Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
As I said delta between compounds is huge, but I like your thinking as far as trying to maximize your abilities on street tire before jumping to R comp or stickier.

I recommend that folks starting out stay with street tires as long as they can to learn how to manage slipping around to develop better car control but at lower speeds. However, once you can easily predict and catch slides or work out of understeer then it's time to move to R comp. NT01's are the gold standard for HPDE r comps. Re71rs are another excellent tire that some think are slightly faster but I don't think last as long as NT01's.

Let me just re-iterate my own and Kevin's point though at intermediate level this should be obvious to you, you cannot compare corner speeds of your very heavy, under tired car to Foss or any other GTS2 car. Doesn't matter how much power you have because cornering speed has very little to do with power but everything to do with weight, suspension, aero and tire compound assuming lines are the same. I am not surprised your equipment is 5-10 mph slower through the higher speed corners. So in this case blame the equipment. But also know that part of driver development is to understand these things.

So you want differences between compounds?

I'd say that 1:32 is an ok time on your setup. I doubt Foss could match his GTS2 times in your car but he could probably go faster.

R comps would be worth another 3-5 seconds over summers. So 1:27 to 1:29 all other things being equal for you.

Scrub Hoosiers would get you to 1:25's.

Sticker Hoosiers would get you to 1:22's.

Shaving 800 pounds and going full track prep would get you to 1:17's. See Ken Orgerons video.

In NASA GTS and TT/ST, the cars are classed by wt to power. I believe GTS2 is 14:1. So Foss' car probably weighs 2800 lbs. let's assume your car is putting 350 to wheels , your wt to power is ~11. If you look through TT2 (8:1) and TT3 (10:1) , you'll see mid 1:25's for a lot of these drivers even they are all running Hoosiers or R comps. But Tt4 and Tt5 guys were breaking into teens, because of their lightness (and drivers). MSRC doesn't really allow the ponies to run free. Light cars with sticky tires will have an advantage over car like yours.
Awesome, this was terrific help! I knew there was a difference but didn't think there was THAT much of a difference. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:13 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an interesting post from the Paradigm Shift Racing's site that I thought I'd share:

https://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/...echnique-myths
Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Here's an interesting post from the Paradigm Shift Racing's site...
Pretty pictures.

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-24-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

You don't agree with him? I'd be interested to hear other perspectives.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You don't agree with him? I'd be interested to hear other perspectives.
Conceptually, his opinions raise good questions, sort of like an “in a perfect world” scenario.

Practically, bolstered by real world instances supported by data from drivers functioning and executing at the highest level, my experience is that some of these assertions are at odds with actual practice.

It’s not “agree or disagree,” it just doesn’t jibe with mine and many other highly experienced instructors and professional coaches experiences, as well as several established professional school curricula.

Adam has contributed to the discussion well, encouraging some drivers to think in new ways and allowing themselves to transcend their own barriers to improvement. So it’s all good.

It’s been hashed over in other threads and we’ve personally agreed to disagree. That’s all.

This is is a great thread for sharing all kinds of perspectives. This is just one more.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Like everything on RL, your mileage may vary
Old 04-24-2018, 03:36 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's an interesting post from the Paradigm Shift Racing's site that I thought I'd share:

https://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/...echnique-myths
I know Adam contributes a lot of time and information to the forum, but not much in that post jives with my real world experiences. Of course, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

-mike
Old 04-24-2018, 04:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fleadh
Of course, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

-mike
Hahaha! I doubt you're "doing it wrong."

As a matter of fact, you're the poster child for the fact that performance levels of pros CAN be met by drivers starting later and studying assiduously.

Congrats and good luck this week.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-28-2018, 01:35 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Peter, what specifically out of those "5 myths" you don't agree with him on? No need to go into details just curious which ones
Old 04-28-2018, 07:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Speeds5
Peter, what specifically out of those "5 myths" you don't agree with him on? No need to go into details just curious which ones
Nah. No need.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:01 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
I have not yet seen any data presented that refutes Adam's views. Not saying it's not out there but the conversation has never got to that level. I know there are several of us that would really like to understand the counter view more fully but I think we've settled on "agree to disagree."
Old 04-29-2018, 01:31 AM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

i'm just trying to learn, i don't care which method as long as it results in lower lap time. As much as this stuff is backed up by data it's also very subjective. what might work for one guy and his car might not work for the other. To be able to compare two points of view, you'd need to do a study with the same car, same driver, same tires, same conditions, back to back to back. Not easily done.

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I have not yet seen any data presented that refutes Adam's views. Not saying it's not out there but the conversation has never got to that level. I know there are several of us that would really like to understand the counter view more fully but I think we've settled on "agree to disagree."
Old 04-29-2018, 07:56 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Learning the sport and have a question about taking a later apex:

is it true that all else being equal, a later apex requires less entry speed than an earlier apex (because more initial arc/steering input is needed)? (of course with the benefit of greater exit speed)

There are some corners where a later apex is obviously optimal and yet I am having to force myself to turn in later. I think part of the challenge is I feel like it requires too much steering input at a given speed. Mental barrier here somewhere.. and I think taking more speed off at entry, turning in later, and then consciously getting back on it earlier is the key - just want to confirm the theory.

Thanks
Matty
Old 05-07-2018, 07:45 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've raced in conference and scca for many years. Mostly production rear wheel drive. After running my first stab at a 996 last week, I've decided that I don't really know anything about racing. The 996 is not as powerful as I was expecting. It's forcing me to shape up my driving skills and drive it more like a monentum car... So far I'm pretty slow.

Last edited by gtred; 05-08-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 PM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Originally Posted by matt33
Learning the sport and have a question about taking a later apex:

is it true that all else being equal, a later apex requires less entry speed than an earlier apex (because more initial arc/steering input is needed)? (of course with the benefit of greater exit speed)

There are some corners where a later apex is obviously optimal and yet I am having to force myself to turn in later. I think part of the challenge is I feel like it requires too much steering input at a given speed. Mental barrier here somewhere.. and I think taking more speed off at entry, turning in later, and then consciously getting back on it earlier is the key - just want to confirm the theory.

Thanks
Matty
Hi Matty, yes a later apex will be slower all else being equal. An easy way to understand how is to draw different size circles over the entry of an overhead view of a corner. Have it touch the corner edge at entry and the apex. You'll notice how the larger circles (faster speed) will touch the apex earlier and a smaller circle (slower speed) will touch the apex later. This is not an ideal corner entry as it's constant speed, but it's an easy way to visualize the trend. An ideal entry would be spiral shaped which is essentially a series of smaller and smaller circles.

It's best if you can separate in your mind the car control from the line. Understand what the ideal line would be, but your current car control abilities dictate how close to that ideal you can get. So as you are always going to be limited by your current car control abilities, It also helps to understand which side of ideal is best to err on. I.e. acceleration at the apex is ideal, but from a lap time standpoint, early acceleration is better than late acceleration.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH