2, T5-T6) always work on flattening the trough (speed vs distance graph) and maintaining a more constant speed. Earlier entry, larger radius is the best place to start. Entering faster is not going to do it if you keep the same angle of attack. Open up the corner a bit more, less throttle induced understeer.
Is this what you are telling me to do differently for T1: earlier turn in, less steering input, larger radius, more speed through 1 and into 2?

Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:13 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
RS2 should have the time compare on the bottom as well. That will tell you a lot of where each one is quicker/slower.
Good call! Of the 4/100ths that the TBL sector was faster, 8 of the 4 came under braking!

Well, I learned a lot from this exercise (use the time compare in RS2 and the brakes in the car!) and appreciate the input!
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this what you are telling me to do differently for T1: earlier turn in, less steering input, larger radius, more speed through 1 and into 2?

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Yes, practice not pinching and avoid a late apex into T1, extend the entry into T1 and open the wheel more cutting across the apex . Larger radius, higher mid corner speed for the same grip level. Trick is to use all 4 tires and not go to an early hard throttle. Your car is pretty even balanced so some maintenance throttle is required. If you hit it correctly it will not be possible to go hard throttle unit you are able to open the wheel again.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Yup, Bob is spot-on
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering if I should be able to get on the power earlier and harder.

At 03:10, coming out of the long left, the car felt really quick and the GT3 behind me said I pulled out several car lengths. However looking back I think I added power just to calm the rear. Anyway throughout I feel that I'm very late on the power in general... thoughts?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:02 AM
teamking
Pro

Yes, practice not pinching and avoid a late apex into T1, extend the entry into T1 and open the wheel more cutting across the apex . Larger radius, higher mid corner speed for the same grip level. Trick is to use all 4 tires and not go to an early hard throttle. Your car is pretty even balanced so some maintenance throttle is required. If you hit it correctly it will not be possible to go hard throttle unit you are able to open the wheel again.
Very helpful! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

VR, Trak, TrailbrakMat and other coaches at large - would you mind commenting on vid w/o data?

I keep having this problem ... Likely just cos I'm a bit cautious ... Quali well ie well into the class above, then too tentative into the first corner, lose 6 places!
Gives me some fun catching back up tho lol but costs time and means overall after the 2 heats I came 2nd by just 2 secs (add times for h1 & 2) over a total time of 45 min.
Still great fun and there's no prizes to make up for a bent fender never mind worse so it's just glorified DE w/o point bys although general sponsors pay track fees

My times are 1.23-4 but in quali I'm doing 21 flats - if I break a 20 I move up into class B.
What say ye? Later this week.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9600238-post122.html

Last edited by HiWind; 06-10-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

To me, it looked as if you were too much inclined to "stay in line" at the start instead of moving slightly to secure and defend your positions. Plus, it seemed as if you were not confident in your tires at the start. Remember, no one is at 100% pace at the first corner--there is a lot more grip at the pace you are at than you think.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Well spotted VR - cos it rained during prac and qual I never got to scrubb my new slicks - quali on wets.
So brand new slicks w 2 warmups laps to scrub in never mind remove the wax
- and you're 100% on defend the left or create your own traffic - obvious now

will remember to rather give up the dice w inside car to prevent the open door;
At least the inside car out qual'd me already.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

What slicks were you using?

EDIT: never mind, I see they are Dunlop, which are very very good. IMO, the 2 warm up laps are enough to scrub. They are good to go at the green flag!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:31 AM
HiWind
Race Car

I think you're right - they were sloppy even at the end of the 2nd warm up lap under hard braking ie tire warming braking but in the race you apply more evenly so thinking back I didn't slip after that, def not in the corners - see for the lat two laps how much I gain on the 3.8 in the corners. Do you think tires will suffer from no scrub in ie will they cord quicker?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

IMO no they will be fine. 2 warmup laps of scrub are fine.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:55 PM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks VR!

here's the vid with data - getting the hang of dashware at last

http://youtu.be/Aoo6v_wMhw8

Last edited by HiWind; 06-12-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: added vid
Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 AM
masterianvii
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. Apologies in advance if this has been asked before, and if it has been answered already, feel free to point me to the right post.

How does one practice car control, and how does one do it legally? More specifically throwing a car into a spin on a wet surface and catching it. While at some driving schools there are skid pad events, the allotted time is often not enough to really hone your skills. I have never seen this, but is it possible to rent a skid pad at a race track? While practicing on an empty heavily rained on/snow covered parking lot sounds like a great and affordable idea, it certainly isn't legal. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masterianvii
Great thread. Apologies in advance if this has been asked before, and if it has been answered already, feel free to point me to the right post.

How does one practice car control, and how does one do it legally? More specifically throwing a car into a spin on a wet surface and catching it. While at some driving schools there are skid pad events, they are not enough to really hone your skills. Do you go out and rent a skid pad at a race track? While practicing on an empty snow covered parking lot sounds like a great and affordable idea, it certainly isn't legal. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
why isn't doing that on a privately owned parking lot legal? back in the midwest I did that all the time without any issues. rain or snow is a great training ground

otherwise....autocross. cheap, easy, accessible, and it will teach you a lot about car control (in a parking lot...and it's legal! )

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH