See you there, Paolo!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes: PRAY FOR RAIN

See you there, Paolo!
I really don't think we have to pray for rain, looks its going to happen regardless....
See you thursday.....
Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Go fast Paolo. Be gentle with your steering inputs. See you in a couple weeks.
Thanks Larry, see you in a few......
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Paolo,

"Tell the car what to do, don't ask it."

The white curbs are friendly, the asphalt ones are not...

Good luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Are there any last words of wisdom from all the coaches out there to the participants of this week-end:

2011 CLASH AT THE GLEN?
Say hello to the Texas contingent. There's quite a few SpecBox drivers going. Some of our best drivers and best all around people will be there.

edit: In other words, I will NOT be there.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Are there any last words of wisdom from all the coaches out there to the participants of this week-end:

2011 CLASH AT THE GLEN?

Don't hit sh*t.

seriously good luck Paolo. BTW this forum is " ask the coach" so is everyone that is offering advice in here an instructor, coach or experienced racer, or is this just an open forum? just asking.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Don't hit sh*t.

seriously good luck Paolo. BTW this forum is " ask the coach" so is everyone that is offering advice in here an instructor, coach or experienced racer, or is this just an open forum? just asking.
Good question. I'll go first. I'm an instructor & racer. But it's clear to me that there are many here (VR, onefastviking, LH, Seth,...) that are much more experienced and informed. So I for one have been trying to make sure that I only comment on things that I have direct, first hand experience with, and that I'm very sure I can address accurately. Otherwise, I try to just read and learn.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Don't hit sh*t.

My stated intent was that it be the former.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, I see nothing wrong with your approach. I will leave the comments up to the principal supporters of the thread and let them decide how to moderate it. Since it has somewhat of a formal title, I would think a member asking a serious question would like an answer that is experienced- based not just an opinion. As example, I dropped by a recent Club Tech session when a newer DE driver had his car on a lift and a somewhat veteran member told him he should remove an important aero panel from underneath his car since it is just "ballast". In that particular case I got involved since the information was very wrong. I am not trying to step on toes, but I suggest contributors think carefully before they post to this thread based on a level of responsibility to newer drivers/racers/members. I would think contributors should be qualified to post responses that the moderator could screen ahead of such privileges.

The Topic (not thread) is a great idea, but I can already see it's validation threatened by more garbage in/out syndrome. BTW, I think VR has been pretty tolerant considering it was his idea.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Mike, I see nothing wrong with your approach. I will leave the comments up to the principal supporters of the thread and let them decide how to moderate it. Since it has somewhat of a formal title, I would think a member asking a serious question would like an answer that is experienced- based not just an opinion. As example, I dropped by a recent Club Tech session when a newer DE driver had his car on a lift and a somewhat veteran member told him he should remove an important aero panel from underneath his car since it is just "ballast". In that particular case I got involved since the information was very wrong. I am not trying to step on toes, but I suggest contributors think carefully before they post to this thread based on a level of responsibility to newer drivers/racers/members. I would think contributors should be qualified to post responses that the moderator could screen ahead of such privileges.

The Topic (not thread) is a great idea, but I can already see it's validation threatened by more garbage in/out syndrome. BTW, I think VR has been pretty tolerant considering it was his idea.
I completely agree with you.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

All true. Bob Rouleau has really helped keep this on track with moderating, since I am not a moderator. But the common denominator bold words above remain true, despite my best efforts.

Experienced folks like mglobe are always welcome to answer queries posted here.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I know from experience in other "vocational learning" opportunities that if you feel, as I do, that you don't have any questions you can really form, then alot more active and passive learning needs to take place. I know this to be a fact for me.

But I can think of some:

1) I have only had a bit of track time, but I felt like a challenge for me was learning the track and corners. I guess I will not be doing that as quickly as some of the greats. I understand that once you really want to get better, you need to know the track in your sleep so you can focus on more intensive details of the driving.

2) I have a question I am trying to form about how my track time with go-karts can help with "real" track time. I'll edit later.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Just because a driver might have been at the top of the food chain in racing...a pro, won major championships does not mean this driver can teach driving and inspire students. There are many different ways people learn and a great coach can Taylor the lessons for each particular student. There is just no one way to teach...students are different and there are different techniques used to get someone to learn.

I feel that a lot of de instructors could benefit in learning how better to teach different types of students.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:17 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Just because a driver might have been at the top of the food chain in racing...a pro, won major championships does not mean this driver can teach driving and inspire students. There are many different ways people learn and a great coach can Taylor the lessons for each particular student. There is just no one way to teach...students are different and there are different techniques used to get someone to learn.

I feel that a lot of de instructors could benefit in learning how better to teach different types of students.
Very true, many years ago I had the wonderful opportunity to be instructed by Vic Elford, Jim Pace, and Peter Argetsinger.
Of those 3, I would say that 99% know of Vic's racing history and wins, many might know of Jim's history, but most (except for the WG and RU crowd) would not know of Peter. Well you can guess where I am going with this, the best instructor and coach of those 3 was Pete.
Vic was wonderful, if you liked to listen to his stories of his racing history, Jim was very good, but Pete was by far the best at helping each student understand and increase their own abilities. He didn't spend time bragging or trying to impress you with his own racing success, initially he stated some of his "experience" and then it was on to the business of improving my driving.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Back on track, I am thinking that the video games, while informative, do not do as much to improve performance as one would hope. Am I mistaken?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Okay, I thought of one -

I have driven cars with very stiff rear bars and also no bar at all (not hooked up).

It seems to me that the scenario that resulted in surer grip mid corner was no rear bar, but the amount of feedback was reduced as to what the rear end was doing compared to the stiff rear bar (same car, same tires) I understand many people try and get stiffer bars for better turn in, but I personally know some racers who run no rear bar at all.

What say you?

Originally Posted by BC
I know from experience in other "vocational learning" opportunities that if you feel, as I do, that you don't have any questions you can really form, then alot more active and passive learning needs to take place. I know this to be a fact for me.

But I can think of some:

1) I have only had a bit of track time, but I felt like a challenge for me was learning the track and corners. I guess I will not be doing that as quickly as some of the greats. I understand that once you really want to get better, you need to know the track in your sleep so you can focus on more intensive details of the driving.

2) I have a question I am trying to form about how my track time with go-karts can help with "real" track time. I'll edit later.

Last edited by BC; 05-27-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH