Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

I know you can do it, too...
Old 04-18-2014, 02:03 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you guys mind putting together a plan to help me maximize an upcoming opportunity I have?

Single day private track rental. Professionals will be on hand to provide limited help to participants. They will help in the following capacities:

- Data / Video evaluation
- Drive participants cars and provide setup feedback.
**They will not ride along as instructors is the catch due to liability issues**

I will have the Aim Solo and goPro loaded and ready to rock. My issue is I'm not the quickest at integrating them for on-the-spot evaluation.

I've tinkered with my car quite a bit and this will be at my home track where I have more laps than I even care to add up but never had a professional drive it so I'm going to absolutely take the opportunity to put a pro in the car and make sure data and video are running to compare later as well.

Car is on Nitto's so that hopefully tires aren't a factor in swaying data one way or another as the day goes on.

Any tips or tricks or strategy I should use to maximize the data I gather to then compare to what I'm doing in the car vs. them.

Thank you,
Old 04-18-2014, 02:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Since it's your home track and you know every dent on the surface, you'll benefit hugely from riding along while the pro is driving. Would that be possible? Don't be surprised if your laptimes are only negligibly slower (if at all) from the pros, too. Happened to me a couple of times already. Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Andy, by all means, yes, make sure you can ride as their passenger. It is incredibly valuable. I always try to take my client as a passenger when I drive their car, if possible. They learn TONS.

Also, regarding integrating data & video...many pros are used to using a lot of these systems. Ask them if they can help you...
Old 04-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

Any tips or tricks or strategy I should use to maximize the data I gather to then compare to what I'm doing in the car vs. them.
Thank you,
Combining the data and the video while driving at the track will be very tough, but I'll get you a screen shot of how you can set up RS2 to get you a good view of the essential skills that you will want to take away from their driving.

How familiar are you with Race Studio?

Originally Posted by hf1
Since it's your home track and you know every dent on the surface, you'll benefit hugely from riding along while the pro is driving. Would that be possible? Don't be surprised if your laptimes are only negligibly slower (if at all) from the pros, too. Happened to me a couple of times already. Good luck and have fun!
You're no slouch, so I'm not surprised that a random pro jumping in your car isn't quicker than you.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Here is what I would do if I were you.

If you take your data and make a view like this, it will allow you to check the big things very quickly. First, you can compare speeds real quick and see where you are gaining or losing time. Then, you can look at the bottom and check the Long G to see how you are doing under braking (application point, application speed, trailing off). Then you can use the G Sum (combined G) to see where they are working the tires harder than you. I use the GPS map many different ways, but using it with G Sum and then zooming into the corner entry lets you see where you have the potential to brake later and use more of the tires total ability.

Lots more can go into this, but this will give you a nice little screen to check things out on. I'm sure the coaches/drivers will have some familiarity with the data and will be able to show you some things.

And remember, at the end of the day, the speed is the most important. The other channels tell the how, but at the end of the day, if the speed isn't faster, the lap times are lower!
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Matt thanks for the info

I have taken some basic data classes and would say I'm fairly comfortable with race studio. With the base solo I'm not capturing much and relying on math channels to add more dats points.

Sounds silly but should I add ballast to the car when I'm running solo vs when riding along to keep data more consistent?

