Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Korean Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Since a DNF by FA would practically be game over for this season, wouldnt it be prudent to change his engine and take the 5 spot penalty with a view to reliability? A podium would still be likely. This scenario applies to the other podium frequent fliers too.
Can they change the engine after qualifying?

If Alonso qualifies 1 or 2, then I think an overnight change to a fresh engine may be strong consideration... but I bet that the engineers understand the stresses involved and the chances of grenading... if we understood that data, perhaps we would see the choice differently... at this point, I wouldn't change an engine and hope it hangs on.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Since a DNF by FA would practically be game over for this season, wouldnt it be prudent to change his engine and take the 5 spot penalty with a view to reliability? A podium would still be likely. This scenario applies to the other podium frequent fliers too.
It's 10 grid spots for an engine change and 5 for gearbox.

Everyone will get a new engine for Abu Dabui
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,343 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I'm going with the high-probability call: Schumacher will hit somebody in Korea.
Yea, how did that work out for you yestereday?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Geez, Red Bull did everything they could to get Schumacher a podium, gifting him three places. Thank heavens it wasn't enough.
The sea of myopia runs deep. Yes, two DNFs by the Red Bulls only helped Schumacher, but not Alonso because it only gifted him 2 spots from 3rd to 1st.

Carry on with your great posts. We laugh at all of them in unison.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:26 AM
JHowell37
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Horner still refuses to pick one driver to back for the WDC. No one cares about the constructor's title. In the end, this will go down as a case study on how failures in management ****** defeat from the jaws of victory.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
The sea of myopia runs deep. Yes, two DNFs by the Red Bulls only helped Schumacher, but not Alonso because it only gifted him 2 spots from 3rd to 1st.

No worries Pete. You've hitched your wagon to an admirable human being and a true gentlemen, not to mention a past his sell-by date driver.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

He may be past his prime, but there is little doubt he IS a great human being.....

The son of a builder from Kerpen, near Cologne, has donated almost £30 million to projects around the world in the past four years alone and, if motor racing fails to hold its allure when he hangs up his helmet at the end of the Formula One season, it is thought that he might plough his considerable wealth into a full-time foundation.

Ferrari’s seven-time world champion has worked for the United Nations charity since 1995, and his previous donations have helped build schools and clinics.

For instance, Schumacher donated $10 million, which represents about 10 percent of his annual income, to UNICEF to the relief effort following Boxing Day’s devastating tsunami disaster in south Asia. The German’s pledge, announced by agent Willi Weber on a German TV fundraiser for the UN Children’s Fund and German Red Cross, is the biggest so far in the world of sport, and possibly of any individual.

Schumacher has been a substantial donor to charities for the last eight years notably with UNESCO and UNICEF including funding a school in Dakar (Senegal), a clinic in Sarajevo and a centre for street children in Lima, Peru. He has also been involved in work in his role as a UNICEF ambassador.

“If you put them on the right track, everyone will benefit,” Schumacher said earlier this year. “But if they take the wrong road, if they don’t have any opportunities, they’ll have a difficult life and cause trouble for everyone around them.”

Read more: http://www.looktothestars.org/news/1...#ixzz13N7Wp6jd
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JHowell37
Horner still refuses to pick one driver to back for the WDC. No one cares about the constructor's title. In the end, this will go down as a case study on how failures in management ****** defeat from the jaws of victory.
It's happened before, circa 2007 with McLaren .
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Wow, what a fun race! Very exciting!! Glad I wasn't watching it live otherwise I'd probably still be watching it
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PPo
Can they change the engine after qualifying?

If Alonso qualifies 1 or 2, then I think an overnight change to a fresh engine may be strong consideration... but I bet that the engineers understand the stresses involved and the chances of grenading... if we understood that data, perhaps we would see the choice differently... at this point, I wouldn't change an engine and hope it hangs on.
I don't think you can qualify the car and then change the engine, because the cars are in parc ferme condition. An engine change after qualifying, but before the race, should put him at the back of the grid or from the pit lane, but I'm no racing attorney.

Anyone know?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
I don't think you can qualify the car and then change the engine, because the cars are in parc ferme condition. An engine change after qualifying, but before the race, should put him at the back of the grid or from the pit lane, but I'm no racing attorney.

Anyone know?
You can't use more than one engine for 2 consecutive races (unless you crash the car and the engine is StrekStrekStrekStreked). If you change the engine before quali it's a 10 grid penalty. If after, you go to the back of the grid.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that was kinda crazy with all the delaying etc.

Awesome result for Alonso & Ferrari, both championships are still wide open, should be exiting which is awesome for all fans no matter who in the end wins.

Great drive from Vettel & Alonso, both did no mistakes and Vettel even got the pole (was great quali too!) but bad luck and got no reward for his work and Alonso benefited.
25 seems to much for Vettel at this point but you never know.

Webber... What a major mistake, he's still very close but that really was costly and he was the one who didn't need to push but play safe. And then taking out Rosberg too, WTF was that? Shame for Nico, up until that point, he had a great weekend.

Sutil made it interesting too, as Chris said, safety car might've been the only one on track who he didn't hit.
And Petrov... It seems Renault wants to have someone in their 2nd seat just to screw up and crash... I know Russians have a lot of money but is it enough?

Can't wait for next race!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

He may be past his prime, but there is little doubt he IS a great human being.....

The son of a builder from Kerpen, near Cologne, has donated almost £30 million to projects around the world in the past four years alone and, if motor racing fails to hold its allure when he hangs up his helmet at the end of the Formula One season, it is thought that he might plough his considerable wealth into a full-time foundation.

Ferrari’s seven-time world champion has worked for the United Nations charity since 1995, and his previous donations have helped build schools and clinics.

For instance, Schumacher donated $10 million, which represents about 10 percent of his annual income, to UNICEF to the relief effort following Boxing Day’s devastating tsunami disaster in south Asia. The German’s pledge, announced by agent Willi Weber on a German TV fundraiser for the UN Children’s Fund and German Red Cross, is the biggest so far in the world of sport, and possibly of any individual.

Schumacher has been a substantial donor to charities for the last eight years notably with UNESCO and UNICEF including funding a school in Dakar (Senegal), a clinic in Sarajevo and a centre for street children in Lima, Peru. He has also been involved in work in his role as a UNICEF ambassador.

“If you put them on the right track, everyone will benefit,” Schumacher said earlier this year. “But if they take the wrong road, if they don’t have any opportunities, they’ll have a difficult life and cause trouble for everyone around them.”

Read more: http://www.looktothestars.org/news/1...#ixzz13N7Wp6jd
No question he's the David Simms of F1.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

We... Still have that mouse in your pocket............

Vettel will not be given support role

By Simon Strang Sunday, October 24th 2010, 11:09 GMT

Red Bull will not ask Sebastian Vettel to play a supporting role in Mark Webber's quest to win the Formula 1 World Championship title, despite the German's own chances slimming when he suffered an engine failure in the Korean Grand Prix.

Vettel was forced to retire from the lead of the race, and whereas victory would have given him the world championship lead, he is now fourth in the standings, 25 points behind Fernando Alonso and 14 behind team-mate Webber.

But Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said it was too early for Vettel to give up on his own challenge, and that things could turn around quickly just as they had in Yeongam - where Webber began the race as the points leader before crashing out.

Yes!!!

Good move Christian, tighten dem training wheels, the Spaniard is on the move ..

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-25-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Webber... What a major mistake, he's still very close but that really was costly and he was the one who didn't need to push but play safe. And then taking out Rosberg too, WTF was that? Shame for Nico, up until that point, he had a great weekend.
I think Webber was aiming for Alonso when he backed out of the wall and on to the track

And yeah, too bad for Rosberg. Both he and Schumacher drove really well after the race was finally green flagged.

Sutil made it interesting too, as Chris said, safety car might've been the only one on track who he didn't hit.
And Petrov... It seems Renault wants to have someone in their 2nd seat just to screw up and crash... I know Russians have a lot of money but is it enough?
The BBC commentators actually calculated that despite all the Russian sponsorship money Renault is worse off with Petrov because of his poor performance. If Renault had a more seasoned driver who was at (or slightly below) Kubica's level they'd make more money from championship points than they've collected so far from the Russian oligarchs.

Can't wait for next race!

Quick Reply: 2010 Korean Grand Prix