Sponsored by:

FIA investigating deliberate crash to promote Alonso to race win

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohhhhh crap , this is a done deal , good work Ray and good show by Nelsonho , at least he has the ***** to put his in print , Barrichello never wrote the inner secrets book he promised , i hope this motivates him I'm sure all those years at Ferrari would make a Duesy .........

I really love this part :

At the time of this conversation I was in a very fragile and emotional state of mind

GMAFB who told him to say this , Pete ......

At no point was I told by anyone that by agreeing to cause an incident, I would be guaranteed a renewal of my contract or any other advantage. However, in the context, I thought that it would be helpful in achieving this goal. I therefore agreed to cause the incident.

Hmm this could be another clue , no quid pro quo ....

After the meeting with Mr. Symonds and Mr. Briatore, Mr. Symonds took me aside to a quiet corner and, using a map, pointed me to the exact corner of the track where I should crash. This corner was selected because the specific location of the track did not have any cranes that would allow a damaged car to be swiftly lifted off the track, nor did it have any side entrances to the track, which would allow a Safety Marshall to quickly move the damaged car away from the track. Therefore, it was felt that a crash in this specific position would be nearly certain to cause an obstruction on the track which would thus necessitate the deployment of a safety car in order to allow the track to be cleared and to ensure the safe continuation of the race.

10. Mr. Symonds also told me which exact lap to cause the incident upon, so that a strategy could deployed for my team-mate Mr. Fernando Alonso to refuel at the pit shortly before the deployment of the safety car, which he indeed did during lap twelve. The key to this strategy resided in the fact that the near-knowledge that the safety car would be deployed in lap thirteen/fourteen allowed the Team to start Mr. Alonso's car with an aggressive fuel strategy using a light car containing enough fuel to arrive at lap twelve, but not much more. This would allow Mr. Alonso to overtake as many (heavier) cars as possible, knowing that those cars would have difficulty catching up with him later in the race due to the later deployment of the safety car. This strategy was successful and Mr. Alonso won the 2008 Formula One Grand Prix of Singapore.

Yes i can see Symonds explaining in total detail why they are choosing this strategy , laying everything out to PK as to why 12 and not 14 etc , Alonso aggressive fuel load , Massa fuel rig messup , make sure you hit the wall here and not here , the practice spin ... yada,yada,yada ..

16. In my own team, the engineer of my car questioned the nature of the incident because he found it unusual, and I replied that I had lost control of the car. I believe that a clever engineer would notice from the car's telemetry that I caused the incident on purpose as I continued accelerating, whereas a "normal" reaction would be to brake as soon as possible.

Excuse me Nelsonho , i found something unusual about your spin , usually and more specifically the last 32 times you spun you did it this way ...

Ross I thought you said to do it like we used to at Benetton :
Attached Images  

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-10-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Try to follow along Wayne. I've highlighted and underscored items for you.

'Piquet Singapore crash result of pre-race meeting'
10 September 2009

Reports on Thursday have suggested that Nelson Piquet's race-ending crash in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix was believed to have taken place following a pre-race meeting between the Brazilian and Renault team chiefs Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds.

A Singapore disqualification for Renault would hand victory to Nico Rosberg and Williams
The French team will go before the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) on Monday 21 September as it remains under investigation for causing a deliberate crash in order benefit the team's other driver, Fernando Alonso, thanks to the deployment of the Safety Car in Singapore City.

Piquet's car spun and hit the Turn 17 wall to retire on Lap 14, with the Safety Car immediately being brought out as a consequence. Alonso, who had already made his first pit-stop after starting 15th, then inherited the lead as the previous leaders were forced to travel at slower speeds behind the Safety Car whilst waiting for the pit lane to open. FACT

Reports claim that Piquet was feeling 'uncomfortable' inside the Renault team
Autosport reports on Thursday, however, that a meeting between Piquet, Briatore (Team Principal and Manager to the driver) and Symonds (Executive Director of Engineering) planned the event shortly before the start of the race. Furthermore, Piquet is believed to have accepted the plan due to feeling 'uncomfortable' over his future with the team and lacking a 2009 race contract at the time. Motive
The reports claim that Piquet, whose relationship with the Enstone outfit ended in disrepute this season, was instructed to crash on either Lap 13 or 14, a few minutes after Alonso's pit-stop When; in addition, Turn 17 is also believed to have been pointed out as a crash location due to the lack of cranes for lifting the car out of harm's way, ensuring the Safety Car would come out. Location

