Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIA investigating deliberate crash to promote Alonso to race win

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

The article I linked to in post 151 has excerpts from the first interview that was done with Symonds, including that “reserve my position” quote. Basically, Symonds declines to answer all of the questions that would possibly implicate him or the team. One would think if he was asked point-blank if he (for example) had shown Piquet where to crash on a circuit map, that he would have simply answered “No” had that been the truth rather than indicating that he did not want to answer it.

This offer of immunity indicates that the FIA is interested in going after the biggest fish, which in this pond must be Briatore. When one reads the interview transcript, it seems rather likely that Symonds could be in a position where he may be offered a secret golden parachute to take all the blame and not implicate others. Of course this may require him to ultimately lie, and I can only speculate whether he would contemplate that.

Now, with the offer of immunity, he would have a choice to make. Take whatever Flavio and Co. might offer, or tell the truth and live to get another job in F1.

Of course, both of the offers of immunity are contingent on the individuals being completely truthful.

Having had to testify twice this year in Federal courts in the U.S. on behalf of the company I work for, I can’t imagine having the nerve to tell even a slight fib under oath. It really is a daunting feeling.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Memo to Luca: are you really sure you want to do this?
+1

I see little upside in exposing Ferrari to this scandal.

Cue A. Wayne to explain that it's all Michaels fault....

Last edited by Ray S; 09-15-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, so it looks like it's bye bye for Flav, perhaps the curtain call for Renault F1, but the big question...
I'd agree. Originally, I thought that Symonds would play the fall guy, but it looks like that position could fall to Flav.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
"I have no intention of lying to you. I have not lied to you, but I have reserved my position just a little."

What exactly does that mean?

OK, so it looks like it's bye bye for Flav, perhaps the curtain call for Renault F1, but the big question...

Does Flav throw himself on the sword or protect his client, Little Miss Sunshine?
Assuming Piquet AND Symmonds knew (hence the immunity), then how could Alonso NOT know?

Memo to Luca: are you really sure you want to do this?
Well he did it in 95 and ironically that lowly driver was going to Ferrari , hmmm this should turn out well .......
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Cue A. Wayne to explain that it's all Michaels fault....
Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Well he did it in 95 and ironically that lowly driver was going to Ferrari , hmmm this should turn out well .......
^^ Nailed it....
Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

^^ Nailed it....
Yup. As predictable as the sun coming up every morning.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

^^ Nailed it....
Yup. As if on cue.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-15-2009, 11:59 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ahhh the amigos and their sand fly Mascot ..........................
Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Ahhh the amigos and their sand fly Mascot ..........................
TRANSLATION: "wow, you guys are absolutely correct! I self-impaled yet again!"

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-15-2009, 02:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Partially OT, but even in the karting community, this is 'news'.

Alonso is builidng a new karting track in the North of Spain, someone in this thread asks if there are going to be any walls so teammates can practice intentionally crashing....no, there is no safety car in karting.

http://ekartingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=86694
Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Partially OT, but even in the karting community, this is 'news'.

Alonso is builidng a new karting track in the North of Spain, someone in this thread asks if there are going to be any walls so teammates can practice intentionally crashing....no, there is no safety car in karting.

http://ekartingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=86694
Ha, rumor has it that when the FIA suspends him, Fernanado himself will be collecting the $10 at the gate for wristband insurance. At least he'll stay out of trouble that way (unless he files a fraudulent insurance claim for an accident)
Old 09-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Ha, rumor has it that when the FIA suspends him, Fernanado himself will be collecting the $10 at the gate for wristband insurance. At least he'll stay out of trouble that way (unless he files a fraudulent insurance claim for an accident)
Hmmm, Montoya to Nascar and Alonso to Karts?

Yeah, I guess that sounds about right.....
Old 09-15-2009, 03:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, Montoya to Nascar and Alonso to Karts, shooomacher to Scooters ?

Yeah, I guess that sounds about right.....
yeah sounds about right
Attached Images    
Old 09-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

yeah sounds about right
The big difference in those three......MS is retired......
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21826.html

SEPTEMBER 15, 2009
The future of Renault in Formula 1
The problems that have descended on Renault F1 in recent weeks are very serious and if the team is found guilty of race-fixing by the FIA World Council on September 21, the big question is not how the individuals involved are punished, but whether the team and driver Fernando Alonso should be made to suffer as well. The FIA has a problem in that Article 123 of the International Sporting Code states that "the entrant shall be responsible for all acts or omissions on the part of their driver, mechanic and passengers, each equally responsible for any breach of this code". The FIA may choose to ignore this because it does not necessarily want to punish the team for fear that Renault chief Carlos Ghosn will decide to get rid of the company's involvement in F1. The French firm has made a commitment to stay until the end of 2012, but there is nothing to stop the team being given to someone else or being sold if Renault decides to get out. And that could mean that two or even three teams would be looking engines in 2010.

However it is unlikely that the World Council will try to do what happened in 1994 when Benetton admitted cheating but escaped major punishment as the FIA ruled that the changes had been made by "a junior employee". There was a separate secret deal in which Benetton agreed to make management changes to the team. This was an expedient solution but it could hardly be argued to be following the rules. A year later Toyota was caught using illegal turbo restrictors on the Catalunya Rally in Spain. The team admitted the situation and argued that it had been done without the knowledge of the team management. In that case the FIA World Council threw out the argument - and banned Toyota from the World Rally Championship for 12 months.

"The team has to take responsibility," FIA President Max Mosley said at the time.

Renault will not enjoy the publicity relating to its allegedly errant team, but may conclude that the best thing to do would be to get rid of the operation and then pull back to become a simple engine supplier, as it was in the 1990s. The investment needed for this is virtually nothing and the publicity is good. There is the added bonus that there is already a strong Renault-related brand that could be used. The "Williams-Renault" partnership was one of the most successful in the history of the sport. Williams wants the engines (if Mercedes-Benz engines are not available) but that deal was being blocked by Flavio Briatore, who was trying to manoeuvre Robert Kubica into a position where he would sign for Renault but telling Williams that they could not have the engines if they signed Kubica.

The latest suggestions is that Williams is looking closely at Cosworth instead.

Quick Reply: FIA investigating deliberate crash to promote Alonso to race win