2010 Korean Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:55 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
...Did you ask Prost if he felt that his own teammate would not take him out?...As someone else in this thread said, if what happened in Japan in 1990 happened today, Senna would be penalized and probably suspended.
No I've never asked him that, however Prost said that by the time he saw him it was too late. I asked him if that meant that it was too late to protect or to avoid him, he just smiled. Senna didn't want an accident he just wanted by.

Senna was penalised $100,000 and received a 6-month suspended Superlicense suspension for the 1989 incident and nothing for 1990...which makes no sense.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
Being a Fernando Alonso fan, I was excited to see him win at Korea. More impressive was the drive by Schumacher, who finished off the podium in 4th place..
Never knew there were 4 steps on the podium?

Just like to say that I thought Webber really 'manned up' to his error in Korea. He was very close to winning pole which would/could have spelled a different result. He has come out and publicly stated that not only was the crash his fault completely, but also that he stuffed up in a few other places preceding the accident. He also didn't blame the conditions one bit.

I am now feeling like he may have let the WDC slip through his fingers, but applaud his straightforward nature and calling a spade a spade. Don't think his sense of self depracation is shared through the entire grid. Bravo!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
...Just like to say that I thought Webber really 'manned up' to his error in Korea. He was very close to winning pole which would/could have spelled a different result. He has come out and publicly stated that not only was the crash his fault completely, but also that he stuffed up in a few other places preceding the accident. He also didn't blame the conditions one bit.

I am now feeling like he may have let the WDC slip through his fingers, but applaud his straightforward nature and calling a spade a spade. Don't think his sense of self depracation is shared through the entire grid. Bravo!
+1 and same can be said about Vettel. He could've ripped that POS engine apart after the DNF but took it calm and no finger pointing etc.

Also, regarding Red Bull being so "dumb" for not having team orders: I don't think they still do that since Seb has mathematical chance.
Red Bull is not your typical corporate type F1 team such as for example Ferrari is. They're loose company making all kind of stunts, crazy promotions etc. etc. and to do something that's not sportsmanship, which team orders obviously aren't, doesn't seem like they're style.

I believe Dietrich (sp?) is much happier even if they loose, because then they've created again publicity and done something good for the "sport" again.
Just think how many times media, fans etc. have talked about Red Bull because they allow their drivers race, resulting in crashing etc. and also look at the pad publicity Ferrari got (for a reason) for their actions in Germany.

Somehow this crazy millionaire who organizes people jumping to a roof of a building AND down with a motorcycle in Las Vegas, doesn't seem that type of a guy and I applaud him for that.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Back on topic...what happened to Button? I would've thought those conditions would've favored his smooth style...
You would think, but if the McLaren could not get heat in the tires with Hamilton driving, Button was in big trouble. Plus that pit stop was ill timed, and after languishing in the back for a while, I think that he probably realized that his day, and year, was over.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Somehow this crazy Billionaire who organizes people jumping to a roof of a building AND down with a motorcycle in Las Vegas, doesn't seem that type of a guy and I applaud him for that.
Fixed it for you...

It still looks like RBR and Newey can win the WCC, which many say mean more to a team than an individual WDC.

I hope so, since Newey designed an incredible car straight out of the box.

There was a rumor floating about that if Newey could win a WCC for RBR, Dietrich was going to buy him his own island.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What a shame Nico's race was cut short. But the second biggest fail (after Weebo's of course) was Hamilton getting it wrong after one of the restates and thus allowing Alonso to regain the position that he'd lost during the lengthy pit stop. It would've been nice to see a Hamilton/Alonso battle.
+1.
The way the race turned out, it would have been interesting to see Alonso pressure Hamilton. Also, Hamilton's tires were much worse towards the end and Alonso seemed to do a better job with his tires. Hamilton is very good in the rain, so it was somewhat of a surprised. I am sure we will see them duke it out in the future, now that they are both on a level playing field.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickmdz
+100

It's amazing how different opinions can be, on this particular case amazes me those that blame the accident on Senna. If anything, Prost was the one to blame, see the video and you will see he tries too late to close the door, Ayrton had more than half car in when Prost turns into him, but too late. If ayrton was not there he would be too early for the right hander turn in, then clearly his move was to block the pass, but again too late because Ayrton was already there... oh well guess will never agree.

