Sponsored by:

SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
That ride height just sucks up front. 95 mm is more like it.... The 997 Koni cars are heavy (3000 w/out driver) and have to run those crappy shocks and POS tires. Yes they put out 330 rwhp or more, but they're limited by their shocks, tires, ride height, tiny wing, and weight. I'd love to strip one down to 2800 w/driver and all the right stuff to see how they would perform. As they're spec'd now my little 3.4 w/270rwhp turns faster laps with a amateur driver (me!). Imagine what one could do @ 2800 lbs. with slicks and a pro driver....

Very good points John. Its also probably a big reason they go with the softer springs, a stiffer one would overheat those DOT's pretty quickly.
Maybe someday in the near future we will be stripping 997's instead of 996's and Box's.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:03 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it was very helpfull. As my poor stock H class 3.4 needs to run at 3060 lbs with driver (currently my pig is heavier)... So it gives me a good idea that my car is not that far off mark. Especially sense I run crappy shocks, (no JRZ or Moton's here), MPSC's & NO Wing (even after I'll still only have the Aero wing on the car)... but still can turn sub 2.10's at WGI consistantly.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:39 PM
coinboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Globe,
I do not have wing envy anymore!
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by coinboy
Hey Globe,
I do not have wing envy anymore!
Sweet! It's a pretty nice piece of kit, isn't it? I think you're going to like how it works.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by mglobe
Sweet! It's a pretty nice piece of kit, isn't it? I think you're going to like how it works.
Good day today MG ! Glad we finally made that change and you got to see the difference. Remember to send me the data info and I'll review it and call you tomorrow with the needed adjustments and then you can tell me your results.

Have a great day tomorrow !
Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Good day today MG ! Glad we finally made that change and you got to see the difference. Remember to send me the data info and I'll review it and call you tomorrow with the needed adjustments and then you can tell me your results.

Have a great day tomorrow !
Crap, I left my Traqmate at the track and never got around to downloading the data. If I have time, I'll try to pull some data in the morning. The car is pretty hooked up!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Mike, the glare off of your new rear window was blinding this afternoon - much more so than the glass windows. Clever design!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Mike, the glare off of your new rear window was blinding this afternoon - much more so than the glass windows. Clever design!
Stay in front of me and it won't be a problem.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep'em all behind you
Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 886 Posts

Crap, I left my Traqmate at the track and never got around to downloading the data. If I have time, I'll try to pull some data in the morning. The car is pretty hooked up!
Uh...yeah....hooked up doesn't adequately describe it. I had the pleasure of driving Mike's car on Saturday, and it was, in a word, FANTASTIC. And then I had the pleasure of driving Coinboy's brother in law's car this morning (the one from California that JR Gordon knows) and it was also fantastic, with a bit less front end grip. Thanks to both of you!!!!

I think these cars and this class is gonna be a real winner. I am very excited for those competing in it & planning to compete in it.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-05-2010, 11:00 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Uh...yeah....hooked up doesn't adequately describe it. I had the pleasure of driving Mike's car on Saturday, and it was, in a word, FANTASTIC. And then I had the pleasure of driving Coinboy's brother in law's car this morning (the one from California that JR Gordon knows) and it was also fantastic, with a bit less front end grip. Thanks to both of you!!!!

I think these cars and this class is gonna be a real winner. I am very excited for those competing in it & planning to compete in it.

Viking has done a fantastic job of setting up my car. It's come a long ways from where it was when I first started with it. Glad you got to enjoy it Dave!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:58 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

What tires was Coinboys brother on ? Heat cycles ?
Dave, I made a change on MG's car late Saturday and he said it got even better grip ! More to come.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:59 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Viking has done a fantastic job of setting up my car. It's come a long ways from where it was when I first started with it. Glad you got to enjoy it Dave!
Thank you,
I am a humble servant.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
What tires was Coinboys brother on ? Heat cycles ?
Dave, I made a change on MG's car late Saturday and he said it got even better grip ! More to come.

R1's. Not sure the heat cycles. IMO it was a bunch...they were not new. Plus it was first of the morning yesterday, 41 degrees. So decent engine power but horrid grip.

Good to hear. I was very impressed with it when I drove it prior to those changes, although I wished I had talked with you about the particularites of that LSD, since my ignorance of how to properly use it killed at least a second & maybe a second and a half. When I drove the black one, I used the diff much better !!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

R1's. Not sure the heat cycles. IMO it was a bunch...they were not new. Plus it was first of the morning yesterday, 41 degrees. So decent engine power but horrid grip.

Good to hear. I was very impressed with it when I drove it prior to those changes, although I wished I had talked with you about the particularites of that LSD, since my ignorance of how to properly use it killed at least a second & maybe a second and a half. When I drove the black one, I used the diff much better !!

I think that's the diff out of my 6-cup unless it was recently switched. I don't think Vali ever changed the clutches so I'd sure check the torque....

Quick Reply: SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"