Renault will go before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Monday 21 September
The claims go on to state that Piquet contacted FIA President Max Mosley of the sequence of events on Sunday 26 July 2009 - the day of the driver's last race for Renault in Hungary. "I confirm the meeting with Piquet on Sunday morning but nothing like that was ever talked about," quotes from Briatore (DENIAL BY BRIATORE OF TALKING ABOUT ANY CRASH SCENARIO) read. "I also remember that Piquet at Singapore was in a very fragile state of mind. (FLAVA FLAV'S SPIN ON THE PSYCHE OF SOMEONE ELSE) Besides that, there are the audio recordings where I express disappointment when I see on the screens that Piquet had crashed."

"It's true, during the Sunday meeting with Piquet the issue of deliberately causing a SC deployment came up, but it was proposed by Piquet himself," Symonds is believed to have said. (SYMONDS CONTRADICTS FLAVA FLAV'S STATEMENT THAT A CRASH SCENARIO DID NOT COME UP, BUT CLAIMS THAT IT WAS PIQUETS IDEA ALL ALONG) "It was just a conversation." Autosport also reports on Thursday that race winner Fernando Alonso knew nothing of the supposed arrangement. (NATURALLY)
Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is going to get ugly for Renault. You'd think they would get their stories straight at least. Two different versions coming from within the team does not look good.

However, if in fact both Nelsons made an attempt to contact FIA authorities with this in the same time period and it was overlooked, then it's even worse for the FIA. And they'll likely shove it under the rug somehow.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Try to follow along Wayne. I've highlighted and underscored items for you.

Renault will go before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Monday 21 September
The claims go on to state that Piquet contacted FIA President Max Mosley of the sequence of events on Sunday 26 July 2009 - the day of the driver's last race for Renault in Hungary. "I confirm the meeting with Piquet on Sunday morning but nothing like that was ever talked about," quotes from Briatore (DENIAL BY BRIATORE OF TALKING ABOUT ANY CRASH SCENARIO) read. "I also remember that Piquet at Singapore was in a very fragile state of mind. (FLAVA FLAV'S SPIN ON THE PSYCHE OF SOMEONE ELSE) Besides that, there are the audio recordings where I express disappointment when I see on the screens that Piquet had crashed."

"It's true, during the Sunday meeting with Piquet the issue of deliberately causing a SC deployment came up, but it was proposed by Piquet himself," Symonds is believed to have said. (SYMONDS CONTRADICTS FLAVA FLAV'S STATEMENT THAT A CRASH SCENARIO DID NOT COME UP, BUT CLAIMS THAT IT WAS PIQUETS IDEA ALL ALONG) "It was just a conversation." Autosport also reports on Thursday that race winner Fernando Alonso knew nothing of the supposed arrangement. (NATURALLY)
Pete show me where Symonds said dat .. Ohhh snap a reporter said it was believed that he said so ...

Sorry Pete another big investigative fail .............
Attached Images  

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-11-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:47 AM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Come on, dude! Piquet is flat out explaining how Renault cheated. There is no spin possible.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
This is going to get ugly for Renault. You'd think they would get their stories straight at least. Two different versions coming from within the team does not look good..
You are assuming that there is a Renault team.
Little Miss Sunshine isn't exactly a team builder.
I think we are seeing the beginning of 'every man for himself' over there.

Merry Christmas Ron Dennis.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
jmreiser
Instructor

Holy crap! It is hard to imagine how Renault can squirm their way out of this one, especially after the recent wheel-falling-off incident. They're all done. They might as well put the team up for sale right now. The only real question is whether they can or will continue to supply engines to other teams.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmreiser
Holy crap! It is hard to imagine how Renault can squirm their way out of this one, especially after the recent wheel-falling-off incident. They're all done. They might as well put the team up for sale right now. The only real question is whether they can or will continue to supply engines to other teams.
Here is how they plan to do it....

Renault launches lawsuit against Piquets
11 September 2009

Renault Managing Director Flavio Briatore has announced on Friday that the team is to launch legal proceedings against former driver Nelson Piquet Jr. and his triple World Champion father following the former's recent claims that he was forced into developing a plan to crash deliberately in last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

With Renault set to appear before the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) on Monday 21 September, Piquet has claimed that both Briatore and Executive Director of Engineering Pat Symonds advised him to crash on purpose in Singapore, causing the instant deployment of the Safety Car and helping team-mate Fernando Alonso to victory in the process.

'The FIA has announced that it is to hold an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council ('WMSC') on 21 September 2009,' a statement from the team reads. 'The ING Renault F1 Team is to attend that meeting and answer allegations that members of the team conspired with Nelson Piquet Jnr to cause a deliberate accident at the 2008 Singapore GP, so that Fernando Alonso might benefit from the resulting safety car.

The ING Renault F1 Team had not commented publicly during the FIA's initial investigation into this matter.

However, today the ING Renault F1 Team and its Managing Director Flavio Briatore personally, wish to state that they have commenced criminal proceedings against Nelson Piquet Junior and Nelson Piquet Senior (Manager to his son) in France concerning the making of false allegations and a related attempt to blackmail the team into allowing Mr Piquet Jnr to drive for the remainder of the 2009 season. The matter will also be referred to the Police in the UK.'
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
jmreiser
Instructor

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

They can try it, but I don't like their odds. Here goes Flavio's Last Stand. I wonder how they plan to erase the radio transmissions that have been referenced about when to do it, and the telemetry showing the driver staying on the gas throughout the spin.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

The Renault team is innocent after all! Apparently the infamous pre-race meeting from Singapore was recorded and the official trascript has been leaked to the media. Here it is:

PK: “Hey guys… I noticed you put Fernando onto a weird short strategy. I was kind of thinking… you know… what with this having been a rough season for Renault so far, how about I crash the car deliberately on, let’s say, lap 13 or 14?"

Symonds: “Good heavens! Why would you do that?”

PK: “Well, you know, Fernando will have to pit on lap 12, if I crash after that point, the rest of the field will be corked up behind the safety car and Fernando should have a good chance of finishing on the sharp end of the race.”

Symonds: “That’s preposterous!! How do you even know the safety car would come out?”

PK: “Because I would crash HERE…” [Nelson Piquet Jr. holds up a map of the circuit, pointing to the location he has in mind.]

Symonds: “Yeah… so?”

PK: [Sighing dramatically] “Don’t you get it? There are no cranes or openings for clearing the cars at that area of the track… a disabled car would guarantee a safety car!”

Symonds: “Wow, you’ve done your homework… However, I absolutely forbid you to do this.”

PK: “Why?”

Symonds: “Because that would be, well, CHEATING! We can’t cheat in F1! The integrity of the sport is what I and Flavio live for… The one thing even more important than that is the safety and well-being of the competitors, team members, officials and the public. A deliberate crash is a completely unacceptable idea.”

[Flavio Briatore comes walking over with his arm draped around a beautiful 18 year-old girl, err – I mean woman.]

FB: “Hey, did I hear the word “Cheating”?"

Symonds: “Oh, hello sir. Nelson and I were just discussing a hypothetical situation that will emphatically NOT be happening. However, in the interests of maintaining plausible deniability in the future, I cannot discuss the particulars of the conversation with you”

FB: “Well, OK. Sounds fine - as long as our organization in no way participates in any sort of shady activity. If you don’t have dignity and integrity, what do you have? Right babe?” [Flavio says this last part while staring into the eyes of his new female friend and giving her bum a squeeze…]

Symonds: “Thank you sir! Always a pleasure to strive to meet your moral and ethical standards!”

FB: “No problem man! Oh, can you double check that all the wheel nuts are in top notch condition? You know how important that is to me. I would hate to send a car out there with an improperly attached wheel. Of course, if that were ever to happen we’d bring the car straight back in, slowly, wouldn’t we?

Symonds: “Oh, yes sir!”
Old 09-11-2009, 11:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to witness it, does it make a sound?

If Renault leaves F1, will anyone notice nor care?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
The Renault team is innocent after all! Apparently the infamous pre-race meeting from Singapore was recorded and the official trascript has been leaked to the media. Here it is:

PK: “Hey guys… I noticed you put Fernando onto a weird short strategy. I was kind of thinking… you know… what with this having been a rough season for Renault so far, how about I crash the car deliberately on, let’s say, lap 13 or 14?"

PK: “Well, you know, Fernando will have to pit on lap 12, if I crash after that point, the rest of the field will be corked up behind the safety car and Fernando should have a good chance of finishing on the sharp end of the race.”

Symonds: “That’s preposterous!! How do you even know the safety car would come out?”

PK: “Because I would crash HERE…” [Nelson Piquet Jr. holds up a map of the circuit, pointing to the location he has in mind.]

PK: [Sighing dramatically] “Don’t you get it? There are no cranes or openings for clearing the cars at that area of the track… a disabled car would guarantee a safety car!”

Symonds: “Wow, you’ve done your homework… However, I absolutely forbid you to do this.”

Symonds: “Because that would be, well, CHEATING! We can’t cheat in F1! The integrity of the sport is what I and Flavio live for… The one thing even more important than that is the safety and well-being of the competitors, team members, officials and the public. A deliberate crash is a completely unacceptable idea.”

[Flavio Briatore comes walking over with his arm draped around a beautiful 18 year-old girl, err – I mean woman.]

Symonds: “Oh, hello sir. Nelson and I were just discussing a hypothetical situation that will emphatically NOT be happening. However, in the interests of maintaining plausible deniability in the future, I cannot discuss the particulars of the conversation with you”

FB: “Well, OK. Sounds fine - as long as our organization in no way participates in any sort of shady activity. If you don’t have dignity and integrity, what do you have? Right babe?” [Flavio says this last part while staring into the eyes of his new female friend and giving her bum a squeeze…]

Symonds: “Thank you sir! Always a pleasure to strive to meet your moral and ethical standards!”

FB: “No problem man! Oh, can you double check that all the wheel nuts are in top notch condition? You know how important that is to me. I would hate to send a car out there with an improperly attached wheel. Of course, if that were ever to happen we’d bring the car straight back in, slowly, wouldn’t we?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088

You're little skit really puts it in perspective.

Let me ask you a question. What do you think the conversation with Flavio, Alonso, and Symonds looked like?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

During practice today from Monza, Steve Matchett was talking about the mechanics and engineers up and down pit lane questioning the race results after the checkered flag in Singapore.

They couldn't believe Renault had put Alonso on such a light fuel load given the fact he was starting somewhere near 15th on the grid. Typically, you will go heavy from such a spot. They agreed that the scenario to move Alonso up the for the race win was perfectly executed. You had Alonso pit early, then the safety car out, but all the competitors could not come in because in 2008, the pit lane was closed until Charlie Whiting opened it. By that time, Alonso goes to the front of the pack and given that it's a street course, very difficult to pass on track.

Just saying...
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Piquet Immunity!!!

No one will ever give him another shot in an F1 car, but because Piquet was compliant in the order to crash (allegedly) he stood to be prosecuted as well and have FIA sanctions against him. Well, that has changed...

Piquet granted immunity in Renault case
11 September 2009

Nelson Piquet has received the protection of immunity from prosecution by Formula One governing body the FIA. The Brazilian is currently deeply involved in a scandal with ex-team Renault after claiming that chiefs Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds asked him to crash on purpose during last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

With the situation now dubbed 'Crashgate', Renault will face the FIA's World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) over the matter on Monday 21 September. Managing Director Briatore labelled Piquet's claims as 'outrageous' on Friday before confirming that the French marque is taking legal action towards its former driver, who was sacked after the Hungarian Grand Prix this season.

FIA President Max Mosley has explained, however, that Piquet does not face any punishment, providing that honest evidence is given. "Yes, we have said that to him," Mosley told The Times. "I don't know exactly how it was phrased but he has been told if he tells us the truth he will not be proceeded against."

Max Mosley, FIA President
In the event of Piquet being proven right, however, Mosley has warned that consequences for the team would be severe. "If, and it is a very big if, they are guilty, obviously it is very serious indeed," he continued. "It is not really for me to say whether it is as bad as the McLaren case ('Spygate', of 2007); that would be for the World Motor Sport Council. On the one side, one of the bad things about McLaren was that they did not tell the truth, so that went against them.

"But on the other hand, what is alleged to have been done here is probably more serious. As for any penalty, if you look at any other sport, if somebody fixes the result then it's usually taken seriously.

"Fixing is one degree worse than cheating, like if you're a cyclist and you take dope, that's cheating. If you bribe the other cyclists, or you get somebody to have a crash in the peloton so the yellow jersey guy crashes, that's more serious. Then if it puts human life at risk - whether it's the spectators, the marshals or the drivers - then it's more serious again. But I stress, until they put their defence in, we've got to assume they're innocent."

Quick Reply: FIA investigating deliberate crash to promote Alonso to race win