Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

There we go! Nice article. kind of hits the nail on the head!

Mk

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
I can't believe you guys are still going.

Read this:

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Power...8/article.html

I'll visit again tomorrow to see if anything has changed.

Eric
Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 868 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
I can't believe you guys are still going.

Read this:

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Power...8/article.html

I'll visit again tomorrow to see if anything has changed.

Eric
Eric,

I will respond to you.

Yes, that article is spot on. Of course, they are dealing in facts and real world applications too. No one here arguing with "you know who" has disagreed with what that article has to say. Torque, at the wheel and not the engine, is what really matters.

The problem is that "you know who" lives in a world where RPMs never drop too far and the perfect gear is always at hand. In that world, area under the torque curve doesn't matter all that much. But, we live in a world where gearing isn't always perfect and RPMs sometimes drop more than we would like.

Scott
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Guys.....its safe to say I know Kibort as well as anyone here & I actually know him in PERSON + I have seen him drive...& he has raced in my car too (along with other skilled drivers)....I even watched the video of him racing for over two hours straight (per day) trying to find those 3 seconds he beat me by!!!!

Bottom line is this...we are all passionate about racing and want to go as fast as possible, all while staying within our budgets....sure some of our racing budgets have more zeros than some others....but I doubt anyone on this list can beat MK on a $$$ vs lap time challenge.....honestly probably the only one that has a shot is me, even though I am consistently 10 seconds per lap slower..but at a "lemons" price point, with far less power and tiny tires.....

If any of you drivers come out to the west coast (some of you live here) and want an apples to apples comparo I will offer my "estate" racer as the test bed and you can have a lap time challenge against Kibort (me too) on the same day..... Everyone drives the same car & I will video it....then the lap timer (amb) will tell the tale....the only thing I will "set" is an RPM limit of 6000...since all you make past 5500 is noise anyway.... Or if you want a non-928 test vehicle...I can arrange a spec miata for a very good price....

In summary......anyone can "checkbook race"....and the guy with the larger checkbook wins....car racing is the same....it is SO much easier to buy speed vs earn it through improved driving.... I can't beat anyone in checkbook racing, so I have to make the most of what I have!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 868 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Guys.....its safe to say I know Kibort as well as anyone here & I actually know him in PERSON + I have seen him drive...& he has raced in my car too (along with other skilled drivers)....I even watched the video of him racing for over two hours straight (per day) trying to find those 3 seconds he beat me by!!!!

Bottom line is this...we are all passionate about racing and want to go as fast as possible, all while staying within our budgets....sure some of our racing budgets have more zeros than some others....but I doubt anyone on this list can beat MK on a $$$ vs lap time challenge.....honestly probably the only one that has a shot is me, even though I am consistently 10 seconds per lap slower..but at a "lemons" price point, with far less power and tiny tires.....

If any of you drivers come out to the west coast (some of you live here) and want an apples to apples comparo I will offer my "estate" racer as the test bed and you can have a lap time challenge against Kibort (me too) on the same day..... Everyone drives the same car & I will video it....then the lap timer (amb) will tell the tale....the only thing I will "set" is an RPM limit of 6000...since all you make past 5500 is noise anyway.... Or if you want a non-928 test vehicle...I can arrange a spec miata for a very good price....

In summary......anyone can "checkbook race"....and the guy with the larger checkbook wins....car racing is the same....it is SO much easier to buy speed vs earn it through improved driving.... I can't beat anyone in checkbook racing, so I have to make the most of what I have!!!
The problem with Kibort has nothing to do with racing budgets or driving skill......

Scott
Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

work doesnt equal energy????

really.

can you explain that one?

Originally Posted by quickxotica
To save everyone the trouble of reading all that, here are the gems:

Happy Friday!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:59 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Ill take you to the the mat with the estate and Ill show you what flinging high powered DS is really all about!

Originally Posted by winders
The problem with Kibort has nothing to do with racing budgets or driving skill......

Scott
Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Ill take you to the the mat
Mark, please explain this. What does this mean, exactly?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaahhahaha
Old 04-09-2011, 12:27 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

That means he wants to roll around on the floor and get all hot and sweaty with you.
I think he likes you VR.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Ew.

Ew ew ew eeeew eeeeeeew!

Sorry, baby...I am NOT from Havana.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

work doesnt equal energy????

really.

can you explain that one?

And there he goes again.

Work DOES NOT equal energy. Energy and work use the same units because energy is the POTENTIAL to perform work. Tell me how a 10lb weight sitting 1 foot above the ground is performing WORK?

You just can't get over the need to make up your own world of physics.
Or maybe it confuses you because he didn't include 12 graphs and repost them over and over.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

Mark,

Work is a product of energy being expended
Work is NOT energy (contrary to what you wrote)
Likewise, energy is NOT work (as Sunday points out above)

I don't really care whether or not you feel differently. I just find it entertaining that you can write something like "Work is energy" a few lines after writing "everything I have posted is absolutely correct."

That's comedy gold right there...hence I quoted it.

I'm sure you're a great guy and a great driver. I'm sure we'll meet one of these days, and when we do I will shake your hand and be glad to have met you. It's just the way you interact with a keyboard and this web forum that is a source of amusement and frustration to me. And apparently I am not alone.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I thought I was clear about work being done with a change of state or form of energy.
(i.e. Potential to Kinetic, etc.)

"energy of a body is the measure of the capacity of the body to do work. Its a scalar quantity and is measure in the same untis of work" (from any physics text)

This is why I like using power, which is a rate of doing work, and HP-seconds, because it is a unit measure of work. (Like joules)

Again, I was remembering the equations from long ago and here how they are related:

W=F X and F=ma and you have X=1/2at^2, so with v=at, you get
W= 1/2mv^2

So, this is the same as
KE=1/2mv^2
so,
W = KE

Work does equal kinetic energy. I dont think I said it was the same as, but if I did, i mis-spoke. I think I remeber saying that the units were the same as well.

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Mark,

Work is a product of energy being expended
Work is NOT energy (contrary to what you wrote)
Likewise, energy is NOT work (as Sunday points out above)

I don't really care whether or not you feel differently. I just find it entertaining that you can write something like "Work is energy" a few lines after writing "everything I have posted is absolutely correct."

That's comedy gold right there...hence I quoted it.

I'm sure you're a great guy and a great driver. I'm sure we'll meet one of these days, and when we do I will shake your hand and be glad to have met you. It's just the way you interact with a keyboard and this web forum that is a source of amusement and frustration to me. And apparently I am not alone.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited by mark kibort; 04-10-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Really???
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Really???
Yes, Mark, really. What did you mean by it?

Quick Reply: Testing at Thunderhill