Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup. It's all about the clutch packs.
No, no, no, no, no.

You need a flat HP curve, with lots of tire slip so the clutch packs will convert pv=nrt into downforce on old tires and worn out shocks so you can take an early apex.

Gee, that seems too short, so...

No, no, no, no, no.

You need a flat HP curve, with lots of tire slip so the clutch packs will convert pv=nrt into downforce on old tires and worn out shocks so you can take an early apex.

No, no, no, no, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post.
Of.
The.
Year.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

mark,

if you had a limit of HP would you want a flat hp curve or a flat torque curve? Its a simple question. state the reason if you can.

Mark
Originally Posted by SundayDriver
No, no, no, no, no.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
mark,

if you had a limit of HP would you want a flat hp curve or a flat torque curve? Its a simple question. state the reason if you can.

Mark
Hmmm. Tough question. I vote for a sense of humor.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Vote? I vote for SundayDrover for President.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Vote? I vote for SundayDrover for President.
Thanks. I do need time to work on my golf game.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

VR,
Ive heard most (or i know some) modern Dragsters use automatic transmissions! At first glance , they look to act a lot like CVT, but I dont know for sure.
you tell me, know it all boy!

Tire slip is pretty substantial
Here is some slow mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XttOe4rerLo

Last edited by mark kibort; 04-06-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Really?? wrong again? Hmmm,I thought I read that most modern dragsters use torque converters. But, you seem to know what you are talking about, so....

Dont slip tires much?? 2:1 isnt a lot??

check out the slo mo video.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Wrong once again. Dragsters use regular transmissions and slip the clutches a bunch. They also change the ignition and fuel curves to reduce power. Oh, and they don't slip the tires much.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Really?? wrong again? Hmmm,I thought I read that most modern dragsters use torque converters. But, you seem to know what you are talking about, so....

Dont slip tires much?? 2:1 isnt a lot??

check out the slo mo video.
So you want to talk about Pro Stock Cars or Dragsters? Pretty bid difference. 300" long vs. about 120". 8000 hp versus about 900 hp. 320 mph versus 200 mph.

I think the last top fuel dragster that used a slider clutch ran in the early '80s. Pro Stock CARS still shift, but we are talking about DRAGSTERS.

Now if you are going to claim you where talking about Comp, Super Comp, or something like that, it's different, but as you know, most people don't refer to those as dragsters.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Well, there is the most common problem of the internet discussion. terminology! yes, I was talking about automatic transmission, because that is how it relates to the CVT, or IVT. Dragster, pro-stock, .... they are all dragsters to me. IM not a drag guy, I just know they go real fast, burn a ton of gas and they alll talk about how much power they have!

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
So you want to talk about Pro Stock Cars or Dragsters? Pretty bid difference. 300" long vs. about 120". 8000 hp versus about 900 hp. 320 mph versus 200 mph.

I think the last top fuel dragster that used a slider clutch ran in the early '80s. Pro Stock CARS still shift, but we are talking about DRAGSTERS.

Now if you are going to claim you where talking about Comp, Super Comp, or something like that, it's different, but as you know, most people don't refer to those as dragsters.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Scott,

You never answered the question!
Would you want a flat hp curve vs a flat torque curve, given that you couldnt increase the HP or had a limit on HP set by a series you were running in. (i.e. HP weight ratio, etc)
Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Scott,

You never answered the question!
Would you want a flat hp curve vs a flat torque curve, given that you couldnt increase the HP or had a limit on HP set by a series you were running in. (i.e. HP weight ratio, etc)
No matter what I or anyone else says, you are going to come back with a 7 trillion word dissertation on how you are right. Discussing anything with you is completely pointless.

Scott
Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Why, because I disagree with you? Thats not true Scotty! You challenged me and pointed out some things that you said were "fantasy" I merly responded with some factual information.
Dont chicken out and run away, when you are the one that really came back with the rude response equivalent to, " you are wrong". If so, prove it.

First that striving for a flat HP curve is better than striving for a flat torque curve. I live this with my car, so it is reality. its a very flat HP cuve. IN actuality, most HP /torque curves look near the same. the V8s tend to have more of a mid range hump (more torque) and fall down from there. this is good though, as it boosts the mid range torque and mid range HP. after all, where we end up after a shift or off a turn, is what we care about. usually that is 70% of redline worst case.

Here are two curves that really speak well to the discussion.

A V10 viper vs a F-6 GT3RS . both have near the same shape curves, but the point of interest is that the Viper, even with its 150ft-lbs of additional torque, would put down near the same torque to the wheels at any point on the track. Also with a close ratio gear box, any diffeences would be reduced. Its the reason these cars can compete in ALMS, WC and other series racing.

also, here is also a dyno run of a GT3, but with a change in hp curve shapes. what is the effect of the change and what one would you want if you were using an engine like this in your race car?

Originally Posted by winders
No matter what I or anyone else says, you are going to come back with a 7 trillion word dissertation on how you are right. Discussing anything with you is completely pointless.

Scott
Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Well, there is the most common problem of the internet discussion. terminology! yes, I was talking about automatic transmission, because that is how it relates to the CVT, or IVT. Dragster, pro-stock, .... they are all dragsters to me. IM not a drag guy, I just know they go real fast, burn a ton of gas and they alll talk about how much power they have!
I don't like 928s, so it's the same as saying your car is a water buffalo that can't get out of it's own way. Might as well be true.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winders

Scott
Why, because I disagree with you? Thats not true Scotty! You challenged me and pointed out some things that you said were "fantasy" I merly responded with some factual information.
Dont chicken out and run away, when you are the one that really came back with the rude response equivalent to, " you are wrong". If so, prove it.

First that striving for a flat HP curve is better than striving for a flat torque curve. I live this with my car, so it is reality. its a very flat HP cuve. IN actuality, most HP /torque curves look near the same. the V8s tend to have more of a mid range hump (more torque) and fall down from there. this is good though, as it boosts the mid range torque and mid range HP. after all, where we end up after a shift or off a turn, is what we care about. usually that is 70% of redline worst case.

Here are two curves that really speak well to the discussion.

A V10 viper vs a F-6 GT3RS . both have near the same shape curves, but the point of interest is that the Viper, even with its 150ft-lbs of additional torque, would put down near the same torque to the wheels at any point on the track. Also with a close ratio gear box, any diffeences would be reduced. Its the reason these cars can compete in ALMS, WC and other series racing.

also, here is also a dyno run of a GT3, but with a change in hp curve shapes. what is the effect of the change and what one would you want if you were using an engine like this in your race car?

That is priceless!!

Last edited by LoanWolf; 04-07-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Testing at Thunderhill