I'm excited to see what I gain from this experience. Is there another 1/2 second or more hiding out there I'm going to find???
Old 04-19-2014, 12:50 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If you are only 1/2 second away from a perfect lap, the pros (driving your car and on your home track) will have their work cut out for them.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Andy - Can you set up 'sectors' on the track map with the A Solo or race studio? If so, in addition to the above that is something I would discuss with the Pros early in the process. If you set up "good" sectors for your track, an art to be sure, you can fairly easily compare your times, braking, acceleration, and grip levels, to the Pro's for any given segment of track (linked turns, say) or any corner, etc. With video overlay, you can look their line, entry points, and if your camera shows the wheel how/where they (begin) turn in, etc. Between the two, you can get a decent read on where that half-second is... I would also second riding with them as that will re-tune the 'butt dyno' for braking feel and release and how a balanced car feels entering a corner hotly - beyond value :-)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by cello
Andy - Can you set up 'sectors' on the track map with the A Solo or race studio? If so, in addition to the above that is something I would discuss with the Pros early in the process. If you set up "good" sectors for your track, an art to be sure, you can fairly easily compare your times, braking, acceleration, and grip levels, to the Pro's for any given segment of track (linked turns, say) or any corner, etc. With video overlay, you can look their line, entry points, and if your camera shows the wheel how/where they (begin) turn in, etc. Between the two, you can get a decent read on where that half-second is... I would also second riding with them as that will re-tune the 'butt dyno' for braking feel and release and how a balanced car feels entering a corner hotly - beyond value :-)
Segments - yes currently have the track broken down into 5 segments I believe but can do more or less.

To be clear on my 1/2 second comment. I'm sure there is more than that left on the table but after chipping away at a 10th here or there on my own id be ecstatic to find more than that through this experience. Matter of fact I believe this limited exposure to coaching will likely lead to me spending more time with a pro later this year to really take things to the next level
Old 04-19-2014, 12:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Here is what I would do if I were you.

If you take your data and make a view like this, it will allow you to check the big things very quickly. First, you can compare speeds real quick and see where you are gaining or losing time. Then, you can look at the bottom and check the Long G to see how you are doing under braking (application point, application speed, trailing off). Then you can use the G Sum (combined G) to see where they are working the tires harder than you. I use the GPS map many different ways, but using it with G Sum and then zooming into the corner entry lets you see where you have the potential to brake later and use more of the tires total ability.

Lots more can go into this, but this will give you a nice little screen to check things out on. I'm sure the coaches/drivers will have some familiarity with the data and will be able to show you some things.

And remember, at the end of the day, the speed is the most important. The other channels tell the how, but at the end of the day, if the speed isn't faster, the lap times are lower!
Great post!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if it's ok to ask a suspension question here. Have a 996 GT3 that was is now mostly gutted and has a full, welded-in, 6 pt cage. I have most, if not all suspension bits. In my first event with the newly caged car I think I noticed that the car may have lost it's quickness in resetting itself in a series of turns (i.e., VIR essess). It wasn't bad but it didn't feel as sharp. Tires were not the issue. Maybe the new surface though?

In any case, my main question relates to how the new stiffness of the chassis my effect things. I almost think I now have to also stiffen my sway bars a bit. I stiffing the sway or raising compression the right direction to go or should I be going the other direction?

FYI...I have adjustable Motons and 900 lb springs in front and 1100 in rear.

thanks
Ramon
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When was the last time you insured that your canister pressure was up to snuff?

Have you insured your damper settings are where they were prior to the work on the car?

Get everything back to "normal", double check that and then see what happens.

You do keep a book with suspension settings, right?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Cool Happiness is...

forgetting to hit the brakes and finding out you never needed them in the first place :-).

Going into T9 CW at TWS today had a brain fart and completely forgot to hit the brakes. Exited mid-track, but the car made it through and it was fast. Playing with it, found out just a bit of a lift is all I need there. In an instant, a braking zone is gone

Thinking back, I don't really think I "forgot" it, I think my subconscious was perfectly fine w/o brakes and something distracted me from consciously "correcting" it. I really do think too much on the track.

-Mike
Old 04-26-2014, 11:55 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Thinking back, I don't really think I "forgot" it, I think my subconscious was perfectly fine w/o brakes and something distracted me from consciously "correcting" it. I really do think too much on the track.
I hear you. That's exactly the kind of thing that can be tested in a sim or with an accomplished coach who can show you the limits of a given car+setup on a given track.

Congrats--it's a great feeling!!

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH