Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

News from the Thunderbolt race?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Frankly yeah, Fred, I do prefer to mix it up. When we run with NASA we get our own starts, so it's nice to have it both ways, although it only takes a few laps and we're all duking anyway.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Staggered starts? I hope we won't see them again in PCA. Isn't more fun for the 944 cup guys to also have to deal with other cars? More action, more strategy and racecraft, more risks.
You didn't like the split starts at the Glen Enduro this year? I did..
Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You didn't like the split starts at the Glen Enduro this year? I did..
Nope.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Some clips from blue sprint races 2 and 3.
Sprint race 3: The video is from the start to the point where I get back into 2nd position overall, where I finished. I really enjoyed dicing it with Tim Costa in the white spbox.
http://vimeo.com/6365262
Fred,
it's a revealing video, but did you really like the way Costa chopped you three times? My take is that you and I caught up to him from pretty far back in a little over one lap, it looks like I'm keeping a constant gap on you up to that point, not that I intended it to last, but he then holds me up after we've shown that we're faster, you get by me and then he gives you a hell of a time. I had already decided to stay out of it by then (I race with my wallet).
Don't get me wrong, I love a hard dice as much as anyone, but if a guy catches me, I'll give him a fair pass and then go after him, none of this blocking crap, especially if it's out of my class.
Your take?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Fred,
it's a revealing video, but did you really like the way Costa chopped you three times? My take is that you and I caught up to him from pretty far back in a little over one lap, it looks like I'm keeping a constant gap on you up to that point, not that I intended it to last, but he then holds me up after we've shown that we're faster, you get by me and then he gives you a hell of a time. I had already decided to stay out of it by then (I race with my wallet).
Don't get me wrong, I love a hard dice as much as anyone, but if a guy catches me, I'll give him a fair pass and then go after him, none of this blocking crap, especially if it's out of my class.
Your take?
Perhaps my definition of a chop is different than yours. I certainly didn't see anything objectionable from Tim in that video. It just looked like hard, clean, racing. Where did you see chopping?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Fred,
Your take?

I don't think Tim chopped me once. At turn 1 he easily outbraked me. Pretty normal given the size of the brakes on the spbox compared to my 1980 SC. The first time I tried passing him in 7 he gave me plenty of room inside (once he realized that I was beating him to it) but I failed to take advantage of the situation because of small but uncomfortable understeer that could have pushed me way to the outside on exit. He was lurking outside and seized the moment to step on the gas and keep his position. The next lap I was never really close enough to expect him to give me room until we got to 7 again. I did not make the same mistake twice and got by him at the last second. Tim is competitive and appears very aware on the track. You seem to have had a different experience with him and that's very possible.

You were very clean and it was a lot of fun racing with you and your gang.

What do you mean by revealing?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately we all survived that one without any real problem.
The white boxster did cut quickly in front of me at the entry to T1 but it was clear that he was going to.
I would and have done the same.

Once I know who I can trust I find racing even more fun and closer encounters seem to be the norm.

I think the most aggressive move made on me all weekend was by gums at end of the part 1 of the enduro race video I posted. But I new ahead of time that he could pull it off and knew he was going to go for it. I left him room to complete the move. No point in trying to block the move as my intention was to pit anyway.
Nicely done Frank
Old 09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I don't think Tim chopped me once. At turn 1 he easily outbraked me.
I just looked again and I don't see any chopping or reaction by you to Tim doing anything you weren't expecting. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Garylimey
I think the most aggressive move made on me all weekend was by gums at end of the part 1 of the enduro race video I posted. But I new head he pull it off and knew he was going to go for it. I left him room to complete the move.
Nicely done Frank
One of my favorite races was dicing it out with Frank at Limerock, though as a rookie I think I was a little TOO gentlemanly..
Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I did the DE with Jersey Shore Region before the club race and met quite a few racers and was interested in how they did. I found results this evening at the PCA forum under" Club Racing" "Results"
Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.

One of my favorite races was dicing it out with Frank at Limerock, though as a rookie I think I was a little TOO gentlemanly..
Frank likes that
Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garylimey
Frank likes that
Those days are over...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

OK then, I'm a gentleman racer. I'll take it, and thank you very much.
And I will stand corrected as well, if lurking outside until the last instant is ok then I'll live with it. I don't work that way, you can know that, but I am well aware how to counter it.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Now take a look at this, and tell me if I'm wrong again, particularly at 2:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6o1ji5PWCI

Old 09-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now take a look at this, and tell me if I'm wrong again, particularly at 2:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6o1ji5PWCI

Yeah, I'd say that 2:52 was a chop, but the rest was just hard racing and Tim unwilling to give an inch. Of course, you did dive-bomb him at the end, so I score it Tim 1, Frank 1.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yeah, I'd say that 2:52 was a chop, but the rest was just hard racing and Tim unwilling to give an inch. Of course, you did dive-bomb him at the end, so I score it Tim 1, Frank 1.
Thats my take also...

Quick Reply: News from the Thunderbolt race?