After looking at the video, it is very clear as you said, if Senna wasn't there, Prost would have ended on grass. It was too early to turn.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
In looking at that on board shot, Senna's move was a bit optimistic to come from so far back to try and out brake in that chicane. Once again, many will not agree, but some others will.
Are you kidding me? The door was left open by Prost and Prost turned in too early. Prost would have looked like a fool if Senna wasn't there. He would have missed his turn in by almost 20 ft (too early). How can this be argued?
It is clear from the video.
I have not spoken to either one and was too young to follow F1, but the video's show it all.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Also, Hamilton's tires were much worse towards the end and Alonso seemed to do a better job with his tires.
This is precisely what I meant by 'mechanical sympathy.' Hamilton is fast and immensely talented, but his choppy style in the turns is harder on the tires than Alonso's more planted way of driving.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Also, Alonso was holding back his car to save this tires. Speed coverage shared some communications between Alonso and his chief engineer where he was told to pull back a little on certain turns.
BTW, check out the new thread I just posted. It could put a few people in a state of depression.
Oh Lewis, where are you???? lol
Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You would think, but if the McLaren could not get heat in the tires with Hamilton driving, Button was in big trouble. Plus that pit stop was ill timed, and after languishing in the back for a while, I think that he probably realized that his day, and year, was over.
Completely agree!

I took it as Button to be the one on experimental strategy.

At the front, typically, 2nd and 3rd position follows the leader. If the leader stays out, then do the same. Leader pits? -- follow the leader.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
This is precisely what I meant by 'mechanical sympathy.' Hamilton is fast and immensely talented, but his choppy style in the turns is harder on the tires than Alonso's more planted way of driving.
You must've never seen Alonso's turn in...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
You must've never seen Alonso's turn in...
+1 Though he seemed to smooth out a bit over time. I always think he's gonna lose it the way he violently warms up the tires, too...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

WTF are you talking about?

Sit down before you hurt yourself.

Here's a little history lesson for some of you:
Too funny! Thanks for the insight! Amazing how little there is of that around here sometimes....
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Berger: Webber was trying to take out Alonso or Hamilton

27 October 2010
Former F1 winner and F1 team owner Gerhard Berger has claimed Mark Webber knew exactly what he was doing when he collected Nico Rosberg after crashing out of the Korean Grand Prix on Sunday - although he believes the Aussie was aiming for someone else, namely one of his title rivals.

Webber had gone into the seventeenth round in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, leading the title race, 14 points up on Fernando Alonso. However his mistake in the early stages when he got caught out by the tricky conditions cost him dear. He now drops to second in the standings, 11 points off the top.

Speaking to Servus TV, Berger said Webber could easily have avoided coming back onto the track after hitting the wall.

"He could have hit the brakes and stopped the car at the wall," said Berger, who raced in F1 from 1984-1997, winning ten grand’s prix during spells with teams such as McLaren, Ferrari and Benetton. "He took out [Nico] Rosberg, but it was the wrong one. I think in his mind he would have preferred Alonso or [Lewis] Hamilton.

“It was very clear [what he was trying to do]. He goes off and he knows it's over. In this moment you're frustrated and a thousand thoughts go through your head. It's very obvious, you can see his wheels are not locked up. Perhaps he had a brake problem, but I don't think so."

Rosberg, who had fought his way up to fourth in his Mercedes, was similarly suspicious: "I don't understand why Webber didn't hit the brakes. It was crazy to roll back across the track like that.

“It was really difficult to judge which way Mark's car would go and I took the decision to go left but he spun more and more that way and I just couldn't avoid him. It's a real shame," Rosberg added.

Quick Reply: 2010 Korean Grand Prix