Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:09 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
the real measure you want to see is GSum on the strip chart, against distance. You need to look at HOW you build that most outlying sample of the friction circle by giving it a SUM number, then looking for dips or ebbs, then a rise again. That would confirm your analysis, which I think is correct.

Have fun!
So I had a year of college physics 20++ years ago and I'm no engineer.... I've watched a couple of tutorials on my AiM...a lot to learn....

Can you tell me more about GSum? I see the following channels on my AiM:

Is this a sum of the lateral and longitudinal g forces? Can you maybe build a math channel for this?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Yep, make a math channel.

Combined G (GSum) equals square root of ACC_LAT plus ACC_LONG (if you calibrate your Solo DL to use internal accelerometers) or, more simply, use GPS_LatAcc and GPS_LonAcc

It's a snap and if Matt doesn't chime in, I'll respond when I get done prepping the systems I need to send out before leaving for Daytona!

Here's AiM's rather longwinded explanation on how to do it. http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ls_101_eng.pdf

GSum is loaded into the RSA program, you just need to change the channel identifiers to match your logger.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-07-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Bad math expression! I'm not an engineer! For sure.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:20 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yep, make a math channel.

Square root of Combined G (GSum) equals square root of ACC_LAT plus square root of ACC_LONG (if you calibrate your Solo DL to use internal accelerometers) or, more simply, use GPS_LatAcc and GPS_LonAcc

It's a snap and if Matt doesn't chime in, I'll respond when I get done prepping the systems I need to send out before leaving for Daytona!
Peter, not an expert here but didn't you mean:

Gsum = square_root(ACC_LAT^2 + ACC_LONG^2)

(Pythagoras' Theorem, right?)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1

Sorry, you're right. The correct expression is: Sqrt(Lat G^2 + Long G^2)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

You are correct. Peter was in a rush and missed the squares.

To make the channel, go to Modify > Math Channels. Then click Insert at the top and then paste "sqrt(GPS_LatAcc^2+GPS_LonAcc^2)" into the box at the bottom. Click the "..." at the top and type in the channel name (GSum, Combined G, or whatever you like). Then say OK and you're done!
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2014, 09:43 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

"I don't have the vocabulary"
Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by baddogz28

"I don't have the vocabulary"
Which part is a problem. We'll get you through it.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Gsum in traqmate

So I took Peter(pro coach) traqmate webinar and took lots of notes but do not recall learning a way to create this equation in that software. Would you just export to excel? Currently I try to have a arch along the outer edge of the friction circle. Opposed to having a "v" on either side. The main thing I took away from his class was to have "clean" traces on the graph over distance also how quickly you build braking G then blend to lat/acc G along with when you can get to full throttle.?

If there is a way to make this equation with traqmate I would love to learn
Old 11-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tahoelife
So I took Peter(pro coach) traqmate webinar and took lots of notes but do not recall learning a way to create this equation in that software. Would you just export to excel? Currently I try to have a arch along the outer edge of the friction circle. Opposed to having a "v" on either side. The main thing I took away from his class was to have "clean" traces on the graph over distance also how quickly you build braking G then blend to lat/acc G along with when you can get to full throttle.?

If there is a way to make this equation with traqmate I would love to learn
I don't believe you can do this with Traqmate as they don't have any way to do math channels.

You're thoughts on it are correct thought. The G Sum calculation is really just the distance of the point on the friction circle, so you want to keep the friction circle as far out as possible at all times. Here's a great article on it http://www.trailbrake.net/featured-a...he-g-g-diagram
Old 11-08-2014, 12:55 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Gsum

Thanks Matt I will read it for sure. For now I know I need to trail brake better. I fall into the category of back to gas before apex currently (air cooled 911) and for me I am faster steering the car with the gas pedal rotation. I suppose part of this is due to car setup (non LSD) which is no excuse but seems to allow me to keep my car more balanced in a controllable manner. The slower corners IE 2nd gear corners I do better to brake to apex but every where that is 3rd gear and above I tend to be back to gas just before apex I also feel this helps me in a low hp car. But I read and hear everywhere trail to apex so I am focused on figuring this out
Old 11-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tahoelife
Thanks Matt I will read it for sure. For now I know I need to trail brake better. I fall into the category of back to gas before apex currently (air cooled 911) and for me I am faster steering the car with the gas pedal rotation. I suppose part of this is due to car setup (non LSD) which is no excuse but seems to allow me to keep my car more balanced in a controllable manner. The slower corners IE 2nd gear corners I do better to brake to apex but every where that is 3rd gear and above I tend to be back to gas just before apex I also feel this helps me in a low hp car. But I read and hear everywhere trail to apex so I am focused on figuring this out
Trailbraking is just one of many tools you should have. It's a very important part of driving when you are in slower (<~60 mph), but not necessarily what you will be doing in a high speed sweeper.

It's easy to get caught up in the "I have a hammer and everything is a nail" thinking. Sometimes you have to step back and see what other techniques will help and plan a different approach.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:50 AM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Which part is a problem. We'll get you through it.
Thanks Matt (also Dave and Peter.) This thread is a wealth of info that's for sure. Trying to soak it up and apply the concepts discussed as I gain more experience.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:23 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 435 Posts

I can't think of corner where I have to brake that I don't trail brake.....
Old 11-08-2014, 01:20 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Matt was probably thinking about fast corners where you only need a lift or small dab on the brakes to set up the front for turn-in. But, I agree, to the extent that major braking (scrubbing speed off) is required, then I too can't think of a corner into which I don't trail brake, which is why I don't like the term (trail brake) -- it's just 'braking' to me.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Then you don't get out much, Scott. Turn 10 at VIR is NOT a trail braking corner...

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH