Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

somewhat on topic, what are the recommended settings for GoPro hero7 for track use??
Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
somewhat on topic, what are the recommended settings for GoPro hero7 for track use??
1080P; 15Hz Refresh (makes the file size much more manageable); fisheye on/off is personal, your friends will like it on (shows speed well), but if you are using it to learn you may want it off (shows proper perspective and distance); connect via WiFi and use a laptop to setup the camera view (it’s hard to really see the view on the tiny 1.5” screen).
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (09-12-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 02:55 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts

This is a great thread; thanks to every one who has contributed!

I took this video of myself driving @ Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit this past weekend, with SCCA's HPDE group. I'm running in the Intermediate Solo group, and I have 10 track days of experience (plus a 3-day Skip B school); 7 of those days are in my GT4; rest from my 350Z.

I have a couple specific questions:

1) Should I be holding full throttle through Big Bend (the turn before the Back Straight; turn 19 on this map)? I lift coming up to the apex, and I don't hold full throttle until a little bit after the apex. I feel like there is a good amount of time to gain here.
2) Should I be handling the turn before the Bridge Straight differently (turn 11 on this map)?

I know I have a lot of room for improvement, and I welcome any feedback that any one has to offer, not just on the above. Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2019, 04:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Sure like your video! <grin> Nice equipment!

In watching this video, I am shocked at the significant amount of the lap that shows equivocal application and release of the throttle. The good lap starts at 6:37

There are times the green bar is floating up and down without ANY reason to do so. Commitment is required here.

Doesn't have to be all the time, but your foot has to be DOWN and the bar deflection fully lit, once you make that commitment. This is the first thing taught after on-track drills begin at Skip Barber, in preparation for the threshold braking and lane change exercises.

There is often no clear attack (progression to wide open throttle after initial application) or quick, decisive decay (quickly off throttle, transitioning immediately to brake). That's the first thing I would work on.

The goal is to fully commit to throttle any time the wheel is straight or near straight.

Your terminal velocity and "whether or not you should be full throttle through corner x" is affected by variables like your car control capabilities (should the car yaw suddenly) and conditions. This can can be somewhat made more objective by studying the lateral g you're developing through T19. If you're under an already demonstrated measure, then you have room to grow. I suggest you make incrementally lesser (then, shorter duration) breathes off WOT throttle through T19, until the car pushes back...

If you are not to WOT by the time your shoulder is at the end of the apex, and your apex is accurate, that would be the first thing to work on. I think you can stay wide open throttle over the crest into brake zone past the Bus Stop

I'll go and look at some quicker laps at Shenendoah (I could tell you on Summit Main, having driven there for thirty-plus years and having lots and lots of data from hundreds of cars there), and see what I have, but I would think in your car you would be able to do this.

You are losing a GREAT DEAL more time in the skow stuff than you are in the quicker stuff. The extended vMins in some of the slow corners (even though they're long) is excruciating... Get out quicker first, then work up your entry. SHORTEN the periods at the lowest speeds...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-17-2019, 04:15 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Anu2g
This is a great thread; thanks to every one who has contributed!

I took this video of myself driving @ Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit this past weekend, with SCCA's HPDE group. I'm running in the Intermediate Solo group, and I have 10 track days of experience (plus a 3-day Skip B school); 7 of those days are in my GT4; rest from my 350Z.

https://youtu.be/7BECuQdlAFc?t=83

I have a couple specific questions:

1) Should I be holding full throttle through Big Bend (the turn before the Back Straight; turn 19 on this map)? I lift coming up to the apex, and I don't hold full throttle until a little bit after the apex. I feel like there is a good amount of time to gain here.
2) Should I be handling the turn before the Bridge Straight differently (turn 11 on this map)?

I know I have a lot of room for improvement, and I welcome any feedback that any one has to offer, not just on the above. Thanks again!
Good seeing you again this weekend. Just a note to remind you that we have a host of instructors at those events who would be happy to jump in the car for a session or two to work on skills and help you set goals. If you are coming to the October event let me know and we can get something scheduled.

Peter's thoughts are, as usual, on point. In your car and on your tires and knowing where you are in your development, I'd be surprised if you can take Big Bend flat; it may be something to work toward but I'd be surprised if you are there yet. A little breathe of the throttle may be necessary to give you the confidence you can make the corner. That said, once it is clear you are going to make the corner exit, you should be working toward a quick but smooth transition to full throttle.

-David
ProCoach (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter; all of that feedback is helpful. I'll work on shortening the amount of time spent at low speed, and finding/committing to WOT (and transitioning from WOT to full brake).

