Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIA investigating deliberate crash to promote Alonso to race win

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

I don’t think Alonso is the key protagonist here. I suspect he knew something, but exactly what and when are not likely to be proven. At this stage, his reputation might take a ding and he won’t win any awards for forthrightness or integrity over this issue.

That said, much as he is not my favorite guy, I really do think he is the best f1 driver right now and Ferrari will be wise to get him in their car. I wonder if the lack of a definitive announcement from Ferrari is due to nervousness on their part as to whether Alonso might yet become ensnared in this saga.

Here is a very good summary article with a lot of detail on the leaked evidence, put together by Axis-of-oversteer:

http://axisofoversteer.com/blog/docu...%20Of%20PK.pdf
Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you think Little Miss Sunshine wondered why she was only fueled so light (12 laps) when starting 15th?

Completely devoid of character and integrity...she is one step away from putting the rabbit into the boiling water IMHO.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
I don’t think Alonso is the key protagonist here. I suspect he knew something, but exactly what and when are not likely to be proven. At this stage, his reputation might take a ding and he won’t win any awards for forthrightness or integrity over this issue.

That said, much as he is not my favorite guy, I really do think he is the best f1 driver right now and Ferrari will be wise to get him in their car. I wonder if the lack of a definitive announcement from Ferrari is due to nervousness on their part as to whether Alonso might yet become ensnared in this saga.

Here is a very good summary article with a lot of detail on the leaked evidence, put together by Axis-of-oversteer:

Great article. It would appear that Symonds is going to fall on his sword to protect Briatore.

With that I think Briatore and Alonso will both continue to claim that they had no knowledge of the "crash deal" between Nelson and Symonds (in spite of that fact that when you read those documents it certainly would appear that they both knew).

I'll disagree with you that FA is "the best f1 driver right now" and I think that Ferrari would be foolish to bring that toxic an individual into the team. However, they may be too far down the road with Santander to pull back on the Alonso decision now. Time will tell.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:46 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088

Yes pretty damning , the telemetry in itself does not tell the story , as it does show PK lifting and correcting the spin then nailing the throttle again . This is also a technique used to keep the car off the wall or reduce the impact to the wall by accelerating thru the spin ..
Old 09-14-2009, 04:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Do you think Little Miss Sunshine wondered why she was only fueled so light (12 laps) when starting 15th?

Completely devoid of character and integrity...she is one step away from putting the rabbit into the boiling water IMHO.
Don't be so hard on Stoolmacher , it did net him 7 wdc , setting precedence...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:57 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
Be interesting to see and compare all the telemetry data from Nelsinho's car from ALL his crashes.
That might take a long time
Old 09-14-2009, 05:07 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,122 Posts

I must say, it is quite curious that Ferrari did not make the "Big Announcement" they were suspected of doing this past weekend. And I'm not talking about the Santander deal as that was inked last winter.

The hearing on this matter is set for Sept. 21. So far, I don't see where Alonso is going to get his ***** caught in a vise. Maybe Ferrari knows something and they are waiting for the other shoe to drop in this hearing about Alonso's involvement, if any.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I must say, it is quite curious that Ferrari did not make the "Big Announcement" they were suspected of doing this past weekend. And I'm not talking about the Santander deal as that was inked last winter.

The hearing on this matter is set for Sept. 21. So far, I don't see where Alonso is going to get his ***** caught in a vise. Maybe Ferrari knows something and they are waiting for the other shoe to drop in this hearing about Alonso's involvement, if any.
I think Luca is ****ting his pants, looking for a conractual out clause.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Don't be so hard on Stoolmacher , it did net him 7 wdc , setting precedence...
Enough already.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Enough already.

Thank you.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
That might take a long time

Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is interesting....

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9931.html

Santander extends McLaren partnership McLaren announced on Monday an extension to the team’s corporate partnership with Santander, just days after the Spanish banking giant confirmed it will also be sponsoring Ferrari from 2010. The McLaren deal will see high-profile Santander branding present on the overalls of all four McLaren drivers.

“We are extremely pleased to have extended our hugely successful global Partnership with Santander,” said Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren team principal. “As one of the world’s leading banks with a significant presence in Europe, Brazil, Mexico, Chile and the United States and other countries, Santander is a great ‘fit’ with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and our triumphs on the global stage of Formula One.

“The year 2009 marks Santander’s third season of association with our sport, and during this time they have successfully title-sponsored three of the most prestigious and historic races: the British, German and Italian Grands Prix. We are very proud of our relationship with Santander and to be part of their ever-expanding Formula One involvement. We welcome, and wish them well with, their other activities - including, but not limited to, the afore-mentioned race sponsorships.”

Antonio Horta-Osorio, Abbey’s Chief Executive, commented: "Since its inauguration in 2007, our corporate partnership with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes has been extremely successful, especially in the UK, which is why we are delighted that we will continue to develop our alliance with the UK's number-one Formula One team for the benefit of our 20 million UK clients."

Hamilton added: “Some of the most enjoyable activities I have ever done off track during my Formula One career have been with Santander. Everything we do together is always thinking outside of the box, and I am looking forward to continuing that work together with them and the team. Over the past couple of years we have filmed some great TV ads - one of them turned me into an Airfix kit and then in the other I got to play on a life-sized Scalextric set! The Santander people are very cool and push home the value and strength of teamwork. With Santander I have also had the opportunity to attend some events in Spain. I love racing in Spain, too - Spanish motorsport fans are always so enthusiastic.”

Since the start of its relationship with McLaren in 2007, Santander has seen its brand awareness rise in the UK from 20 to 82 percent.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ray S
Hedging their bets?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,122 Posts
Default First Piquet and now Symonds have immunity. Guess who's going down?

Symonds exempt from FIA punishment
15 September 2009

Formula One governing body the FIA has granted Pat Symonds, Executive Director of Engineering at Renault, immunity in the controversial case surrounding race-fixing in last year's Singapore Grand Prix. Like driver Nelson Piquet, the Englishman will not receive a possible punishment of a lifetime ban from the sport providing that honest evidence is provided.

Piquet claims that both Symonds and Managing Director Flavio Briatore instructed the Brazilian to crash deliberately during the night race in order to encourage the deployment of the Safety Car in order to aid team-mate Fernando Alonso's race victory.

Symonds at Monza on Friday
The Spaniard duly took the chequered flag and Renault's first win of the year although Renault will attend an FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) hearing on Monday 21 September.

Providing the FIA feels a full and sincere description of events is provided by Symonds, he will not be charged with a lifetime ban from Formula One. The Times reports on Tuesday that the Englishman refused to answer initial questioning from an FIA advisor, pointing out the following quote: "I have no intention of lying to you. I have not lied to you, but I have reserved my position just a little."

It is believed that the FIA-appointed stewards from this year's Belgian Grand Prix have analysed the telemetry information of Piquet's car during the race, claiming that - having viewed the data - Piquet's claims are 'reasonable' and 'on balance'.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

"I have no intention of lying to you. I have not lied to you, but I have reserved my position just a little."

What exactly does that mean?

OK, so it looks like it's bye bye for Flav, perhaps the curtain call for Renault F1, but the big question...

Does Flav throw himself on the sword or protect his client, Little Miss Sunshine?
Assuming Piquet AND Symmonds knew (hence the immunity), then how could Alonso NOT know?

Memo to Luca: are you really sure you want to do this?

Quick Reply: FIA investigating deliberate crash to promote Alonso to race win