Sponsored by:

News from the Thunderbolt race?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TwentySix
I heard that Valentine had missed the double yellow flag before running full on into the 996 Cup, which was destroyed... he was not penalized?
Actually, I had heard it just the opposite which is why I wanted to see what anyone else knew. RJ did race on Sunday so he was obviously not penalized. Maynard was not happy about the accident. The whole group had to go to a "special" meeting but I never heard the official ruling.

The passing under yellow in all the groups was pretty bad this weekend, both local and full course.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Actually, I had heard it just the opposite which is why I wanted to see what anyone else knew. RJ did race on Sunday so he was obviously not penalized. Maynard was not happy about the accident. The whole group had to go to a "special" meeting but I never heard the official ruling.

The passing under yellow in all the groups was pretty bad this weekend, both local and full course.
It could well have just been me, but I thought that the flag stations were not that obvious to see and you really had to 'look' for them. Not saying there is any excuse for not seeing flags but other tracks the stations are much more obvious in your natural line of sight
Old 09-02-2009, 05:10 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WOW!

Originally Posted by gums
Let it go? We're gonna get 10 pages out of this!
No, it's been an eye opener for me and I'm glad to have all you guys to bounce this off of.
I knew you had to be lurking, Tim, so thanks for that and let me just say a few things and then I will let this go (maybe).
In the back of my mind I was considering that maybe this guy Tim is really good and does have a lot of experience and maybe it is ok. But, I will tell you that I was locked in a points chase (in which I now prevailed) with Ken Stadt, who is my buddy, and we raced all weekend long, every session, passing repassing and really going at it. After each session we'd get out and hug over it. So I love close racing, but I don't know you well enough to trust you, and when I did speak to you about it, it was clearly falling on deaf ears. I will also tell you that I've now fielded a handful of PM's behind the scenes here from other R-listers who clearly don't like racing you and question your tactics, some going so far as to say that it's well known and PCA won't do anything about it.
Further, I don't care what you say, and I don't have it on video, but the Sunday start of Sprint 3, at 9am into T1 for the first time, as the pace lap doesn't go through there and there was no warm up, was the most irresponsible dive bomb from I don't know how many rows back into standing water that I've ever seen. Sure, you dug it because it worked, but as I've said before, no one else was impressed .
OK, this is starting to sound like sour grapes for which I apologize. I have no beef with you, Tim, I will race you again, I now know what I'm dealing with, I'm glad to know that you are a capable and experienced driver, I am flattered that you trust me that much, and I'm open to your commentary and opinion. It's always a learning experience and I thank you for that and for being a sport. Please don't take this as a pissing match, that's not where I'm coming from.
In sport,
Franz
Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
I honestly believe that I was just racing as hard as I could for the point of winning which is what I thought I signed up for.
+1
I've been doing this longer than most, (95'), and I have not seen anything that would bother me. Tim is driving great and you have to expect that he is not going to give you anything and you have to expect his moves. He is driving 10/10th's Most out there are not! Sorry IMO. Great Vids. Thanks All.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yeah, I'd say that 2:52 was a chop,
I respectfully disagree. Look in Frank's side mirror right before Tim's move. Looked like Tim simply outbraked Frank and shot into the hole in front of him. Seemed solid to me, and, as others have pointed out, raised the degree of difficulty for Tim to maintain pace due to a tighter radius...but he did it anyway.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
+1
I've been doing this longer than most, (95'), and I have not seen anything that would bother me.
We never did that to each other, did we?

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I respectfully disagree. Look in Frank's side mirror right before Tim's move. Looked like Tim simply outbraked Frank and shot into the hole in front of him.
Frank and I talked about it later, and in retrospect we both felt that he allowed that move to happed because he angled towards the apex instead of running straight down the track and holding Tim to the outside, taking a later turn-in to the apex.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I have to suck wind here, because the vote is clearly on the "good aggressive racing" side, but where I grew up, perhaps in DE land, when a guy outqualifies you in every session, and catches up to you from behind everytime, even if you can't show it on a video; it's called blocking.
If any of you guys draw up on me and put a pass on, I'm going to give it to you and then chase after you. If I can't keep up, guess what? You win. And we both get to drive another day.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ qualifying time and racing are totally two different things. i am new to racing, somewhat. i often qualify quite well. but in racing there are traffic which i haven't mastered how to deal with. the fast guy usually dont win the race. the strategy guy does.

the box wasn't blocking you. he's aggressive and defensive sometimes. but not blocking. weaving back and forth on the straight is blocking. holding you hold without zig zagging is not blocking. you need to figure out how to get by him.

i qual'd 1:44 two weekends ago. i was 1:46 in the race. i was held up by someone who qualified at 1:46. but he was a better racer than i. i may be faster that day, but he's better in race craft. i can bumper draft him, but i dont know how to get by him. but he wasn't blocking me.

racing is an aggressive sport. we went three wide into andretti hairpin at LS two weeks ago. i was in the middle, if i sneezed, i would have rubbed paint off the car to my left and right, we were that close, i wasn't going to back down. neither would they.

and if someone was really blocking me, i would just punt him into a wall hard instead of discussing it afterwards.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
It could well have just been me, but I thought that the flag stations were not that obvious to see and you really had to 'look' for them. Not saying there is any excuse for not seeing flags but other tracks the stations are much more obvious in your natural line of sight
Some are very obvious and some are not. I particularly found the one that was holding up the "PIt Closed" sign very hard to see coming out of the Octopus.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
... when a guy outqualifies you in every session, and catches up to you from behind everytime... it's called blocking.

If any of you guys draw up on me and put a pass on, I'm going to give it to you and then chase after you. If I can't keep up, guess what? You win.
No it's not, not by any stretch.

Why are you even racing then? Sounds like you want a DE.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would just punt him into a wall hard instead of discussing it afterwards.
Oh boy, the Intimidator just showed up.

Is this your kind of punt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b036OYyiwoc

Quick Reply: News from the Thunderbolt race?