David, nice seeing you as well, and thanks for the note. I unfortunately can't make the October event, though I see that there is a PCA Riesentoter event @ Summit Main that I can make on 10/12; I just submitted registration for that. After that, next event is 11/3 Seat Time @ Summit Main. I will definitely take you up on having a coach jump in for a session next time I'm at an SCCA event.

Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Anu2g
1) Big Bend is a high speed corner that deserves respect. Throttle usage will be based on power and grip, lower power cars with track tires may be able to go flat out but a higher powered car on street tires will not. As you get better you will be able to feel the edge of grip and know if the car will take more throttle.
2) Turn 11 starts off slightly off-camber and progresses to more off-camber as you go around the corner. The max off-camber is just after mid corner. This is an excellent corner to learn how to trail brake, this allows you to roll more speed into corner entry and not peel off the speed until mid corner.
3) Low hanging fruit: Turn 6, left hander, starts the uphill to Turn 7, another left hander (this area is also known as The Hook). You are over braking in 6, if you have to go to throttle between 6 and 7 you over braked 6. You should be able to carry enough speed through 6 to coast up to 7 and complete your braking there. It’s a great eye opener for beginning drivers. It is a concept that you will learn to use at other tracks, a two part turn with the first part being a larger radius and the second part being a tighter radius. For example, you will use this same trick in Turns 11 and 12 at VIR.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:45 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
1) Big Bend is a high speed corner that deserves respect. Throttle usage will be based on power and grip, lower power cars with track tires may be able to go flat out but a higher powered car on street tires will not. As you get better you will be able to feel the edge of grip and know if the car will take more throttle.
2) Turn 11 starts off slightly off-camber and progresses to more off-camber as you go around the corner. The max off-camber is just after mid corner. This is an excellent corner to learn how to trail brake, this allows you to roll more speed into corner entry and not peel off the speed until mid corner.
3) Low hanging fruit: Turn 6, left hander, starts the uphill to Turn 7, another left hander (this area is also known as The Hook). You are over braking in 6, if you have to go to throttle between 6 and 7 you over braked 6. You should be able to carry enough speed through 6 to coast up to 7 and complete your braking there. It’s a great eye opener for beginning drivers. It is a concept that you will learn to use at other tracks, a two part turn with the first part being a larger radius and the second part being a tighter radius. For example, you will use this same trick in Turns 11 and 12 at VIR.
Thank you; this is very helpful. Especially your note on entering the Hook.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:17 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts
Default WGI Exiting the Bus Stop Through the Carousel to Track Out

My question is: How do you test real time that the car is at the tire grip limit as the car rotates through the Carousel. I believe that I am driving that turn at 8/10 and have not been able to get to 10/10 because I do not know what the feedback should be. All other turns, I get good feedback if under or over driving the turn.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:53 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

The Outer loop? Try to get to the apex. If it goes right away you are going too slow. If you can't get it there you are going fast enough and need to feather the throttle until you can.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Yeah, which track?
Old 09-28-2019, 12:41 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yeah, which track?
Hi, The track is Watkins Glen. At the bus stop, once the right rear tire exits the 1st kerbs, I am at full throttle from that point until the exit of the bus stop with my Porsche 944 (avoiding the kerbs on the left and going slightly over the kerbs on the right.

As I approach the turn in for the carousel, I reduce throttle and. turn in slowly to the far inside to take advantage of the track chamber.

It is when you are close to the inside of the corner to apex is when I believe I am at 8/10

How do you "test" for maximum available tire grip in that transition to the apex? What is the sequence for testing just prior to 10/10 and not spinning because if you lift, you get oversteer.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

In many cars, you sort of get a floaty feeling in there, a combination of the very beginnings of understeer and oversteer
ProCoach (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 08:37 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
How do you "test" for maximum available tire grip in that transition to the apex?
Apex Pro is supposed to be able to do this for you and show you, with a series of green and red LEDs, how much grip you are using and/or leaving on the table.

But it almost sounds too good to be true...?
Old 09-28-2019, 08:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Apex Pro is supposed to be able to do this for you and show you, with a series of green and red LEDs, how much grip you are using and/or leaving on the table.

But it almost sounds too good to be true...?
No, it's true. Need to calibrate and let it learn. An additional aid is watching the light behavior on video.

I charge a lot of money to distill what the Apex Pro does to make substantive improvements for most drivers.

The learning capability is so far beyond AiM, MoTeC, Porsche Precision Track App and the rest, it's a big deal. Not everyone realizes the same benefit, and in my mind, some makes more sense than others.

It's big.
FFaust (09-28-2019)

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH