Sponsored by:

FIA investigating deliberate crash to promote Alonso to race win

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:29 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
If proven, this is serious and may result in sanctions that bring the end for Team Renault.
Conspiracy theorists, here you go... Say you're Renault, and you want a graceful way out of F1 (read: good excuse), that sticks to everyone you are done with (NP, FB, and FA). Is this that scenario??
Old 09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FIA is in France. Renault is French. Alonzo is not French, but can hurl insults like a Frenchman. You never know...
Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

In Joe Saward's blog, he related thit it is believed that the FIA had engaged Quest, a well-known London-based corporate intelligence and investigation company to handle the investigation. That is interesting that the FIA is bringing professionals in on this. Given that they have requested Renaul to attend a WMSC hearing, it seems that they must believe there is some evidence.

Amazing if true. I find it hard to imagine a driver crashing purposely.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:03 AM
jmreiser
Instructor

Wow. That practice spin on the formation lap was a hell of a coincidence. It looks like at least "some evidence" to me.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:13 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah man...I think he made the "OK" handsign with his thumb and index finger.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Wow, this is getting interesting. They admit to discussing it before the race and the data seems to suggest it's true. Wonder what Alonso is thinking right now?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78446

Race-day meeting key to Renault case

By Jonathan Noble and Michele Lostia Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 16:20 GMT

A meeting between Nelson Piquet, Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds hours before last year's Singapore Grand Prix is central to the race fixing allegations surrounding the Renault team, AUTOSPORT has learned.

With the FIA's World Motor Sport Council due to meet on September 21 for Renault to answer charges that the team caused a deliberate crash in Singapore last year to help Fernando Alonso win, sources have confirmed for the first time background details of the case.

AUTOSPORT understands that key to what happened in the race is the discussion that took place in one of Renault's offices at the Singapore track on the Sunday, where race tactics were discussed between Piquet, team principal Briatore and director of engineering Symonds.

Sources claim that in evidence submitted to the FIA by Nelson Piquet, the Brazilian driver says he was asked by Briatore and Symonds to crash deliberately early in the race so as to help Alonso win.

Piquet says that he agreed to do so because he felt uncomfortable about his situation at the team, with Renault having not renewed his contract for 2009 at that time - and Briatore was stalling on making a firm commitment. Piquet suggests that he only went ahead and caused the accident because he felt he would be rewarded for his actions.

In his evidence, Piquet claims that he was taken aside by Symonds after the first meeting and instructured that he should crash on lap 13 or 14, shortly after Alonso's scheduled first stop, at Turn 17.

The reason this part of the track was singled out was because there were no cranes present there to lift the car away, so any accident would virtually guarantee a safety car.

Piquet's claims have, however, been denied by both Briatore and Symonds in documents that are believed to have been submitted with the FIA. Although they confirm that the meeting between the three of them took place, both suggest that it was Piquet's own suggestion to cause an accident.

Sources claim that the Singapore race-fix matter came to light on July 26 - the day of Piquet's last race for Renault in Hungary - when his father Nelson contacted FIA president Max Mosley to make him aware of what had happened.

Piquet Jr. then visited the FIA's headquarters in Paris on July 30 to present a statement to FIA representatives, believed to be stewards' advisor Alan Donnelly, and external investigators from the Quest agency.

Following Piquet's testimony, the three stewards from the Singapore Grand Prix, plus two external investigators from Quest, were flown to the Belgian Grand Prix to conduct interviews with Renault representatives.

A report in Italian magazine Autosprint also suggests that telemetry data from Piquet's car has emerged as another reason why the matter has gone to the WMSC.

At Turn 17 where Piquet crashed, normally the rear wheels of the Renault would lose grip on the exit - requiring the driver to ease off the throttle briefly. However, on the lap he crashed, Piquet kept accelerating even though the rear wheels had lost grip.

Briatore is reported to have claimed that he was: "a victim of extortion by the Piquet family.

"I confirm the meeting with Piquet on Sunday morning, but nothing like that was ever talked about. I also remember that Piquet at Singapore was in a very fragile state of mind. Besides that, there are the audio recordings where I express disappointment when I see on the screens that Piquet had crashed."

Symonds is also reported as saying: "It's true, during the Sunday meeting with Piquet the issue of deliberately causing a SC deployment came up, but it was proposed by Piquet himself. It was just a conversation."

Renault has said it will not comment on the matter officially before the WMSC hearing later this month.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:00 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the crash , next year Flav will fire you like a dog and you can tell the FIA on him ...

Anyone expect PK to remember which laps 1 hr later , what a teammate , Rubinho used to pull over , now Nelsinho. crashes for his teammate , Senna must be turning in his grave ........
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hmmm dis situations seems vaguely familiar ahhh yes ,, the great Stoolmacher

Disclosure:

Schumacher himself told a German newspaper one week ago that he might quit Benetton if he finds out the trouble-plagued team knowingly broke rules behind his back.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/m...e-1448790.html

Behind his back ...

Schumacher's Benetton uses illegal fuel rig to pass Senna in pitstop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad6l2...eature=related

Schumacher Illegal xtra button 'Launch Control' France GP 1994 Benetton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYca6...ature=related\

From wiki :

Controversy
The Benetton B194-Cosworth

During the 1994 season, some rival teams claimed Benetton had found a way to violate the FIA-imposed ban on electronic aids, including Traction Control and Launch Control. On investigation, the FIA discovered "start sequence" (launch control) software in the Benetton B194 cars, and a variety of illegal software in rival teams' cars as well. FIA had no evidence the software was ever used, so teams found with the software received little to no punishment. No traction control software was found to be in the Benetton cars, however. Flavio Briatore, Benetton's chief in 1994, said in 2001 that "Our only mistake was that at the time we were too young and people were suspicious".[1]

During the 1994 season Benetton removed a fuel filter from the refueling rig used during pit stops. This may have resulted in a fire that took place during Jos Verstappen's first pitstop at Hockenheim.[citation needed]...

Ahhh hmmm, is it Fernando and Stoolmacher is one, controversy and WDC seem to follow them ..........
Old 09-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wayne, you come off a little silly with the constant "it's Shumi's fault" mantra. Shumi's retired buddy, deal with it.

If Alonso's involved in stupid **** (yet again) it's got nothing to do with Michael. Personally, I hope it's not true as the sport really doesn't need this crap right now and I'd hate to see Renault pull out of F1.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:15 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Wayne, you come off a little silly with the constant "it's Shumi's fault" mantra. Shumi's retired buddy, deal with it.

If Alonso's involved in stupid **** (yet again) it's got nothing to do with Michael. Personally, I hope it's not true as the sport really doesn't need this crap right now and I'd hate to see Renault pull out of F1.
Ray ,

Didn't say schumi fault ... i said they are one and the same , now you deal with it as both have stupid **** following them. Shoomachers Benetton sins are eerily similar to current happenings ........

Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"Briatore is reported to have claimed that he was: "a victim of extortion by the Piquet family."

Why do I get the feeling that Ron Dennis just read this and laughed.

Once again, Little Miss Sunshine Alonso just brings sunlight and bunny rabbits with her no matter where she goes.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,785 Posts

So let's go through the progression of the Fernando Alonso agent, A. Wayne:

Step 1: Denial. "Where did you get this info, the Enquirer?"

Step 2: Deflection: "Piquet crashed every race. Why would this be different?"

Step 3: Deflection: "Well, well, Michael did this, Michael did that".

See a pattern? I'm waiting for the "Well, Alonso did not know about this". Sound familiar? I believe Alonso also denied knowing about McLaren having the stolen Ferrari secrets. Then when caught, he denied that he had used the secrets, then when caught again, he blackmailed his team principle. Then, Alonso, to save his Superlicense, cooperated with the FIA to bring about the biggest fine in all of organized sports of $100,000,000.00 and the lost of all constructor title points. The team was in such disarray and no one could trust anyone that McLaren ended up losing the WDC between both their drivers that year to Kimi Rakkienen.

With the admission of Pat Symonds indicating that there was a discussion prior to the race about an intentional crash scenario, where to have the crash, why to have it there and when to have it, there is more than enough evidence to move forward with a case against the team. Couple this with the telemetry data that indicates that a driver loses grip on corner exit and must lift, but Pinquet continued to accelerate beyond the point of adheshion, you see we have the makings of serious penalty.

Several people have said that they hope this is not true because Renault could pull out of F1. I say, "What does it matter???". We've lost Honda and BMW next year. Should we let Renault off the hook and turn a blind eye because we're afraid to lose them? What deterent is that for other teams?

The only thing missing in that Fernando Alonso had prior knowledge of this. So far it hasn't come out, but as in the McLaren/Ferrari secret case, he eventually gets caught more than once in his web of lies. Unfortunately, he is now moving teams.

My fellow Rennlisters, I continue to be vigilant in search of the truth. I will not let this go away. Eventhough it has been a year ago, I also continue to investigate the mysterious pass when Glock let Hamilton by on the last corner of the last lap in Brazil in 2008 and gifting him the WDC. One investigation at a time. Rome was not built in a day. In these tough times, however, I'm not afforded the budget to deputize additional investigators!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
"Briatore is reported to have claimed that he was: "a victim of extortion by the Piquet family."

Why do I get the feeling that Ron Dennis just read this and laughed.

Once again, Little Miss Sunshine Alonso just brings sunlight and bunny rabbits with her no matter where she goes.
Yeah ... well where did the report or PK say Alonso had anything to do with this

Maybe secret Agent Amigo 1 might pull a rabbit out of his hat on this one , so far he has scored zero on his last task of proving Hamilton made a deal with Toyota

Now what's that extra button on Alonso steering wheel ..............
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Yeah ... well where did the report or PK say Alonso had anything to do with this
And there it is... finally.... "Alonso had nothing to do with it...." as predicted my fellow Rennlisters....

This will be the 2nd team in 3 years that is heavily penalize in the wake of Alonso's departure to a competitor...
Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe secret Agent Amigo 1 might pull a rabbit out of his hat on this one , so far he has scored zero on his last task of proving Hamilton made a deal with Toyota
Well, if I were Glock, I probably would have waited a few days before being photographed in my new McLaren SLR at the end of last season....

Now what's that extra button on Alonso steering wheel ..............
Midol dispenser

Quick Reply: FIA investigating deliberate crash to promote Alonso to race win