Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011 | 04:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Thats kinda what Mark is consistent with, get the facts slightly off, it can't make too much a difference, right ? RIGHT .......
LOL!

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 05-22-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:07 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Also, I really like Fey's answer, it is by far the most realistic real world performance answer to the question of when to shift and why taking all factors into account, not just some dyno graph and gear chart. Am I the only one that see's this ? I doubt it so speak up if you do.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thats kinda what Mark is consistent with, get the facts slightly off, it can't make too much a difference, right ? RIGHT .......
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mark, I am not going to resuscitate an old debate that you lost. There is no point, nor anything good that can come from it. Besides, it was a 996, which, in case you don't know, is very different from a 993.
Guys, i posted the graph, sorry i mispoke. Yes, I KNOW it was a 996, thats why i posted the 996 graph to back that up that discussion.

now, does a 993 make a difference?? probably not. still redline!
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:12 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark kibort

now, does a 993 make a difference?? probably not. still redline!
I guess it depends which graph you wanted to post to suit your needs Mark, 993NA,993TT,993T,993RSR, once again there are so numerous variables here you've lost everyone but yourself.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It might be ok with close ratio gear boxes, and arc'ing HP curves, but if you use the curves that come out of our cars, and most race engines mated to production transmissions, Fey's comments say 2%, but if that is taken at face value,it means you can shift at a point that creates 2% drop either way. With a wide spread of transmission gearing, that chould be a big difference in optimization, you know? So, I dont see it being the most realistic and he is talking dyno graphs by the way. How else would you find the 2% value he speaks of with out a dyno graph of some kind or engine torque, with a gear chart??? what am i missing there Viking?

Also, I really like Fey's answer, it is by far the most realistic real world performance answer to the question of when to shift and why taking all factors into account, not just some dyno graph and gear chart. Am I the only one that see's this ? I doubt it so speak up if you do.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The point is, and you know this, most all street cars and most race cars pay to shift at redline. very few do not. yes, there are lots of versions of the 911, I get that. we were talking the 996 old version NA in our discussions. Now, you are reaching, just for what. I said I miss spoke! I posted the correct dyno graph. I meant 996, and posted 993. this becomes a point of argument?

why dont YOU prove you are not lost. just post a dyno run that pays to not shift at redline. hmmm, I might have posted one. The trick is not so much finding one, but telling me where to shift instead! Thats the knowledge we and anyone that cares to maximize acceleration, is seeking.

random dynos for a 993 FYI!
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=1&FORM=IDFRIR

Here is a turbo 993.

shift points???? anyone??? Bueller????

I guess it depends which graph you wanted to post to suit your needs Mark, 993NA,993TT,993T,993RSR, once again there are so numerous variables here you've lost everyone but yourself.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:27 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

D
BTW Sunday actualy brought up something on the other site that will help find shift points. start at redline and draw a straight line with the RPM drop for any gear. if you cant draw a straight line and hit the rpm drop point, shift at redline. If you can, (rare), then back off the RPM til it fits.
I am staying out of this except to point out that this is ABSOLUTELY NOT what the course says, what the book says or what I said.

I will be happy to discuss and clarify in that other thread, but not this one.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:27 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

The point is, and you know this, most all street cars and most race cars pay to shift at redline. very few do not. yes, there are lots of versions of the 911, I get that. we were talking the 996 old version NA in our discussions. Now, you are reaching, just for what. I said I miss spoke! I posted the correct dyno graph. I meant 996, and posted 993. this becomes a point of argument?

why dont YOU prove you are not lost. just post a dyno run that pays to not shift at redline. hmmm, I might have posted one. The trick is not so much finding one, but telling me where to shift instead! Thats the knowledge we and anyone that cares to maximize acceleration, is seeking.

You still don't get it Mark, it's ok really. It's even ok if you think I am wrong and you are correct.
BTW - I've been trying to get JR to load up a group of Cali racers on a semi to make it out for the NASA Nationals, you should come too. We could meet in person and have some fun seeing whose theories work better in the real world, not just in a forum.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Ok, placate me. what dont I get? I didnt say you or VR was wrong in this thread so far. (prior thread, regarding shift points yes and I backed up my point with some facts)

But now, we are just talking about the fine tuning of the application of these facts. no one can deny that at any speed , if you make the same hp, you will accelerate the same. this , i dont think is under debate. Is it?

I would love to go to NASA nationals. that would be a good time. dont know how competitive my car would be in GTS5, but maybe I could tune it down to GTS4 and give it a go. my theories make my car a lot more compeitive than it would normally be, ask JR, because I prove them every race weekend!

You still don't get it Mark, it's ok really. It's even ok if you think I am wrong and you are correct.
BTW - I've been trying to get JR to load up a group of Cali racers on a semi to make it out for the NASA Nationals, you should come too. We could meet in person and have some fun seeing whose theories work better in the real world, not just in a forum.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:40 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Ok, placate me. what dont I get? I didnt say you or VR was wrong in this thread so far. (prior thread, regarding shift points yes and I backed up my point with some facts)

But now, we are just talking about the fine tuning of the application of these facts. no one can deny that at any speed , if you make the same hp, you will accelerate the same. this , i dont think is under debate. Is it?

I would love to go to NASA nationals. that would be a good time. dont know how competitive my car would be in GTS5, but maybe I could tune it down to GTS4 and give it a go. my theories make my car a lot more compeitive than it would normally be, ask JR, because I prove them every race weekend!

I think as respectable adults here Mark, we should just agree, that we disagree.
Although I am open to productive discussion with others here.

Please come to Nationals ! I will have cars racing in GTS3 and GTS4 and I am working on another that could go in GTS5 also if the owner decides to go.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Viking, are NASA nationals at Mid Ohio? What month? thanks...
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I think as respectable adults here Mark, we should just agree, that we disagree.
Although I am open to productive discussion with others here.

Please come to Nationals ! I will have cars racing in GTS3 and GTS4 and I am working on another that could go in GTS5 also if the owner decides to go.
Here they give nice second place trophies ....
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:48 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Here they give nice second place trophies ....
I guess they do, I've never seen one, but I guess you have ???
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:51 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Viking, are NASA nationals at Mid Ohio? What month? thanks...
Yep, Sept. 8-11th.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1258
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:54 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I guess they do, I've never seen one, but I guess you have ???
No just "best infield viewing position" award....

Quick Reply: Testing at Thunderhill