Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Contracts are only as good as your resolve to enforce them, but can be a deterrent for a POS coward looking to rip you off.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'll offer a different perspective. Getting past the emotions of this experience(which will fade), since this client was an outlier, is it really worth changing how you've been doing things? Sure, you can have a short contract or ask for a deposit up front, but in the bigger picture the drawbacks could be greater than the benefits.
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Contracts are only as good as your resolve to enforce them, but can be a deterrent for a POS coward looking to rip you off.
This is where my thinking is as well. While I won't call him names (what is the point?), I will say that he did taunt me at least a dozen times via email and text with "Where is the contract I signed? I didn't thnk so" or some variation thereof.

So...Q.E.D.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-27-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scum.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This is where my thinking is as well. While I won't call him names (what is the point?), I will say that he did taunt me at least a dozen times via email and text with "Where is the contract I signed? I didn't thnk so" or some variation thereof.

So...Q.E.D.
Now that takes it from an unfortunate experience to the 'what a jerk' level.
Which was kind of apparent I suppose.
Best to just move on (which is hard to do on Rennlist), which I know you are doing.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One method I have found that works very well.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Yup. Best thing to do at this point...
Agreed but first I would name the deadbeat so that others can avoid him.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sorry. I never name clients unless they either identify themselves or give me permission to do so.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Sorry. I never name clients unless they either identify themselves or give me permission to do so.
Good call.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Good call.
Congrats on the sub 2:00 run! Can't wait to get to VIR soon. Love that place. Track is awesome.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's a LOT better, now! Hope to see you there!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'd like to revisit a topic we have discussed more than once in this thread and others: being gentler on the brakes to keep the chassis composed, aid the receptivity of the chassis to take throttle, and raise entry speed.

Not that long ago, I had the pleasure of working with an experienced, accomplished racer who ended up setting a new track record the weekend we worked together. He lowered the record by a lot, in a highly competitive class. I was unable to work with him in-car, so we just worked on data and video.

One of the things that stood out in the data of his best laps (up to that point) of the weekend, was that his brake spikes (intensity of brake application & amount of longitudinal G's under baking) was (to my view) way too high in a couple of key corners on this particular track. He was killing way too much entry speed, and was probably delaying how soon he could go back to throttle. These are corners that are visually deceiving...they look slower than they are...and thus it is very easy to over-brake there.

So I made the suggestion that he take 10% out of his initial brake pressure in those corners, and then trail off from there as he normally did. I assured him the car would actually feel even more stable, and that I was not raising his danger profile I also assured him that he would likely be able to come off the brake sooner, since he wouldn't be pitching the car quite so much on its nose...thus spending less real estate on the brakes and at vMin.

So he executed perfectly, in the race, and set a new track record in the race!

The point is that there is a LOT of time to be had in the brake zone, by using a little bit less initial pressure, without putting ourselves any more in harm's way.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

My first experience with hiring a coach was with Chris Hall, and this was the first thing he had me work on. I shaved a lot of time just from that tip. Of course I was so slow before hiring him it was easy to shave time regardless of what he chose to address in my driving.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 671 Likes on 338 Posts

Dave
Looked at this thread on an off over the years, but haven't in a long time and don't have time to go through 106 pages - though maybe I should...I'm sure I'll learn something!!

Quickly before my question, about the guy that stiffed you: if you haven't already done so, I highly suggested putting together a contract for your clients. Even if its a simple, one page document that describes exactly what the roles and responsibilities are for both client and coach so that there is NO misunderstanding. Set the expectations IN WRITING early, that way the client can never say 'well, that's not what I thought' or 'I didn't know'. Just a simple level setting document.

I'm helping out my mechanic shop with putting one together for track support. Same scenario - he showed up at a race to support a couple drivers last year, all agreed on with a phone call and text, but one of them picked up a buddy on his way down and when got to the track, said he didn't need support anymore, got his own. Get it in writing.

So, on to my Coaching question...and it may have been asked but as I said, I can't read through 106 pages...: what do you do with someone new that has a car you are completely unfamiliar with? You don't know how it would handle, how it can accelerate/corner/brake, etc. And you are not able to drive it yourself, or go out with the person - either due to event regulations or reasons surrounding the car.

I drive/race a very modified 914, big tires,lots of hp, coil over suspension, aero, etc..... Most people have no idea how it will handle, what its capable of, or where the limits are, so its hard to have someone help me (other than in generalities) extract more out of the car. I KNOW the car is WAY more capable than I am...I just don't know where and how? How can you tell from looking just at MY data what can be done to squeeze out more from the car/driver without comparing it to what CAN be done?

I'll leave it at that for now as I have a few follow on questions/comments depending on how this is answered.

thanks!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by naroescape
How can you tell from looking just at MY data what can be done to squeeze out more from the car/driver without comparing it to what CAN be done?

I'll leave it at that for now as I have a few follow on questions/comments depending on how this is answered.

thanks!
Bob, I can't figure out if you addressed this to the esteemed VR or the group, so I'll let him answer how he wishes.

But, as someone for whom data is a cornerstone of analysis and uses data as a centerpiece to do JUST THAT, it's not as difficult as you think.

And yes, even underachievers generate good comparative data. They just need to know how to unearth it.

Also, how to generate specific, targeted exercises in order to generate that good data...

Off to the beach before VIR/Road Atlanta/COTA and Summit Point!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 671 Likes on 338 Posts

Peter
Sorry...meant for the group....any help is good help!
I guess what i don't understand is, how can you see from the data that I actually COULD brake later/earlier, turn in different, accelerate more, etc. Maybe the car just can't handle it? or..maybe the car can do SOOO much more than what you can see on the charts.

My wife has been fascinated by data and really wants to learn more about it, hopefully start helping both of us drive better. she has easy comparisons because she can look at my stuff and see where she can do more. But I have nothing to compare to....

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH