2010 Korean Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
It's 10 grid spots for an engine change and 5 for gearbox.

Everyone will get a new engine for Abu Dabui
Say what?

28.4 a) Each driver may use no more than eight engines during a Championship season. Should a driver use more than eight engines he will drop ten places on the starting grid at the first Event during which each additional engine is used. If two such additional engines are used during a single Event the driver concerned will drop ten places on the starting grid at that Event and at the following Event.

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Good banter and I can say I agree (and disagree) with all of it...

The one thing that I cannot understand is what a poor track design Korea is..
The golden boy designs a track for multi million euros that :
1. Is too narrow
2. Can't drain worth a dam because it's in part built on a freekin swamp...
3. Has one section with just straights and 2 sections with virtually no place to pass
4. Has what has to be the worst pit entrance in all of F1
5. Has the worst apex design I've ever seen...

Let's hope that TX is better that this POS.
I agree and have not high hopes for Texas... The layout doesn't look that bad but based on what Tilke tracks are (except Turkey which is good), he just can't make a real, good, track. Korea is the latest example.

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Ever heard of 'mechanical sympathy'? It's what it takes to hold a car together through grueling conditions, again and again and again.

Historically there have been many 'fast and furious' drivers like Vettel and Hamilton who were hugely talented but couldn't hold a car together long enough to win WDC.

It's the drivers with mechanical sympathy, or the ability to preserve their cars while driving competitively, who end up winning and making their mark on the sport.

That's a lot more than earning their points. It's called racing. Too bad you can't see the forest for the trees.
Sorry Luis but while this was true back in the day when there was no computer controlled flappy paddle gearboxes, computer controlled over rev protectors etc. etc. etc., in today's F1, you practically can't do damage by doing something wrong.
Granted, you can drive in 1st gear all day and it will blow but nobody is doing that. They all take it easy and lover the revs when they can but since there are no miss-shifts, over revs etc., your "mechanical sympathy" is not valid anymore.

You think all those mechanical problems Alonso had in the beginning of the season were because he was less "mechanically sympathetic" or is Ferrari maybe now more reliable because FIA allowed them to do "reliability changes"?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Thankfully my DVR didn't record to the end of the race, so I was spared from having to witness the final result.
Oh look, who came out. Did you have your coffeee yet Lewis? I know where you have been the last few days. Shopping I suppose? Getting all your luggage together for that long hiatus you promised us all.
You might as well book your flight.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This track sets a new low point for F1. Especially for what it cost....
Old 10-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Sorry Luis but while this was true back in the day when there was no computer controlled flappy paddle gearboxes, computer controlled over rev protectors etc. etc. etc., in today's F1, you practically can't do damage by doing something wrong.
Granted, you can drive in 1st gear all day and it will blow but nobody is doing that. They all take it easy and lover the revs when they can but since there are no miss-shifts, over revs etc., your "mechanical sympathy" is not valid anymore.
Again, I'm not talking about mechanical problems, but driving competitively while preserving equipment. This includes basic wear items like tires, gearboxes, etc. Every driver is different here. Some are better at preserving their equipment than others. This is 'mechanical sympathy.'
Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Oh look, who came out..
Didn't watch the race until last night, so I avoided the spoiler thread.

Did you have your coffeee yet Lewis?
Don't drink coffee and I can no longer drink tea ... but I had a bottle of water.

I know where you have been the last few days..
Other moderating duties, chasing spammers, breaking up fights, etc..

Shopping I suppose? Getting all your luggage together for that long hiatus you promised us all. You might as well book your flight.
Just have to draft a quick note to the Admin and send it as soon as the season is over.
Bags are packed and I'm ready to go, as promised.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I do have to congratulate Luca. He is quite the businessman, paying a $100K fine in exchange for enough points to likely secure the WDC was brilliant.

I just hope Alonso wins the WDC by more than the # of points that were purchased from Massa by the team.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I do have to congratulate Luca. He is quite the businessman, paying a $100K fine in exchange for enough points to likely secure the WDC was brilliant.

I just hope Alonso wins the WDC by more than the # of points that were purchased from Massa by the team.
How bitter can you get. Sheesh.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

Actually, I think it will bother you more if the points are less than what the move over gave. So, as much as I would love to see it wrapped up next weekend, the joy of it being within 7 points would make it priceless.
You obviously had no reponse to my post about how team orders were in place prior and how Alonso was not allowed to race Massa earlier in the yr.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
How bitter can you get. Sheesh.
You have no idea how bitter he can get. He is in complete denial as well. This whole thing is about to explode in his face now. He talked the talk, maybe it will be time to walk the walk..
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

He talked the talk, maybe it will be time to walk the walk..
I already said I would.

I have lost all faith in humanity, fairness, even watching a butterfly float by on a sunny day suddenly seems depressing.

I would rather witness Danica hoist the Borg Warner trophy while pole dancing in a milk drenched T-shirt on the yard of bricks than witness Alonso winning the WDC this season.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,343 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Sato FWIW
Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I soldiered on this season when I learned that Taku didn't get the Lotus seat, but this is just too much to bear.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,343 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Don't give up the ship just yet. There are 2 more races to run and still unmolested carbon fiber in this world!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
...I would rather witness Danica hoist the Borg Warner trophy while pole dancing in a milk drenched T-shirt on the yard of bricks than witness Alonso winning the WDC this season.

OK, I think I get it: You are NOT Alonso's number-one fan after all?

That is some pretty funny imagery though!

Quite an eventful race. Alonso drove perfectly, and Vettel was excellent as well, but he didn't have good luck.

It was too bad to see Nico taken out, as he was very well placed. Hamilton was solid and kept himself in it. Button's race unwound itself with that first stop and he really is an outsider now. This has been a to-and-fro championship and to my mind, any of those top four would make deserving champions.

Looking forward to the last two races!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Bwaaaaaay Lewis ... LOL.............

A little back to the future .............................

In the wake of Jenson Button's world championship victory last season, I asked an engineer at his Brawn team, which morphed into Mercedes over the winter, what he thought about the prospect of Fernando Alonso in a Ferrari.

"Worrying," was his reply.

It was a view shared by many in Formula 1, whose participants are well aware of what a formidable competitor the Spaniard is, and of the power and potential of Ferrari.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewben...rows_down.html

Quick Reply: 2010 Korean Grand Prix